My new P35

P35 scoped.1635709198.jpg
I bought an Artemis (aka Snow Peak) P35 less than 2 weeks ago from Krale in the Netherlands. They got it to me in 4 working days. The key reason I got it is I shoot from the left shoulder because I am left eye dominant and, unlike other reasonably priced bullpups, it has the cocking handle in the middle and a flush magazine on the right (where my face is). Key features:

About 28 inches long (with 450mm barrel)

About 5.2 lbs

Regulated

265cc air chamber, I get 70 30+ fpe shots with a 3500 fill

Rated for 250 bar fill

8 shot magazine (it comes with one)

It comes with a complete set of seals and tools to maintain it.

Not everything is roses, of course. The magazine is a little balky and I want more than one. CARM makes them but not currently a flush fit 25 caliber. The manual is almost useless. There is a facebook group but otherwise you pretty much have to figure things out yourself.

I'm getting groups about 1/4 inch center to center when I do my part at 25 and 33 yards with H&N FTT and .250 34 grain Slug HP (also H&N). I ordered some lighter H&N slugs in .249 to see if that diameter also works. Velocity is only about 650 fps with the slugs and about 850 fps with the FTT. FPE is about the same for both preferred projectiles.

Been a big fan of my P15's. I have them in all 3 calibers (.177, .22 and .25). My most used guns, by far. Glad to see the new model is treating you well shooting it like a lefty. The forward cocking is certainly an improvement although the rear cocking lever has never bothered me. A guy I follow on YouTube did a review of it. You may already know of him, his name is Aaron Cantrell.

I've got a customer sending me one in .177 that is to be .... A Blank check project of going threw it tip to tail being able to mod or correct any "thought as" short comings in design or QC etc ...

So over the next few months or so I'm going to dive all the way in and see what we have ? Is it just a side levered P15 ? or something else ... we shall see.

Scott S

Scott,

I'd be interested in what you find. I fire polished the barrel twice with JB and I think it helped. But you will undoubtedly remove the barrel and do a complete polish. I think it's rough but that's just a guess because I did not slug it or boroscope it.

I think it is just an upgraded, slightly, P15, but I do not have a P15 to compare it to so that is just what I hear.

I took the trigger assembly completely apart by mistake. I first tried to eliminate the first stage by adjusting the lever that transfers the trigger pull to the rear. I could do it but the safety would not work if I did. It is just a trigger block safety. So I put it back but possibly not exactly like before. In any event, it needed the length of the bar shortened 1/2 turn after ~50 shots and I did not diagnose that as the issue at first when the gun wouldn't fire. So I took it completely apart. The small parts look to be investment cast and were pretty smooth. Definitely steel like the housing. I thought the machining in the recess for the trigger parts was kind of rough so I filed it smoother. There is a nice little hole that seems designed to let you put a drop of lubricant on the sear engagement point. The only trigger adjustment is a 3mmx.5x6mm screw that adjusts sear engagement. I want a 8mm but messed up the McMaster Carr order so I will have to reorder one. The 6mm one will get the trigger to where I want it but doesn't stick out far enough to use the lock nut. I could put a drop of blue locktite on it but prefer to just get a slightly longer screw. The rod I was messing with the length of has a really tiny C-clip on it that you have to remove to change the length or remove the trigger assembly. I lost one and ordered 100 replacements.

I have not taken anything else apart except the butt pad (to lengthen the pull). The rubber part of mine popped off the grey piece at the top and then slid off at the bottom. The grey piece is secured with two screws. I will probably order a replacement butt pad to lengthen the pull without the wood spacer I added. There is a guy, I think he's in England, that prints them whatever width you want. He also offers a lower cheek piece and a few other things. I found his website in the Artemis facebook group.

