My new pump

I know this is old hat to most of you guys, but all new to me. Thought I would share this for other newbies. I just acquired my first PCP, a Benjamin Marauder Field & Target .22. Of course I need a source of air. I ordered a Nomad II compressor, but will not get it for a few weeks. I decided that a pump would be a good back up anyway so I got an Air Venturi MK4 Hill with Dry-Pac system and it just arrived. I just finished charging my rifle. Set up was easy and straight forward. The actual filling was moderately hard. On the one hand I am a big guy ( 6' 1" @ 285lbs ) with an athletic background . On the other I am 67 with arthritis and a heart condition. I took my time and paused at the top and bottom of each stroke. I worked in 50 pump sets for the first 150, took a break and slowed down to 10 pump sets for the last 50. The 200 pumps got me to 2800 psi and it took about 10 minutes. The good news is that next time I won't start off so low. I am happy to say that I found this very doable. It is actually great exercise. Makes me question spending $650 for the Nomad II. (Not really, just kidding)

Welcome to the world of PCP airguns! (some call it the darkside of airgunning....once you go PCP you'll never go back..or so they say) I still have my Hill hand pump and my first PCP, the Benjamin Marauder .25. I will say one thing about hand pumping, it will make you appreciate every-time you pull the trigger! Nice thing like you mentioned is the fill process will become easier now that you have it filled and will not be shooting it down to "zero" PSI before refilling. Also as you mentioned, it is great exercise and just part of the fun of airgunning!!! Enjoy. (especially the new compressor when it arrives. lol)

The Goose, I did exactly what you did, exactly 13 months ago. Got into PCP guns, and the first purchase was a 25 Marauder synthetic and the Hill set up you have. I, too, am over 6’ with an athletic and bodybuilding background, but the seven back surgeries from “paying from playing” has caught up to me, and no more pumping for me. You are actually one step ahead of me by already having a compressor in route. All I can suggest to you at this moment is try and keep that pump in mint condition, and pray your compressor comes in before the time frame for being able to return purchases expires. Believe me when I say you won’t be using that hand pump anymore, unless you are depending on pumping as part of your daily exercise routine. 

I just posted a question asking these folks on AGN if anyone that has advanced to a compressor or fill tank still use or have kept their hand pumps. I got great responses, and I would say 20% ended up selling their pump, and the rest have wrapped up the pump and stored it for a back up, for that one day that still hasn’t arrived. 

Im only encouraging you to return the pump, because that’s like another $285 that could go into your marauder(reseal kits, moderator, fill tank, aftermarket parts, etc.) or maybe save up for the next one, cause more than likely there will be a new want of another gun in the future. That’s why it’s called the Dark Side, lol. Great hobby, btw.

if you do like to hand pump, though, then disregard all I have said, ok

Well welcome to the "air gun addiction" .....once sampled there is virtually no going back. I started 5 years ago with one brake barrel and over a dozen and a half powder burners. I now own 4 powder burners and 7 air guns !! I have been running off a nitrogen tank as the closest air fill is 2 1/2 hours away ...of course the closest grocery store and red light are also 64 miles away !! (lol) I am going to purchase a compressor and am watching all the comments here on this part of the AGN forum. I had a hand pump and sold it as soon as I bought my nitrogen setup. I agree with Bigragu that unless you really enjoy the pumping just return it if you can, or sell it here on AGN. Please keep us posted on your Nomad purchase and experience.