• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MY NEW .22 CAL HW30S

Oh no, no, muust resist, no, o i want one, need one, i have one in 177 synthetic and one in 20 cal standard, and now there is the new wooden stock, so i would have 3 different calibers in 3 different stocks... They are so cool, and fun, and accurate!

Well, now is as good of a time as any to push that ORDER button!!! You know that you want to....

IMG_1985.1611703108.jpg
 Love my HW30 in .22. No, it won't vaporize a varmint at 50 yards, but it is plenty sufficient for squirrels out to 30 yards. For plinking, it puts a big "smack" on cans, shotgun shells, etc. Mine is not pellet-picky, but it really likes the RWS Hobby wadcutters. 

I swapped the plain stock for a nicer R7 stock. Scope is an older Leupold 3-9X33 EFR

I'll chime in here. I have an R-7 in .177 that fell into my lap on a large gun estate that I helped with. It hung around for years and I didn't appreciate it for what it was. Fast forward and I realized what a nice medium power springer.

I looked at what they were going for new and saw AOA had the HW30S for just over $300 with free shipping, so I joined the club with one in .22.

The funny story is that I had a rabbit munching on my new sod lawn and I rushed into the garage and looked at over a dozen air rifles that were either disassembled or had no sights. I realized that the new .22 HW30S was the only one that was ready to go. I hadn't even sighted it in, but I grabbed it and succeeded in knocking him flat with one shot. About two weeks later another bunny and another one shot kill. Right now I have fired more shots at rabbits than I have targets. Obviously it's close enough with Crosman pellets to do the job. One of these days I'll put it on paper 🤣.

Mark

IMG_1985.1611703108.jpg
 Love my HW30 in .22. No, it won't vaporize a varmint at 50 yards, but it is plenty sufficient for squirrels out to 30 yards. For plinking, it puts a big "smack" on cans, shotgun shells, etc. Mine is not pellet-picky, but it really likes the RWS Hobby wadcutters. 

I swapped the plain stock for a nicer R7 stock. Scope is an older Leupold 3-9X33 EFR

William, that is a beautiful gun! Thanks for sharing that picture with us. I love the SMACK that the .22 cal pellets put on the target with this gun. I’m sure glad that I tried it in .22. Nice back yard you have too!

That’s a great story Mark! Watch out bunnies 🐰. Ha ha!

I haven’t put the hurting on any rabbits with mine yet but I may try it if they do show up. I’ve taken a few rabbits out in my yard (and ate them) but none of them with a springer. This one could be a good candidate for doing just that. Thanks for a great story and showing us how capable these little guns really are! 🎯

Beautiful rifle, and I like the intended purpose of just putting the .22 smack on tin cans. I am down to all .177s (R7, R9, Slavia 631) and one .20 (R9), having sold my .22 HW80K a few years ago when I realized that I did not need all that power in my current suburban residence. The Slavia with wadcutters delivers a nice punch on tin cans, but now you're making me think of ordering my first new springer in probably eight years. Going to make the wife angry, lol.

Beautiful rifle, and I like the intended purpose of just putting the .22 smack on tin cans. I am down to all .177s (R7, R9, Slavia 631) and one .20 (R9), having sold my .22 HW80K a few years ago when I realized that I did not need all that power in my current suburban residence. The Slavia with wadcutters delivers a nice punch on tin cans, but now you're making me think of ordering my first new springer in probably eight years. Going to make the wife angry, lol.

Ha ha! Well, if you need a place to stay for a few days so your wife can cool down, you are welcome here. 😂

Since you already have the R7, you know the quality that you can expect from a HW. I haven’t stretched mine past 20 yards yet but up to 20 it’s been pretty nice especially scoped. I’m thinking this makes a great inside of 30 yard gun even with the low velocity. Many people say it’s just too slow and the trajectory is too loopy. I guess it could be considered both of those things depending on it’s intended use. For me hitting targets and cans in my backyard, I say NO WAY!

I had to pull myself back some because I did mount a scope on it and then the quest for perfection started to creep in. I reminded myself of my purpose for this gun and removed the scope and added the open sights back to it. Only fun, reactive targets for me right now at 20-25 yards max. If I start looking for precision at longer ranges I’ll use a different air rifle, for now. Right now, I needed a break from that journey and this is doing it just perfectly for me. The mission is FUN!

The pellet hitting the empty cans is actually louder than I expected, in a good way. 

I'll chime in here. I have an R-7 in .177 that fell into my lap on a large gun estate that I helped with. It hung around for years and I didn't appreciate it for what it was. Fast forward and I realized what a nice medium power springer.

I looked at what they were going for new and saw AOA had the HW30S for just over $300 with free shipping, so I joined the club with one in .22.

The funny story is that I had a rabbit munching on my new sod lawn and I rushed into the garage and looked at over a dozen air rifles that were either disassembled or had no sights. I realized that the new .22 HW30S was the only one that was ready to go. I hadn't even sighted it in, but I grabbed it and succeeded in knocking him flat with one shot. About two weeks later another bunny and another one shot kill. Right now I have fired more shots at rabbits than I have targets. Obviously it's close enough with Crosman pellets to do the job. One of these days I'll put it on paper
1f923.svg

Mark

And that just goes to show us we don’t need a real powerful gun for rabbits. (Of course rabbits fall over dead if you just look at them sideways, haha)

Pistolero,

I will say that may be true with these city rabbits, but 30 years ago I took two shots on a jack rabbit with no effect and he finally bolted. I snapped a third shot and he rolled. When I got to him he was very much alive, but I'd hit him in the abdomen and snapped his spine. It took a head shot to turn his lights off. I flipped him over and two .45 holes were cookie cutter side by side right through his heart. I was using my Colt Combat Elite with CCI hollow points. He was dead with the first shot, but his brain didn't get the memo. Arizona jack rabbits are one heck of a tough breed, sure we nailed plenty with .22's, but anything other than a head shot could be an animal that runs off and dies. Power is fine, but accuracy is better.

Mark

I got a 30 in .22 about a month ago. Great rifle, lot's of fun, highly accurate. I don't care about trajectory, "flat" or "loopy", the only thing matters is 'does it hit where I aim it'. Everything else is academic.

Good to hear Yarddog! These sure are fun in .22. I’m really on the edge to pick another one up just because. One scoped, one iron sights.

I wonder why the 177 didn’t get me as excited about this power plant as the .22? Anyway...

I got a 30 in .22 about a month ago. Great rifle, lot's of fun, highly accurate. I don't care about trajectory, "flat" or "loopy", the only thing matters is 'does it hit where I aim it'. Everything else is academic.

Good to hear Yarddog! These sure are fun in .22. I’m really on the edge to pick another one up just because. One scoped, one iron sights.

I wonder why the 177 didn’t get me as excited about this power plant as the .22? Anyway...

There are some folks who would tell you that the .22 is too much pellet for the HW30 powerplant. I didn't believe that was so before my purchase, and I fo' sho' don't believe it now!!! One of the reasons I like .22 is because of the ease of handling the pellets. 

There are some folks who would tell you that the .22 is too much pellet for the HW30 powerplant. I didn't believe that was so before my purchase, and I fo' sho' don't believe it now!!! One of the reasons I like .22 is because of the ease of handling the pellets.

Yes, I had people saying the same thing when I was inquiring about it. I also had guys like you saying they had one in .22 and it was great. I obviously listened to the YEAs and not the NAYs. And I like handling the larger pellet too.

I just clocked mine shooting H&N FTTs and it’s spitting them out at 476 fps average! That’s 7.35 foot pounds energy. Seems hot but it doesn’t feel like it when shooting. I’m loving this thing more and more!