• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My name is Jon and I like gas rams.

My new to me Theoben Evolution showed up today and arrived with a very nice Leupold VX2 3-9x33 on there. There is always this feeling of doubt when you order something new that it just won't meet your expectations. Well I took one shot with this gun and every ounce of doubt left my body. Wow what a shooter! She's a little under powered at the moment (9fpe, 500fps with 15.9gr) but she's also got a pretty chewed up breech seal. Going to get some ordered along with a piston rebuild kit (if I can find one) and a pump adapter and see what happens. Either way I love this gun.
20230711_160419.jpg
20230711_175718.jpg

I’m not familiar. But awesome gun. Love the muzzle end. What a score.
I have a few HW90’s. If they’re anything the same a pump and gauge is a must. Nite and day difference.
When I never had a pump, I never shot these guns. With the gauge and pump, I can’t leave them alone.
Enjoy. Crow
Pump and gauge?😅 lost me🤷‍♂️🥹what do you mean?

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Pump and gauge?😅 lost me🤷‍♂️🥹what do you mean?
The HW90, you have the option to buy a gauge and pump. Paid around $300. for them. From the factory it was set at 23 bars. I could almost do chin-ups on the barrel. Really hare to jack. Gun sat for 2 years. I read a post by Jayjay and I bought another 90 .20 and the pump and gauge. Set them at 18 bar.
I’m taking back stuff I didn’t even steal. Amazing
Yesterday I took out a HW97 .20 and the 90 .20. I started with the 90 and never put it down, 97 missed out.
I’d have to say that the 90‘s Gas ram are 2 favorites.
If the Theoben has the same Sqwirlfugger57 is going to be a happy camper. Crow

The HW90, you have the option to buy a gauge and pump. Paid around $300. for them. From the factory it was set at 23 bars. I could almost do chin-ups on the barrel. Really hare to jack. Gun sat for 2 years. I read a post by Jayjay and I bought another 90 .20 and the pump and gauge. Set them at 18 bar.
I’m taking back stuff I didn’t even steal. Amazing
Yesterday I took out a HW97 .20 and the 90 .20. I started with the 90 and never put it down, 97 missed out.
I’d have to say that the 90‘s Gas ram are 2 favorites.
If the Theoben has the same Sqwirlfugger57 is going to be a happy camper. Crow
I think you're right especially since I plan on keeping this gun somewhere around the 12fpe mark. It's definitely opened my eyes a little and the HW90 is getting eyeballed by me more and more. I'll definitely have the pump tools ordered soon.

Reactions: crowski
I think you're right especially since I plan on keeping this gun somewhere around the 12fpe mark. It's definitely opened my eyes a little and the HW90 is getting eyeballed by me more and more. I'll definitely have the pump tools ordered soon.
Another thing and no explanation, before the gauge the trigger was so sensitive, you just walk by the gun it would go off. At 18 bar the sweetest trigger. No adjustment. ???
Enjoy your sweet looking rifle. Crow

Another thing and no explanation, before the gauge the trigger was so sensitive, you just walk by the gun it would go off. At 18 bar the sweetest trigger. No adjustment. ???
Enjoy your sweet looking rifle. Crow
Trigger feel can change depending on the amount of load you have on the sear from the ram/coil spring. When I dropped one of Maccari's power kits into my D56 I completely lost the second stage. For comparison reasons, I was up 5fpe from where it originally was.

My name is Ron and I love THEOBEN gas rams.

I just STOLE a like new .177 Evolution from Airguns Of Arizona that was described on their Pre-owned page as "very good condition but shooting weakly". Asking price, $400.

Immediately realizing not only that was a great price for a "very good condition" Evolution shooting weakly, but nevertheless a leap-of-faith gamble on a $400 bet, and AoA is very conservative in their condition descriptions, also that I am the PERFECT buyer for that particular gamble, I JUMPED ON THAT SUCKER LIKE A HOUND ON A BONE!

Why was I the PERFECT buyer? Because I have not only a fitting to increase pressure in the gas ram, but a floor-type PCP pump to do so, AND a replacement pistol head that has resided in a zip-lock bag in a dark drawer for 25 years (in case it came to that).

Thankfully but not unexpectedly, the rifle is virtually new; as in UNUSED. It indeed shot very weakly. But also thankfully, after increasing the ram pressure it now shoots 12 foot pounds with 7.9 or 8.4 JSBs consistently; as in 4-5 FPS standard deviations all the time, with every shot string. And I expect that to improve with break-in.

I believe whoever owned this Evolution and dozens of vintage ten-meter rifles that AoA apparently bought from an estate must have purposely reduced the power on the Evolution but preferred shooting his vintage ten-meter rifles more, so never put more than a few dozen pellets through my Evo. Good thing, because Theoben gas-piston parts are now utterly Unobtanium. I can keep that new piston head squirreled away for use when and if ever needed.

Now you're REALLY gonna hate me. After applying $200 in AoA gift certificates I'd won in my shooting competitions, my out-of-pocket for the like new Evolution was $236 (including $36 shipping).:oops: My $236 pre-owned Evolution-

Theo Evolution.jpg

The similar-vintage Weaver V-16 scope completes a match made in heaven. This sucker SHOOTS LIKE A HOUSE AFIRE!

I just STOLE a like new .177 Evolution from Airguns Of Arizona that was described on their Pre-owned page as "very good condition but shooting weakly". Asking price, $400.

Immediately realizing not only that was a great price for a "very good condition" Evolution shooting weakly, but nevertheless a leap-of-faith gamble on a $400 bet, and AoA is very conservative in their condition descriptions, also that I am the PERFECT buyer for that particular gamble, I JUMPED ON THAT SUCKER LIKE A HOUND ON A BONE!

Why was I the PERFECT buyer? Because I have not only a fitting to increase pressure in the gas ram, but a floor-type PCP pump to do so, AND a replacement pistol head that has resided in a zip-lock bag in a dark drawer for 25 years (in case it came to that).

Thankfully but not unexpectedly, the rifle is virtually new; as in UNUSED. It indeed shot very weakly. But also thankfully, after increasing the ram pressure it now shoots 12 foot pounds with 7.9 or 8.4 JSBs consistently; as in 4-5 FPS standard deviations all the time, with every shot string. And I expect that to improve with break-in.

I believe whoever owned this Evolution and dozens of vintage ten-meter rifles that AoA apparently bought from an estate must have purposely reduced the power on the Evolution but preferred shooting his vintage ten-meter rifles more, so never put more than a few dozen pellets through my Evo. Good thing, because Theoben gas-piston parts are now utterly Unobtanium. I can keep that new piston head squirreled away for use when and if ever needed.

Now you're REALLY gonna hate me. After applying $200 in AoA gift certificates I'd won in my shooting competitions, my out-of-pocket for the like new Evolution was $236 (including $36 shipping).:oops: My $236 pre-owned Evolution-

View attachment 372197

The similar-vintage Weaver V-16 scope completes a match made in heaven. This sucker SHOOTS LIKE A HOUSE AFIRE!
Thats a fantastic grab. Congratulations man! I was 3hrs late to that lot getting posted and knew I had to miss something great. I did manage to snag an LGV Spezial that I had been looking for so not a complete loss at least.

Don't shoot it without a good breech seal. It's just an o ring.

View attachment 372197

I hope you have the right crown seal I’m pretty sure they used 2 different gas rams in the Evo. I see two different seals listed for them. In 2 different diameters.