I did modify the moderator based upon Aaron Cantrell's design (he does youtubes). It was surprising how much difference it made. I went from 85-88 db to less than 70db but left the gun at about 75db. Aaron just cut really cheap hair curlers from the dollar store, cut in half, with felt and then put them into the metal baffles that come in the moderator. You can slide the moderator forward to use more of these curler/baffle combinations. The quietest was about a 1 7/8 longer gun for me. I left it with one less combination and less than 1/2 inch longer than stock. With another one removed I can be stock length but still at least 5 db quieter than stock. For backyard use, I thought stock was OK for me but 10db less is even better to avoid unnecessarily alarming neighbors.

I also tried different hammer spring settings and think I improved accuracy with 1/4 turn less. I've read the regulator can be adjusted but you have to remove the end of the air chamber where the gauge is to get to it. And then have a really long screwdriver. Probably weld something up if I ever mess with it. The gun comes with the tool to remove the end of the air chamber. My regulator, on my 25, seems to be set about 110 bar.

Jim

I've got a customer sending me one in .177 that is to be .... A Blank check project of going threw it tip to tail being able to mod or correct any "thought as" short comings in design or QC etc ...

So over the next few months or so I'm going to dive all the way in and see what we have ? Is it just a side levered P15 ? or something else ... we shall see.

Scott S

Having both worked on the P15 and owning the P35. The P35 is just an upgraded version of the P15. The only change between the two due to the side lever rod that cocks the hammer, the mag bodies are different and are not interchangeable. P15 plenums and Huma regs works in both. 

Hi,

Good morning. I just ordered a P-35 in .177from Krale. I have a P-15 in .25 and it has been a good rifle. I like the light weight and ergonomics of the P-15 but being a lefty, the rear side cocking is a pain. I am hoping the P-35 can remedy some of that. I waited a long time, checking Krale every day, looks like they received a full shipment in .177, .22 and .25.

Hi,

Good morning. I just ordered a P-35 in .177from Krale. I have a P-15 in .25 and it has been a good rifle. I like the light weight and ergonomics of the P-15 but being a lefty, the rear side cocking is a pain. I am hoping the P-35 can remedy some of that. I waited a long time, checking Krale every day, looks like they received a full shipment in .177, .22 and .25.

Congrads! Hope you picked up a Huma and some ammo from them too. They have the best deals when you order in qty. You are really going to like your new P35. They are really easy to mod just like the P15. I never used the factory barrel on mine so I am curious how yours will perform. I'm still waiting for Stoeger to release their rebranded P35 version, XM1 Bullshark so I can pick one up in 22 cal. 

I ordered a 22 and a 177 P35 last Thursday and Krale shipped them this morning. So I should have them this week. I have scopes mounted in quick release one piece mounts and rough sighted on my 25 caliber ready to attach. I need more length of pull so I have those spacers made and stained but I still need to poly them before the guns get here.

Not completely sure yet but I will probably pull the barrels and check out the barrel port and the lead-in and crown before shooting them. May polish too. I will definitely clean the barrels and fill with air immediately to make sure they hold air. I will also adjust the triggers. I noticed fairly recently that the first stage and second stage trigger pulls are additive. My 25 got up to about 14 ounces on the first stage making a light second stage impossible. Fortunately it is very easy to reduce the first stage to 3 or 4 ounces and have a safe trigger pull under a pound. At least it is on my 25, I expect to get there with my new two too.

I've been wanting at least a 22 for months since noticing I can't use my 25 in stage game lands in SC during small game season. They require 22 or smaller. The 177 is mainly just because I am curious what it will do.

Another tip to anybody new to this gun is to watch your pins when you take the action from the stock. There are a few and they are not tight in their holes. The action being in the gun prevents them coming out but when you take it out (like to adjust the trigger) they can fall out. It has been easy to push them back in so far. I may put a drop of candle wax or a little blue loctite on them next time I have the action(s) out of the stock.

Reactions: nic4nac
UPS fibbed but it may be Krale's fault, I do not know. My new ones arrived in the U.S. on 5/30 but are still in Kentucky where UPS brought them in according to UPS's website. Their update detail listing says something about contacting the shipper for paperwork. At 10pm last night the same website said it would arrive by 7pm yesterday, however. Now they say 7pm today but I don't have a lot of trust in that when it also says they are still in Kentucky. Could happen, I guess.

