My Maverick claimed it's first large game(hog)!

Believe it or not, our tuning habits are very much alike! I'm using a Huma Impact hammer spring, a 14 gram hammer weight I machined, a pin probe I machined(with a little less taper, but very similar). The Huma port I'm using is a modified V1 port, and not the newer V2(which has a larger opening). I do agree with you that the factory port ain't bad at all. I do not lube my slugs, and I'm sure that is where some of the speed difference is happening(along with the TJ not having any choke possibly). The larger valve seat does allow me to take bit more advantage of the porting, but the real gains don't happen until I'm at the higher end of reg settings. I usually run my regs higher than I have to, because the gun is happier and quieter. That's a lot of the reason I'm using the Huma extra high output regulators, so I can turn them up as high as I please. I could make a bit more power at my current reg settings, but I just choose to keep it a bit farther below the plateau is all. It really looks like our guns are VERY similar in performance, and that's a good thing IMO.

Thank you for the detailed explanation on your Maverick tuning, it makes me feel better about what I've done with mine so far. I'm always happy to see people taking their guns to their full potential, and yours is definitely a hammer! Looks don't really matter as long as it works. Function is form to me. Besides, doing that camo right is quite tedious and the pigs don't care one bit(but the turkeys do). Next weekend, I'm going to try and have one more go at the piggies, and may have to set up a bit farther from the "target destination". I may go ahead tune the gun a wee bit hotter. I've had it as high as 130 fpe, but I think it could probably do 135 fpe, if I really wanted to push it. I'll probably just tune it for 130 fpe next weekend. If you saw some of the boars that are showing up on the cameras, you'd totally understand the need for power. There are some in the group that are pushing 350+lbs, and I want to make sure the juice is there to handle that easily. I'll still take the head shot though. I dare not try and shoot through the shield on those suckers. The head shot has never let me down, and I've never not dropped a pig I shot at. I'm very particular about my angles, and try and be patient until I get the one I'm looking for.

Reactions: mtnGhost
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with cranking up the regs a bit higher. Not sure what the theoretical max operating pressure should be with these Mavericks, but I wouldn't be too concerned personally running it at 200.

I'm also running a Huma high power, but just in place of the first reg that failed on me early on. If the second one goes out to lunch, I have another high power Huma at the ready lol

Cool to see that you got yours running that hot! I think your numbers are aligned with what we can squeeze out of them. I think I just got lucky machining my second probe like that. I kinda wish that there was just a tiny bit of extra length for the hammer system, but I'm very humble with it setup for 50gr pellets with it being so compact and dead simple to adjust!

@Rallyshark

"I turned the red light on, once it started getting dark enough that I couldn't clearly make out the reticle, so it was on the whole time. It gets really dark in the deep woods. I only had the light on the medium setting of normal modes, and that isn't including turbo. Even though it was only on medium(50 lumens by the specs), I was able to clearly make out the details of the hog's noggin. Hopefully, I'll test it on high next time. I honestly intended to use it on high, but never felt the need to turn it up when I was using it. I was surprised how well that red illuminated reticle worked in combination with the red light. The illuminated reticle wasn't nearly as distracting as it would be without the light. I love that little light, because it is so small, but very effective with that tight beam! "

Makes sense that it would be on all the time and it has a board / chipset to manage the 26350 2000MAH battery.

Randall and I are rat shooters and I use a red LED light, on all the time, at night for a bait station. I'd like to use one these red lights for dairy rats! Ranchivi suggested that I purchase one of these, or similar, and I will.

Geeze man if you could see at 35yards on 'Medium' that's pretty cool. It SEEMS like the red light would cancel the crosshair red light and I know what you mean about the illuminated reticle being to bright and making the actual target impossible to see. I have a Discovery scope that is perfect for actual night time shooting.

