My new favorite shoebox compressor! The Orcair Thunder! (Video inside)

"Where else the same place the rest of them are made."
Well, mine is made in USA, not sure where yours are made?
Do you really have to ask? 😁

1694750670836.png

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
Title is incorrect, it should say ‘Shoebox sized.’

I say this because the Original Shoebox was an American made booster that would run forever if Shoebox would have continued selling them. Shoebox sells only to NASA now.

That is another cheap disposable Chinese compressor which will probably never be in NASA’s inventory.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Well I got mine after seeing this review. What a piece of crap! Wouldn't fill past 1500 psi. Tried everything I could think of - just made lots of noise, kicked on booster fan (loud) and then dropped pressure down low then rose higher, then dropped, etc. I don't know why I bothered except this review sounded good. Live and learn and never trust this guys' reviews. And Amazon took it back with no complaints.

Reactions: BanjomanMI76
Well I got mine after seeing this review. What a piece of crap! Wouldn't fill past 1500 psi. Tried everything I could think of - just made lots of noise, kicked on booster fan (loud) and then dropped pressure down low then rose higher, then dropped, etc. I don't know why I bothered except this review sounded good. Live and learn and never trust this guys' reviews. And Amazon took it back with no complaints.
I always bring you guys honest reviews and I work hard to do it. I even answered all your questions in the video comments. Could be you just got a bad one, it happens with literally every manufactured product. I'd suggest letting Amazon send you a replacement to try out before trashing me and the product. Mine works perfectly. This is definitely my favorite compressor of the ones I have. The other one that has been really good is the ToAuto A3 - I have beat the living hell out of that one and it just keeps on going (even after filling a 1.4L tank with it constantly which is against the manual's recommendations).

Title is incorrect, it should say ‘Shoebox sized.’

I say this because the Original Shoebox was an American made booster that would run forever if Shoebox would have continued selling them. Shoebox sells only to NASA now.

That is another cheap disposable Chinese compressor which will probably never be in NASA’s inventory.

Regards,

Roachcreek
These style compressors are regularly referred to as shoebox compressors. Yes I am aware of the Shoebox brand boosters from many years ago, but the term shoebox has become a commonplace descriptor for these small 12v compressors in today's community since, you know, they are about the size of a shoebox.... My title is absolutely correct, if I was describing the Shoebox brand I would have capitalized the "S"...

Anyway, I would agree that these style compressors are disposable, that is why they are so cheap, and also why you should probably pick up the Amazon warranty if you want total peace of mind. For me I have had very few problems with the 7-8 I own and most the time they can be fixed with a little elbow grease and understanding of how they work. I put out a maintenance video on the ToAuto A3 to try and help folks with that.

Anyone else have any more negative and unhelpful comments? Tough crowd, I guess... 🤷‍♂️

Nothing to do with your review, nice video.

But "Made in America " is a very loose term . ALL a manufacturer has to do is put a part together to say "Made in America " Like Toyota did in the very beginning put the truck BED on the chassy , thats it . Made in America ".
I didn't see anywhere claiming this was made in America though? :unsure:

My reference to being made in America is to describe the quality of most USA and European made quality items and the “iffy” quality of Chinese goods.

My CATs are the same thing, ‘Made in America’should be ‘Made in the America’s’. Parts are made in Mexico, or at least at the time, and assembled in America, (San Diego). They are oil free, but shop compressors that are oil free seem to last longer than small cheap Chinese hpa compressors. My Booster was hade by the Checz’s by Altaros and it is simply superb in all respects.

Some of these cheap little compressors last quite a while, others do not, these pages are full of such frustrations. But it is what we are stuck with until manufacturing quality improves in Chinese factory’s, or we quit buying them. I had a Spark, I gave it away and it is still running, but Inran a fan on it and watched the heat, which is the enemy of all compressors.

I personally quit buying them, after buying one, and after being spoiled after years of running the true Shoebox.

All compressors will need rebuilding as long as it is not a catastrophic failure.

I went a different route as I wanted to fill large bottles. My CATS, the drive and supply shop compressors, are disposable, but due to their work load being reduced by increased numbers and heat managed by fans and low 30/70 work load. But they are cheap to replace and easy for me to ship. And the system runs well on two, so I went to three. After two and a half years I am still waiting for failure. My set-up cost around 4 or 5 times as much as the disposable cheap china boxes, but I figured at the time I would probably buy that many china devices over the years, as many of you have or will. My system will last longer than I will.

I just take offense by the term Shoebox, IF it is used in a way to increase sales by using that name, not that the Chinese would ever do such a thing, and I don’t think you are. You and the Chinese may call them Shoebox sized, but in use they are of course are not original Shoebox. compressors.

They are just what most of us are stuck with until workmanship and technology catch up.

So yes buy the Amazon warrantee as Airshootists suggests and don’t fool yourself with what your getting.

Sorry if my jibberish is hard to read, my eyes are giving out for the day.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Last edited:
Reactions: AirShootist
My reference to being made in America is to describe the quality of most USA and European made quality items and the “iffy” quality of Chinese goods.

