My new Airacuda .25

AirDevil,
Recommend you SEARCH "Airacuda Updates" in the archives, might find helpful. AirArcher has the Airacuda in regulated (MAX) and non-regulated models and reports non-regulated is most accurate. Despite regulator and HS adjustments, my MAX .25 lacks consistent accuracy, regardless of ammo, next step is to pull the barrel and do the Nervoustrig recommended testing. If the DAR barrels are interchangeable, might be worth a switch, I hear they shoot great. WM
That’s disappointing worried man. I am not having any problems with mine my accuracy seems very good and I’m very happy with my .25 max. I would like to try to shoot a standard to see if I would come to the same conclusion as you guys.

Here is a .357 you might like

Two things about that Evanix.
First, it has the lever at the back end? I 'imagine" I would not like it near my jaw,but I never shot a BP.I do know I don't like peep sights and nose buttons on my compound bows, It distracts me.
Second, I would have to sell some of my bows and things to afford it atm.
I got to say that I dig the compact style of some of the BP AG's.

Two things about that Evanix.
First, it has the lever at the back end? I 'imagine" I would not like it near my jaw,but I never shot a BP.I do know I don't like peep sights and nose buttons on my compound bows, It distracts me.
Second, I would have to sell some of my bows and things to afford it atm.
I got to say that I dig the compact style of some of the BP AG's.
Nope, sidelever is mid body

Reactions: AirDevil
That’s disappointing worried man. I am not having any problems with mine my accuracy seems very good and I’m very happy with my .25 max. I would like to try to shoot a standard to see if I would come to the same conclusion as you guys.
Trueshot,
Thanks for the vote of sympathy, it's no secret barrel selection on budget PCPs can be a lottery. My $310 Umarex Gauntlet .25 (First Generation) shoots the JSB 33.95s so consistently accurate @ 50 yards my higher priced guns get embarrassed. Recently, a member shared his same model Gauntlet had poor accuracy @ 30 yards! I won the lottery on that while it appears you won it with your Airacuda. Would be more concerned if I'd paid a thousand, or more, but for $400, I understood the risk. Biggest mystery is the large "corkscrew" pattern pellets take heading towards the target. Heavy, light pellets, fast speed or slow, same result. Spiraling is normally caused by too high a spin combined with too high a speed on a pellet. Could also be caused by a damaged pellet "yawing," unable to self-stabilize. Nervoustrig offers an excellent tutorial on barrel inspection, basically four areas to inspect, and how-to repair any problems. Silver lining is what I've learned in the process, since I normally don't tear into anything unless there's a problem. Travis has been very helpful so that's a plus, if barrel is bad, and beyond repair, I'm sure he'll do his best to remedy. WM

Is the DAR regulated?
Yes, they are and they are adjustable.

Airacuda accuracy? Just fine as far as I am concerned. Crosman Premier Hollow Points, THE cheapest pellet in existence today, 200/200 score.

Yes, it's 10m but it's also -20°F outside rightnow so inside range for now.
20230122_195327.jpg

Last edited:
If the spiraling is beginning to develop at short distances...something like 30-40 yards, try shooting it without the shroud and see if it goes away. Pellets that are very subtly clipping the baffles will behave that way, and if memory serves I’ve seen reports of clipping from both Airacuda and DAR rifles.

The good news is that both the DAR and Airacuda MAX have identical ends on the shrouds so you can empty them and turn them around.

I had .005 runout on one end of my MAX, the other end was under .002 so I flipped it.

Bad clipping inside the Buck Rail mod.

If the spiraling is beginning to develop at short distances...something like 30-40 yards, try shooting it without the shroud and see if it goes away. Pellets that are very subtly clipping the baffles will behave that way, and if memory serves I’ve seen reports of clipping from both Airacuda and DAR rifles.
Thanks, spiraling starts immediately, "corkscrewing" down to target, clearly visible thru scope. Thought my verified clipping problem was resolved by enlarging baffle openings and clearing metal shavings from stacking grooves, hadn't considered repairs didn't take. Will attempt without shroud. Haven't pulled barrel, but muzzle crown looks picture perfect. WM

The good news is that both the DAR and Airacuda MAX have identical ends on the shrouds so you can empty them and turn them around.

