• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My new FX for backyard pesting.

So I got this in 3 weeks or so ago and sent it out to FX to fix a mag loading problem. Got it back yesterday afternoon, mounted the scope and bipod last night and sighted it in this morning. Only took 6 shots to sight it in and it's a tac-driver and very quiet with that Sumo on there. 22 cal. I built this one as a quick grab backdoor gun for pests.

Dnew.jpg

Dnew2.jpg

Nice setup. Is it staying first shot consistent for a grab and go pesting setup? I loved my impacts, but neither of them was consistent without firing off the first 2 shots before a session. I couldn’t trust it to be my backyard grab and shoot for that reason. Interested if these issues have been solved!

Nice setup. Is it staying first shot consistent for a grab and go pesting setup? I loved my impacts, but neither of them was consistent without firing off the first 2 shots before a session. I couldn’t trust it to be my backyard grab and shoot for that reason. Interested if these issues have been solved!
Yes it's very consistent. When I first buy an FX, I do so knowing that I am probably going to have to send it in to FX USA for repair, and this one I had to send in. Mags weren't loading right, and something was going on with the plenum refilling. Sent it in, got it back yesterday (8 days later), and it's absolutely perfect now. I sighted it in, went back inside to drink another cup of coffee, couldn't resist shooting it some more, fired another 5 shots and it was dead perfect, no change in POI. My M3 30 cal Sniper is the same consistency. Maybe call the guys at FX and see what they say about your problem. I've found that from the assembly line, QC can be not so great. But the service techs are quick to take care of things no questions asked, and you get back the rifle you expected it to be in the first place. Some people might whine about that, but I don't really care about the minor set back of having to send it in because imo FX rifles are the best!

I couldn’t trust it to be my backyard grab and shoot for that reason.
Kinda depends on the size of the yard, right? :)

I’m with you 100% though. First shot has to be dependable. I’m not lobbing pellets 100 yards at tiny critters but some of my shots are 50 - 60 yards at something like a chipmunk or house sparrow and that’s usually far enough that an unbalanced tune or creeping regulator or stiction will rear its ugly head.

I’m with you 100% though. First shot has to be dependable. I’m not lobbing pellets 100 yards at tiny critters but some of my shots are 50 - 60 yards at something like a chipmunk or house sparrow and that’s usually far enough that an unbalanced tune or creeping regulator or stiction will rear its ugly head.
Shots in my yard are only 15-36 yards.

Reactions: jt-outta-cali
Yes it's very consistent. When I first buy an FX, I do so knowing that I am probably going to have to send it in to FX USA for repair, and this one I had to send in. Mags weren't loading right, and something was going on with the plenum refilling. Sent it in, got it back yesterday (8 days later), and it's absolutely perfect now. I sighted it in, went back inside to drink another cup of coffee, couldn't resist shooting it some more, fired another 5 shots and it was dead perfect, no change in POI. My M3 30 cal Sniper is the same consistency. Maybe call the guys at FX and see what they say about your problem. I've found that from the assembly line, QC can be not so great. But the service techs are quick to take care of things no questions asked, and you get back the rifle you expected it to be in the first place. Some people might whine about that, but I don't really care about the minor set back of having to send it in because imo FX rifles are the best!
I have other FX rifles that do just fine. It was impacts only, and a known issue not reg related. My go to for backyard pesting is a dreamtac compact set for 700fps with crosman pellets (fine out to 45yds on anything under a rabbit), and I have a crown for the longer stuff. My dreamline has ZERO poi issues, but I haven’t tested the crown enough yet to know.

Shots in my yard are only 15-36 yards.
Begs to question, why an impact for such short ranges?
I guess that’s the beauty of our sport though isn’t it. You can shoot what you want!

I have other FX rifles that do just fine. It was impacts only, and a known issue not reg related. My go to for backyard pesting is a dreamtac compact set for 700fps with crosman pellets (fine out to 45yds on anything under a rabbit), and I have a crown for the longer stuff. My dreamline has ZERO poi issues, but I haven’t tested the crown enough yet to know.

I guess that’s the beauty of our sport though isn’t it. You can shoot what you want!

Impact has more fine tuning capability and with the right tune I don’t get the slower first shot. With impact usually the balanced tunes at higher end of power spectrum won’t have the first shot slow problem. Generally speaking only non regulated guns are considered reliable enough because the speed/power is regulated with TP size which is physically immovable. If you tune it in the sweet spot the impact can be really close, my impact tuned at close edge of its power limit is extremely consistent even after a few weeks or refilling the gun. I shoot with the chrono hanging off the side most of the time.

Impact has more fine tuning capability and with the right tune I don’t get the slower first shot. With impact usually the balanced tunes at higher end of power spectrum won’t have the first shot slow problem. Generally speaking only non regulated guns are considered reliable enough because the speed/power is regulated with TP size which is physically immovable. If you tune it in the sweet spot the impact can be really close, my impact tuned at close edge of its power limit is extremely consistent even after a few weeks or refilling the gun. I shoot with the chrono hanging off the side most of the time.
Wondering if swapping to a peek valve is helping with the Stiction issues they were having or not. Neither of mine were reg creepers, but still seemed to have that first couple shots off. My .25 wasn’t necessarily high power, but my .30 was, and still had the issue. I believe the maverick is more consistent than even the new M3, just less tuneability.

Yes I have a Dreamline Tactical 600mm in 22 as well. Zero issues just too long. I went with the Impact M3 because firstly, I honestly love the modular platform. But also, the Compact version is just that, compact and light! But although it's compact, there is still nothing short about a 500mm barrel and so I'm totally comfortable taking a shot out to 60-70 yards if need be. I also have an Impact M3 in 30 cal too, with a 700mm barrel.

Reactions: madeintheuk
So I got this in 3 weeks or so ago and sent it out to FX to fix a mag loading problem. Got it back yesterday afternoon, mounted the scope and bipod last night and sighted it in this morning. Only took 6 shots to sight it in and it's a tac-driver and very quiet with that Sumo on there. 22 cal. I built this one as a quick grab backdoor gun for pests.

View attachment 294834

View attachment 294835
what kinda fps and pellets you shooting with that tune

Second chances for shots are rare in pesting. That first shot means everything especially when the gun has been idle for a long time without firing a shot! (smile)

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_

View attachment 294834

View attachment 294835

Looking at the business end of this thing reminds me of a quote from the movie "The Professional". When Tanto is faced with a gun in his face by Leon, he gets on the radio to alert his boss that the hitman is there. The boss asks, "what does he look like?" Tanto answers, "he looks serious." That's what this thing looks like! Beautiful gun Joe!

Reactions: abqjoe