• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Brocock/BRK My New Brocock Ranger

I just received a new .22 Brocock Ranger XR (Sorry, forgot to take pictures). I wanted a good quality lower power AG for backyard paper punching and some pest control, mainly sparrows and starlings. My backyard shooting is from 10-35 yards and the Ranger seemed like a perfect fit.

I received it Thursday night and played with it yesterday for a bit. First impressions were very good! The fit and finish is beautiful. Everything seems tight, smooth, and robust. It is not my intent to start a PB discussion, but it does feel like I’m holding a Sig or a Glock.

I added a Vector Veyron 4-12 which was an easy install that allowed excellent eye relief. I took it to my shed and ran it over the Chrono, five shots each with some lower weighted pellets I had. I shot one group at the high transfer port setting and one at the low (has four settings). These are the chrony numbers, high velocity followed by low.

15.89 JSB: 689, 410
15.89 Hades: 688, 411
CPHP 14.3: 696, 408
CP Dome: 705, 411

The Ranger came with a small 0db, that I quickly switched out with my Sumo. Even with the Sumo, I found that the report was way too loud for backyard shooting at the highest setting. My Taipan shooting at 930 with a Sumo is quieter. I might be able to get away with 2-3 shots at the high setting before I start to aggravate my neighbors. I decided to shoot at the low setting, about 6 fpe…and I absolutely loved it! It was whisper quiet as they say. I could shoot and shoot without any worry that a cop would show up at my front door. I could have shot all day long, it was so quiet.

But I only had a couple hours before having to go out of town for a trip with the family. But during that time I was able to sight in the rifle with less than five shots and groups were excellent at 10, 20 and 35 yards. The 35 yard shooting seemed funny as I could see the pellet’s huge arc before hitting the target. All the target shooting was with the JSB 15.89. Groups were small clovers with all pellets overlapping.

I need to play around with it some more at the different power settings. I also typically cannot leave well enough alone and I’m already thinking about tuning to see if I can reduce some of the noise at the higher setting. I would be interested in any input anyone has related to tuning their Ranger (or Atomic). I will also likely polish and wax the barrel. Looking forward to thoroughly enjoying this gun right off my back porch.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the trigger definitely needs to be lightened. I’m ordering a trigger gauge to help adjust it to my liking.

Last edited:
Great to hear that you are really liking your Ranger XR and agree with your comparisons to it feeling Glock-like in fit and finish. I would advise against tuning it further down until you’ve used it a while. Am surprised that yours is still loud with the supplied 0dB moderator. Both my Atomic and Pathfinder are nicely muffled by the 0dBs and my second Atomic with a DonnyFl Tanto is also backyard quiet. Looking forward to hearing your further thoughts through use of your Ranger XR.

• Love
Reactions: SHOMER and ThomasT
Great to hear that you are really liking your Ranger XR and agree with your comparisons to it feeling Glock-like in fit and finish. I would advise against tuning it further down until you’ve used it a while. Am surprised that yours is still loud with the supplied 0dB moderator. Both my Atomic and Pathfinder are nicely muffled by the 0dBs and my second Atomic with a DonnyFl Tanto is also backyard quiet. Looking forward to hearing your further thoughts through use of your Ranger XR.
I appreciate your advice on not tuning it. It’s likely not necessary based on what I’ve seen so far. I might just have someone else shoot it while I stand by the fence. Hopefully my perception of its loudness is off.

Reactions: L.Leon
I have a 110C on my Sniper XR in .22. At the highest power, it is what I call "one-shot" quiet in that I can get away with 1 shot and not worry about spooking the neighbors! At the lowest power, it's almost sound absent! The loudest noise in all cases is the pellet hitting the intended target! I use CPHP 14.3s as my XR shoots them very consistently!

Congrats on receiving your new Ranger. I recently bought one through the classifieds here and am just beginning to get to know it. It is the smoothest action of all my rifles! I only have 3 positions available on my power knob, was there a change made later in production? Like you I also mounted a Vector 3x12. It's a good fit for the little fella. The one thing I would change is the style of safety. I prefer a fore/aft movement if it's in the trigger guard, like the my Taipans and AirMax. I'll get used to it eventually. I've currently got a Buck Rail mod installed while awaiting a STO Pugio in the mail.

Looking forward to more info from you as you get to know your Ranger, too (y)

Reactions: L.Leon
Have you ever tried the JSB Exact Jumbo RS 13.43gr pellets? Might be great for your low tune with a tad more speed a little flatter trajectory, I shoot these thru my Prod.
I had read a review where they didn’t do that well in their Ranger. I guess it won’t hurt to try them. Maybe they’ll do ok in mine and I agree that they should give me a flatter trajectory.

Reactions: Ranchibi
Congrats on receiving your new Ranger. I recently bought one through the classifieds here and am just beginning to get to know it. It is the smoothest action of all my rifles! I only have 3 positions available on my power knob, was there a change made later in production? Like you I also mounted a Vector 3x12. It's a good fit for the little fella. The one thing I would change is the style of safety. I prefer a fore/aft movement if it's in the trigger guard, like the my Taipans and AirMax. I'll get used to it eventually. I've currently got a Buck Rail mod installed while awaiting a STO Pugio in the mail.

Looking forward to more info from you as you get to know your Ranger, too (y)
I was surprised to see that it had four power settings as all the reviews I saw had three. Not sure if it is a redesign. I was also surprised to see the moderator on it as the listing on AOA clearly said that the moderator is not included.

I’ve heard the same from others on the safety. It didn’t really bother me. Probably because I don’t hardly use it. I’ll need to take the time to look up the buck rail mod and Pugio you reference.

Nice write up! Once I got mine to shoot correctly, that's it, no more fiddling.
If you are looking for a case, try the Pelican Air 1525, it fits like a glove.
Pelican Air 1525 2.jpg

Reactions: pan60
I tried the 13.43s and was surprised to see that they performed well. Shot an 11-round magazine at the lowest setting with a 436 fps avg. (5.67 fpe). I was really pleased with the regulator as most shots were 435 or 436 and one was 438 and another 439. I’m happy with the approx. 1/2 in group at 20 yds given that I’m at the lowest setting. I’m sure it would do better at faster speeds, but I don’t think I could get away with the noise that comes with the higher setting. I’ll need to see if it’s effective with starlings and house sparrows come Spring.
Here is the 13.43 group at 20 yards, lowest setting (green sticker):
IMG_1082.jpeg

I think the 15.89 gave me a little tighter group at the lowest setting even though there was more deviation in speed across the 11 shots (from 401 - 409). The average was 405 fps (5.79 fpe). Here is the 15.89 group at 20 yards, lowest setting:
IMG_1086.jpeg

The two shots outside the group were sight-in shots.

I’m leaning toward sticking with the 15.89 even though the 13.43 might give me a flatter trajectory. The 15.89 accuracy is more than acceptable for me given the speed I am shooting, and I’m thinking the 15.89 will do better at higher speeds for when I’m not shooting in my backyard. The 15.89 is also probably going to be more versatile for use in my other PCPs.

Here’s some photos of the Ranger:

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1083.jpeg

Also, on the four power settings, there doesn’t seem to be a significant difference between level 3 and level 4. Here are averages across the 4 settings shooting 13.43.
Setting 1: 437 FPS
Setting 2: 612 FPS
Setting 3: 702 FPS
Setting 4: 708 FPS