I had .005 runout on one end of my MAX, the other end was under .002 so I flipped it.

Bad clipping inside the Buck Rail mod.
Could you re-explain this? Thanks

Reactions: Firewalker
Could you re-explain this? Thanks

Of course: The shrouds are just there to hold the baffles and thread on to the baffle cap, barrel and adapter, no real thought has been given to squareness of the shroud end so when you tighten the shroud up against the receiver, the out of square shroud end gets pushed against the square receiver and because the shroud threading is so sloppy, the shroud ends up getting pitched a little.

Compounding that, the moderator adapter also has a square shoulder but since the moderator/shroud tube was not milled square, the adapter is also pitched a bit.

The barrel is forced to follow the shroud because of the baffle alignment fitting and the barrel clamp (really the shroud clamp) forces the shroud/barrel into alignment with the air tube.

By the time an aftermarket moderator is attached, the moderator can be several degrees off, this can cause clipping in either or both of the moderators and give horrible accuracy.

I simply turned my shroud around and used the end with the less out of square to attach my aftermarket moderator.

When the warranty expires, I will chuck the shroud up in my lathe and true both ends.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Thanks, Firewalker, thought that's what you meant, think I'll do the same. Accuracy problems persist but shoots worse, 5–7-inch groups (12 inches high/right) @ 50-yards, with BuckRail moderator attached. Test firing without shroud was brief as neighbors complained of noise, no spiraling was noted but accuracy, non-existent. Appreciate any advice on removal of barrel, checked out the diagram on Airacuda website but not clear what secures it. Thanks again, WM

Of course: The shrouds are just there to hold the baffles and thread on to the baffle cap, barrel and adapter, no real thought has been given to squareness of the shroud end so when you tighten the shroud up against the receiver, the out of square shroud end gets pushed against the square receiver and because the shroud threading is so sloppy, the shroud ends up getting pitched a little.

Compounding that, the moderator adapter also has a square shoulder but since the moderator/shroud tube was not milled square, the adapter is also pitched a bit.

The barrel is forced to follow the shroud because of the baffle alignment fitting and the barrel clamp (really the shroud clamp) forces the shroud/barrel into alignment with the air tube.

By the time an aftermarket moderator is attached, the moderator can be several degrees off, this can cause clipping in either or both of the moderators and give horrible accuracy.

I simply turned my shroud around and used the end with the less out of square to attach my aftermarket moderator.

When the warranty expires, I will chuck the shroud up in my lathe and true both ends.
My Standard has no problems but my MAX does what you describe I did try reverse the Shroud but didn't work and I had to enlarge the endcap to avoid clipping and cannot use a Modarator

Thanks to Firewalker, Airacuda Max .25 accuracy problem has been solved. Inside the shroud the air stripper and four baffles are snug to fit, however, prior to final manufacture (thread-lock) installation of shroud end cap, a 1/4 inch thick "washer," outer edge threaded to fit internal shroud threads, and two holes for tool insertion. is tightened down on air stripper/baffle stack, thus securing stack and barrel. Following Firewalker's suggestion to switch shroud around, I discovered this washer had never been tightened down, in fact was snug to bottom of end cap, well above baffle stack. After inserting two pins in washer holes, and tightening to baffle stack, gun now shoots hole in hole, both JSB 25.39 and 33.95 @ 50 yards. WM

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Thanks, Firewalker, thought that's what you meant, think I'll do the same. Accuracy problems persist but shoots worse, 5–7-inch groups (12 inches high/right) @ 50-yards, with BuckRail moderator attached. Test firing without shroud was brief as neighbors complained of noise, no spiraling was noted but accuracy, non-existent. Appreciate any advice on removal of barrel, checked out the diagram on Airacuda website but not clear what secures it. Thanks again, WM

Buck Rail moderators may be 'tight' and may need boring. I use an aircraft drill bit (long bit) .005 larger than the bore to ream it out some, it hepls LOADS with clipping and Ill bet you will get better accuracy.