• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

My new FX Crown 25, first 100 yard "groups"...

I messed up the tune on my Crown earlier this week, what a dummy I am, and right before an EBR match... I offer no excuses, only fact, I shot poorly... I was not happy with my performance at this weekends EBR match in Sparta, WI... I need to rule out any issues with my tuning of this rifle...

I'm going to chronograph it again and see what speed it's shooting at (too fast I think) then I need to shoot this rifle at 50 yards and 75 yards and see what it's doing...

I will be going to my permission as soon as I can (rain today) and shoot some 50 yard groups...

I'm kinda bummed, I know I shoot better than I did yesterday... I'll stop crying now and making excuses, back to some trial and error tuning...

I DO need help with tuning my FX Crown if I am to compete again, I don't want to give up just because I cannot tune my own air rifle...

I will watch more videos and keep learning...

Boo Hoo... Ken

So... What was my crown shooting at...??? I know you're all waiting to hear... (right...!!!) I just shot 5 shots through the chronograph and here's what it said...

Created: 09/29/19 09:31 AM

Description: what was it shooting

Notes 1: back from TO100

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.037

Bullet Weight(gr): 25.40

Temp: 60 °F

BP: 1021.35 inHg

Altitude: 600.00

# FPS FT-LBS PF

5 938 49.63 23.83

4 930 48.79 23.62

3 937 49.53 23.80

2 925 48.27 23.50

1 943 50.16 23.95

Average: 934.6 FPS

SD: 7.1 FPS

Min: 925 FPS

Max: 943 FPS

Spread: 18 FPS

Shot/sec: 0.1

True MV: 937 FPS

Too fast I think and not consistent enough...

Ken

Well Done!

I shoot only the 34's in my crown now. Before I put in the slug liner it didn't like the MKI's at all, With the slug liner it now will shoot both. As stated above I also love the "real world" pics. I have gotten to where I like trying to dope for wind. I use sighter targets to gauge the drift, that helps a lot. Experiment experiment experiment you'll shrink those to sub MOA in no time.

Dennis

A little update, I've been doing it all WRONG with an air rifle... At least the things that matter most for accuracy with an air rifle...

I think I wrote earlier I have no experience with air rifles at this distance, nor with air rifles in competition, I have an Armada in 177 and a Gamo Springer I used for pest control, now I have two FX, one Brocock and a Leshiy... I do have some experience shooting PBs and was very good at it... I know about sight picture and sight alignment, breathing and trigger squeeze... Even my heart rate...

Here's the main things I was doing correctly: I fitted my rifle to me, I installed and zeroed my scope correctly and I learned how to tune my air rifle for speed with a chronograph... That's about it...

Here's what I learned in one afternoon, maybe this will help someone else...

A PCP Air Rifle is not a powder burner, it has little to no recoil and doesn't require the same hold as a high powered, centerfire, bolt action rifle... Let the AIR RIFLE do it's thing...!!! Don't muscle it... I've been doing it all wrong... I've been using the same grip I used when shooting PBs... Not any more...

Adjust your trigger correctly, I was pulling myself right every shot, I could see it with my scope and reticle... Just lightening my trigger pull tightened up my groups A LOT...

And since I just mentioned my scope and reticle, turning the magnification power down at shorter ranges tightened up my groups even more... Not sure this will apply to EBR...

Shooting another members FX Bobcat 22 at 40 yards and putting 18 rounds into one 1/2" ragged hole yesterday (after applying what I learned) tells me I can still shoot, it wasn't even my rifle...

So, even a blind old man with a busted back can learn to shoot again... Or did I just learn to shoot air guns for the first time...??? Thanks Douger...

I hope to do some more 100 yard groups as soon as my parts come from FX USA and I get my Crown shooting again... I may use my Dream Tac instead...

Ken

I'm beginning to regret jumping on the FX fan wagon... My Crown sits in pieces parts now since the 30th when I spoke directly with a tech (Ernest) at FX, said he had my parts quite literally in his hands... I paid for the parts the same day, the 30th, last month, email to ask what my tracking info is early yesterday morning, just an 1/2 hour ago get the response " your order hasn't quite shipped yet"...!!! Really...??? Wow... What am I to think of this reply...???

WTH...??? Hasn't quite shipped...??? I read that as "it's still sitting here because somebody dropped the ball, and we're not going to inform you of the delay"... I'm beginning to see why all the complaints and disgruntled FX owners and wannabe owners (still waiting on rifles paid for)… This is not the service I expect for a 2000.00 air rifle under warranty...

My money would be better spent somewhere else... Yes, I am beginning to regret my investment into these FX air guns... There's a whole slew of fine air rifles with longer history of quality and satisfied customers... I was supposed to compete in the "Monster Match" at BAGA in Bristol, this weekend, looks like I'll be looking for a new rifle instead...

FX needs to step up and start taking care of their customers or they will be losing them in droves... Where's my parts FX...???

NOT HAPPY, KEN