My new Maverick is keyholing

Hi,
after trying several different tunes to achieve all the usable speeds with .22 pellets, I’ve disc my new Maverick is keyholing.
I had a feeling something was wrong straight out of the box, even at 25 yards it was shooting all over the place, I’ve tried JSB Heavies, Baracuda 21.4, Baracuda 18’s. I’ve removed the shroud but no different, moderators are not allowed here in Oz so that rules that out.
anyone ever heard of a faulty liner ?

5225341B-0FA9-43FD-BBE9-9AAFC737F5B6.jpeg

FE654F66-57E4-4BA1-87BE-CAEA6B53B54A.jpeg

45A8A2A9-ABDF-4BC1-9007-0E017ACD2AC4.jpeg

Assuming your tune isn't grossly wrong, and the liner/sleeve assembly is properly installed, it seems to me the problem has to either be the liner or the TP at the breech. I had a Red Wolf barrel that would never shoot, turned out to be a burr at the TP that was damaging the pellet when chambering. It's a new rifle, just return it. Life's too short to fuss with a rifle that doesn't shoot.

Shoot a pellet into something hard like a board and then look at the flattened pellet to see if it compressed straight or sideways...that will tell you, but regardless if you can't get a group better than that with several tunes, I would say something is wrong and I agree with the thought of sending it back....don't take it apart an void your warranty

Maverick liners are choked. Maybe the liner was installed backwards with the choke at the breech end. Or maybe the retainer nut (jam nut) that holds the liner in place is just loose.
Another thing to check with Mavericks is if the magazine is making any contact with the cheek rest that would keep the mag from fully seating into its home position. I know this sounds unrelated, but it's not. If the magazine is not fully seating, then it's out of line with the pellet probe and breech and can chew up the mag and pellets and all kinds of other bad stuff as the pellets (slugs) are chambered. If the cheek rest is keeping the mag from fully seating, then you should be able to just sand down the part(s) of the cheek rest that are making contact with the mag.
grungy

Shoot a pellet into something hard like a board and then look at the flattened pellet to see if it compressed straight or sideways...that will tell you, but regardless if you can't get a group better than that with several tunes, I would say something is wrong and I agree with the thought of sending it back....don't take it apart an void your warranty

👆👆👆 try shoot into a block of wood and you will see how it goes. Looks like your paper is the problem and you don’t want to the reg to be too low.

Reactions: Bigragu