My CATs are the same thing, ‘Made in America’should be ‘Made in the America’s’. Parts are made in Mexico, or at least at the time, and assembled in America, (San Diego). They are oil free, but shop compressors that are oil free seem to last longer than small cheap Chinese hpa compressors. My Booster was hade by the Checz’s by Altaros and it is simply superb in all respects.

Some of these cheap little compressors last quite a while, others do not, these pages are full of such frustrations. But it is what we are stuck with until manufacturing quality improves in Chinese factory’s, or we quit buying them. I had a Spark, I gave it away and it is still running, but Inran a fan on it and watched the heat, which is the enemy of all compressors.

I personally quit buying them, after buying one, and after being spoiled after years of running the true Shoebox.

All compressors will need rebuilding as long as it is not a catastrophic failure.

I went a different route as I wanted to fill large bottles. My CATS, the drive and supply shop compressors, are disposable, but due to their work load being reduced by increased numbers and heat managed by fans and low 30/70 work load. But they are cheap to replace and easy for me to ship. And the system runs well on two, so I went to three. After two and a half years I am still waiting for failure. My set-up cost around 4 or 5 times as much as the disposable cheap china boxes, but I figured at the time I would probably buy that many china devices over the years, as many of you have or will. My system will last longer than I will.

I just take offense by the term Shoebox, IF it is used in a way to increase sales by using that name, not that the Chinese would ever do such a thing, and I don’t think you are. You and the Chinese may call them Shoebox sized, but in use they are of course are not original Shoebox. compressors.

They are just what most of us are stuck with until workmanship and technology catch up.

So yes buy the Amazon warrantee as Airshootists suggests and don’t fool yourself with what your getting.

Sorry if my jibberish is hard to read, my eyes are giving out for the day.

Regards,

Roachcreek
Nah, that makes sense. In my personal experience I think these little compressors provide a great value, and as I said before I do agree that they are disposable. So far, even to my surprise, I have only had one really fail. I rebuilt it but could only ever get 3000psi out of it after that for whatever reason. Not even a total fail if we're being honest. This was after about a year and a half of running it to 4500psi constantly. All my other ones (6-7 of them by my estimate) run great. The ToAuto A3 has the most use with definitely over 50 hours on it and only 2 maintenances. I run it daily. The Orcair Thunder in the review here has also been taking a pounding and runs the smoothest out of any of these plus it's autonomous.

I think these things may be a bit more reliable nowadays than you think, the tech has come a long way, even if it is Chinese. As an example of that, I bought a Chinese pit bike, an SSR125 (my 2nd one, actually) and that thing rips and runs great (as did the first one)! Most reliable pit bike I've owned and yes I have owned a ton of Japanese bikes, as well. It is a copy of a Honda. The Chinese are masters of reverse engineering and copying designs, as they have no copyright laws over there (as far as I know). So with the main driving factor for increased sales in any market being delivery of quality products - it makes sense that they would adopt a system of continuous improvement to their products; whether the initial designs were copied or not.

Bottom line, as I mentioned before and you agreed - buy the Amazon warranty if you're worried about it. Honestly, buy it anyway. I can't believe they even offer a 4 year warranty on a disposable shoebox compressor. With no maintenance, these WILL 100% fail in 4 years if you use them even half as much as I do. So if (when) that happens, and you have the Amazon warranty, you get fully refunded for the cost of the compressor and you've only paid for the warranty fee which essentially becomes a rental fee at that point. Make sense?

In my opinion @rsfrid here should have had a bit more patience and just got a replacement. Especially after I was so nice and responsive to his comments on my video and explained his options. I can almost 100% guarantee a replacement would have been fine, almost a zero % chance you'd get 2 bad ones in a row. But again, that can happen with literally any manufactured product. He could have got a free next-day replacement, could have bought the warranty this time and ran the hell out of the thing and never looked back. Instead, he decided to try and discredit me as well as Orcair over a luck-of-the-draw rare occurrence of receiving a faulty unit. (Unless he caused the problem via user error, which is also entirely possible.)

Anyway, I do NOT produce BS reviews, I work hard to bring you guys honest/helpful videos, and I don't appreciate that kind of BS and impatience. I put that thing through its paces a TON before reviewing it, as always, and believe me if someone sends me a product that sucks I just usually be nice and never produce a video on it. Most of the stuff I buy myself, anyhow.

And that's my 2 cents 😉

Why would they make them better if they are selling one after another because they are disposable? The manufacturers are making a lot of money without any improvements....right?
I'm glad I took the time to write all that just for you to just not read it and respond anyway. Lol. Tires are disposable products, too. So are batteries. So are, actually; a ton of things. Everything has a service life. Disposable is not a reason for manufacturers to create garbage. The better reputation a company gets for making quality disposable products the more sales will result. The inverse is also true. Bro, this is like Economics 101 day one stuff....
See below excerpt from what I posited above.

...... So with the main driving factor for increased sales in any market being delivery of quality products - it makes sense that they would adopt a system of continuous improvement to their products......

I wish the membership would stay "on topic" with the OP's review.

I for one will consider this compressor if it goes on sale on the next Amazon Prime day in October.
I definitely will buy the 4 year warranty. I took advantage of the warranty with other Amazon products and it really works!