Great hunt! I don't like the pigs that are really big. They make it hassle to retrieve, plus they don't taste the best. I just got the maverick VP in .22. I like it in that caliber, but it is capable of being even a .357 at those power levels. Ive been thinking of switching to a .357 with a 600mm barrel and hybrids, if they ever come out. I feel that gun would be the perfect coyote and small-medium hog gun. With the smooth, easy, & quick cocking it will be my go-to predator and hog gun! Love the camo job!

Nice haul with that pellet gun!

Thanks Glem!

I just ordered the ACEBEAM E10. It's all your fault, Rallyshark.😉

Hahahaha! You'll like that little guy. It is small, but has some serious throw for the power output. Another fun fact is, you can sacrifice a Convoy S11 body and put the Acebeam head on it, which will allow you to run a 26650 battery! I ordered a Convoy kit for $17 to get the body and ordered a 26650 battery to double the run time, for using it around the house. Not that I've ever killed the shorty battery in one outing though. I just keep it on medium so I can see the hogs coming in, and I can turn it up to high or even turbo if needed. I prefer it as it comes though, because it is so small and light, you don't even notice it on the gun.

@rallyshark

I just ordered two red led flashlights and both take the 18650 batteries that I have 9 of. Thanks for pushing me!!!

Wayllshine Red LED, $11.99 ... arriving tomorrow

Cosmoing 300 Red LED, $18.59 ... arriving Thursday

Nice! One can never have too many lights :D

Great hunt! I don't like the pigs that are really big. They make it hassle to retrieve, plus they don't taste the best. I just got the maverick VP in .22. I like it in that caliber, but it is capable of being even a .357 at those power levels. Ive been thinking of switching to a .357 with a 600mm barrel and hybrids, if they ever come out. I feel that gun would be the perfect coyote and small-medium hog gun. With the smooth, easy, & quick cocking it will be my go-to predator and hog gun! Love the camo job!

In all honesty, I'd feel completely comfortable taking a hog with a high powered .22 as well. The maverick does quite well in .22. With the 700mm barrel, a 65-70 fpe tune is easy to do, and that will poke a hole in almost any pig's head. I'd take a .22 at 65 fpe over a .30 at 100fpe all day long. Thanks on the camo job, it took some time to do it right, but it worked out pretty well.

Triggertreat

Hahahaha! You'll like that little guy. It is small, but has some serious throw for the power output. Another fun fact is, you can sacrifice a Convoy S11 body and put the Acebeam head on it, which will allow you to run a 26650 battery! I ordered a Convoy kit for $17 to get the body and ordered a 26650 battery to double the run time, for using it around the house. Not that I've ever killed the shorty battery in one outing though. I just keep it on medium so I can see the hogs coming in, and I can turn it up to high or even turbo if needed. I prefer it as it comes though, because it is so small and light, you don't even notice it on the gun.

Thanks...I am sure I will enjoy it on the night hunts for coons and hogs that I do. What I am not sure of is what it will take to mount it on the side rail of the Impact yet.

Holy Crap, Donny! Nice pig, and great first blood! Your tuning efforts have been rewarded immensely. I’ve been noting down your mods, as one day I, too, will pick up a maverick. At that moment of trigger pull, it’s all about the power, wasn’t it? Nice! 

And that gun of yours, the way you dressed it up- perfect! Definitely an original! 

Now, I gotta ask, what you gonna do now with all those hatsans you got?

Triggertreat

Thanks...I am sure I will enjoy it on the night hunts for coons and hogs that I do. What I am not sure of is what it will take to mount it on the side rail of the Impact yet.

A 34mm scope ring will hold it just fine I believe. I had some 30mm rings floating around, so I turned down the body of the light on the lathe to fit that mount, and it works great!

Holy Crap, Donny! Nice pig, and great first blood! Your tuning efforts have been rewarded immensely. I’ve been noting down your mods, as one day I, too, will pick up a maverick. At that moment of trigger pull, it’s all about the power, wasn’t it? Nice! 

And that gun of yours, the way you dressed it up- perfect! Definitely an original! 

Now, I gotta ask, what you gonna do now with all those hatsans you got?