So I am at a week since I ordered and counting. Impatiently.

Crash611,

I find the P35 to be pretty quiet with it's stock shroud (about 85db) and even quieter with a "hair curler" modification Aaron Cantrell describes in a youtube video. You could do both but the modified shroud is quieter than the pellets hitting the pellet trap for me. That is one of the advantages I see in the P35 - it's quiet without an add on moderator. I have one, bought it for my Avenger but don't use it on it either after finding an in shroud moderator that, with holes in the shroud, is quieter than my Tanto.

Jim

My rifles are still stuck in Kentucky with UPS. I spent about an hour on the phone trying to find somebody at UPS that would actually look at the situation but was finally successful. They claim there is an error on the invoice in the tarriff field. So I sent another email to Krale but they had not responded to my request from yesterday so I decided to call them. I think that will turn out better. They found the order and said they would contact UPS and sort it out. So I have some reason for hope. Krale is convinced it is not their error and note that they make several shipments to the U. S. a day so they know how to do the forms. Makes sense but is different from what UPS says. Maybe a problem with a customs person?

But my suggestion is if you have an issue with a Krale shipment to call them. They may reply eventually to emails (they promise within 5 days) but I found it not very satisfying. I don't know what a call to the Netherlands will cost me but if it's a few bucks and gets me the rifles sooner it will be money well spent in my mind at this point. I had to call twice to get through but once I did it did not take long to speak to a person who spoke english clearly and seemed knowledgable.

I won't get the credit card bill for the rifles for over a week so I will give it a day or two before calling the credit card company and reversing the charges. Hopefully I will not have to do that but it has worked before to get a merchant's attention.

Last time I had no issue.

Jim,

Thanks for the information it's why I bookmarked this thread. UPS was a no show yesterday but I got it today just in time for tropical storm Alex to ruin the weekend. I cleaned the barrel and it was the worst I've had yet. Ran some quick chrono numbers but only had time for 1 mag each. FX 16 gr at 880 average with a XS of 14 and FX 18.1 at 853 average with an XS of 7 yes I know small sample size. I'll run full strings weather permitting this weekend. This thing is light like half the weight of my Puncher Breaker and required the same extra high scope rings for me to get a good sight picture.

There is a P35 cheek rest model on thingyverse if you wish to print a lower profile rest. I did that for mine and run medium height rings. The plenum on the P35 is small so adding an extension will give you more horse power as well as opening up the transfer port. 

Jim,

Thanks for the information it's why I bookmarked this thread. UPS was a no show yesterday but I got it today just in time for tropical storm Alex to ruin the weekend. I cleaned the barrel and it was the worst I've had yet. Ran some quick chrono numbers but only had time for 1 mag each. FX 16 gr at 880 average with a XS of 14 and FX 18.1 at 853 average with an XS of 7 yes I know small sample size. I'll run full strings weather permitting this weekend. This thing is light like half the weight of my Puncher Breaker and required the same extra high scope rings for me to get a good sight picture.

Crash I'm glad you got yours. I'm still waiting. My hammer spring was low for my regulator setting as received. It gave me a long shot string (like 70 shots) but it seemed to mess up the regulator a bit and the first shot was always a bit off on velocity. I increased it and it settled down - might be something to look for. My regulator also seems to control velocity better now that my 25 has over 1000 shots through it. I ended up turning my regulator down 1/4 turn because I was up over 900 fps on H&N FTT which in 25 caliber are unusually light. Now I'm at 850-880 depending on temperature and the shot string is back up around 70 shots on a 250 bar fill.

The weight is one of the key reasons I like the P35. Why are other guns so heavy? P35 doesn't have plastic all over the place like my Avenger. The Avenger bullpup is also not very light from what I read.