My new personal best ELR 540 YARDS! 😁👍

So for some stupid reason I was reading everyone's extreme long range hits and personal best. I've been going my own speed when it comes to ELR and I've been ok with that. I wanted to eventually hit 500 yards by the end of the year. But for some reason today I just thought, well the range I go to does go out pretty far to 880 yards.
15414442687552-1-1024x639 (1).jpg

Why don't I just see if it will even group at 500 yards? Well easier said than done. At that distance just a couple miles and hour wind can move things quite a bit. Plus as good as my scope is, it does not have that amount of elevation. I do have a nice adjustable eagle vision rings. For 200 to 300 yards I tend to space up the rear adjustment up about 0.062 inch with a couple feeler gauges and leave the front adjustment all the way down. Took a couple shots to make sure it was shooting ok at 200, 300, then cranked the adjustment on the scope more for 400+ yard line. Unfortunately like most hills, it starts to get a bit breezy as the morning heats up.
Between the 400 and the next large line which is kind of a half way line is 500 yards!
Screenshot_20230911_200303_Gallery.jpg

There was a couple steels there, I pick the largest one which I thought was 12 inches square. Well it wasn't. 😆
20230911_120604.jpg

It was 8x8. I hit that several times but since it was kinda breezy it was not so easy to hit. I drove up in my craptastic car, even thought I got hung up on the rocks once. Boy, when I turned around the shooting tables at the bottom of the range sure looked like it was way down there!
20230911_120656.jpg

Surprisingly enough when I went back to the table to put everything away the wind started dying down! I figured I'd take advantage of the situation. Well I ran out of scope again so I raise the back of the scope another 0.028 inches for a total of 0.090 plus 20 moa.this took me to the 540 yard line with the big wabbits. I did not think I did that good until I saw in the video that showed all the POIs were 1/2 to 1.25 mil to the right of zero. But me trying to read the breeze was kinda futile.

Edit I shortened the vid as it was a long 6 mins.

4 wabbits at 540 yards right? I had to reload a just after the first hit as I just finished the 5 in the mag at a time. In the long version you can see I nick the wabbits a couple times but not hard enough to knock them down.. I decided to go home while I was ahead. Sorry it is a little loud with the live gun fire and I was a little giddy when I knocked each one over. It's a little long too because I did not speed it up.

Allen

Last edited:
just curious if anyone knows what kind of scope mount I saw on a post here.. I used to have a rws 48 in 22 and it had a one piece scope mount and you could loosen screws and adjust the base so you were shooting dead on and didn't use the adjustment on the scope until you fine tuned it..
so the base I saw would be perfect for exl shooting.. it was a one piece mount with rings but it had what looked like a elevation wheel in the back so you could easily use it to go long range without having to readjust scope mount or use the scope turret and run out of adjustment..
any ideas what I saw and where to get it?. Mark

Good job!!👏

With an adjustable scope base and a Absolute MOA Digital Readout Kit you'd be wreaking havoc all over that course at will !
can you please explain what you are describing.. maybe links.. it's possible it's what I saw somewhere so you could adjust the scope with a adjustment wheel and I would assume it has some type of veneer scale?. Mark

Man that was great shooting!
I'd be giddy too.

Which slugs did you settle on?
I was firing the .25 altaros 49.5 grain. I was out of the 60 gr. I'm actually out of the 49.5 now too so I guess I need to make a big order. This is firing out of the .25 700mm superior heavy with the 1:16 twist

Allen

HOLY CRAP! That beats the he'll out of my 178 yard kill with my Boss & pellets. Beats the hell out of my ego too. Thanks! (Although, I did miss a 2" target by only a pellet width at 286 yards with Centercut's Panthera - still happy about that! )
Thanks, but I was shooting off of a bench. If I was hunting like what you normally do I would have scared all the wabbits by now. 🤣

Allen

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
Wow impressive shooting!!!! That is a amazing shooting range!!!!Here in the East long range is challenging.....
Thanks, this range is actually pretty nice. I am surprised there are not more ranges like this. And for me currently it is the only range that goes out this far so it is worth the 1.5 hour drive each way when I come out and shoot.

Allen

Wow, I'm once again in awe of what airguns can do.
Very, very cool. 👏🏼
You are a very good shooter. Respect!!

➠ I will be saving up for a gun that can go the distance. XLR — eXtreme Long Range — yeah, I want that! 😊

However, I'm still waiting for the industry to work together and come up with a way to coordinate the production of (sturdy, bump-resistant) BARRELS and PROJECTILES that get along well....

So far, from reading hundreds of posts on LR and XLR, I get the impression that to shoot XLR successfully — you have to be lucky, or invest a lot of time and money.
Of the 3 requirements, I'm short on only 3 of these.... 😆

So, I bide my time.
And I buy other equipment that I'l need: a good range finder.
And a good long range scope.
And I'm looking at other areas of our hobby that are further ahead in the development — like semi-automatic pistols that have power like a full sized PCP! 🤩

What a great hobby. Thanks to the OP for sharing his joy. 😊
"Giddy"? — Yeah, me too, just thinking about it.

Matthias

And Rod should you decide to come out here is the calendar!

I just went out this past monday. I tend to go every other Monday which is also my day off. Every other Monday. Maybe one monday we can meet up. 😊👍

Allen
Allen,
Very generous and thoughtful of you for the invite.
Your Pala range is a bit out of my EV car range on a single charge.
Fortunately, I do have a 1000 yard range in San Luis Obispo and within in my EV range.

If ever I do make it farther south, I would definitely me interested in a shoot meetup with you.

Thanks again for the invite
Rod in San Francisco