Thanks man! The power certainly helps, but the shot placement is helpful as well. I just got through tweaking the gun a bit more for the next hog hunt. I turned up the juice a little more, so it's running right at 130 fpe! During my tweaking tonight, I had the power as high as 133 fpe, but decided to back it down a hair to keep the gun happy. I worked hard on that camo job, but I was very happy with how it turned out, thanks for the compliment! I'm one of those "function is form" guys, so the camo was meant to make the gun less obvious. It just happened to look cool as well, haha. 

Like I mentioned above, I would have taken that same shot with a hot rodded .22 or .25 too. Well, actually I would have taken it with a well tuned .177 in the 45 to 50 fpe range. The last hog I killed, that was a little larger, was with my trusty Hatsan Flashpup in .177. Of course it was breathing some fire for a .177, haha. That gun now lives with Norman(blackdiesel). I shoot with him a lot, and he called dibs on that one, if I ever sold it. The .22 Hatsan has relocated to CA, so both of those were sold as soon as I listed them! I do still have my Flash rifle in .177 though. It's my house gun for pests and whatnot.

I can't wait to post some more adventures as they come :D

Thanks again, RallyShark! I received the AceBeam E10 in red today. I am very impressed with it. Fifty yards and much farther is not going to be an issue even on medium or low settings. I put it on a coon tonight and the coon had no issue with it until I starting walking around. I've gotta get a mount for it for the .30 cal Impact, so let the coon walk for now. It's going to be a handy light to have on hog and coon hunts.

Thanks again, RallyShark! I received the AceBeam E10 in red today. I am very impressed with it. Fifty yards and much farther is not going to be an issue even on medium or low settings. I put it on a coon tonight and the coon had no issue with it until I starting walking around. I've gotta get a mount for it for the .30 cal Impact, so let the coon walk for now. It's going to be a handy light to have on hog and coon hunts.

I'm glad I didn't "over sell" the light. It is a darn handy little light for night duty, especially given the size and super tight beam. It has become my go to light for hogs. They are completely oblivious to it, and I haven't found a critter that sees it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Tactical-Mounted-Picatinny-Reflex/dp/B00N1AA8FI

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Picatinny-Weaver-Detach-Diameter/dp/B089QX5D4F

@ TRIGGERTREAT Keith- most of these hunting lights have a 1” diameter body. These picatinny rail scope mount right behind the taper of your objective end is a good place to mount these.

and on the 1” light body, these Monstrum quick disconnect scope mounts are perfect for the light. Snap it onto that scope mount pic rail or the side pic rails on your impact and your good to go. 

The one thing I prefer the most over the Monstrum scope rings vs the UTG ones with a tab you flip to disconnect, is the Monstrum ones can be tightened up on the fly with no Allen tool, and that wing tab can be lifted up and oriented to any position and set back down. I’ve found that from one pic rail to the next, sometimes the widths are different and before when using the UTG tab style of QD’s, I always had to grab a 2mm Allen to readjust the grip tension.

I use the same concept for my saber tactical cheek riser so I can adjust my cheek piece tool free, with these lift to set thumb screws-

F88F6D56-371B-4DD6-B0A5-A513C364D992.1621306673.jpeg
D6DAC84B-12F1-4E29-A28C-AA24A17A4F09.1621306674.jpeg

Thanks, Big! The E10 measures 30.95mm O.D. I really like the quick disconnect one you linked, but didn't think the E10 would fit it as I tried fitting it in my spare No limit 30mm and it would not go with screws all the way out.

I order this style for now, but don't think I will like it. The good thing is that I can swap to other guns pretty quick with it. It should at least fit the Titian for now and be functional. Not where I really wanted it, but we'll see. Not what I paid for or ordered from. Just a quick link to share.

Amazon.com : WINDFIRE Multifunctional Tactical Flashlight Scope Mount Quick Release Nylon Plastic Mount Holder Adjustable Fixture Gun Rifle Shotgun Bike Telescope Light Night Vision Mount Fits Multiple Scope Size : Sports & Outdoors

Donny, may I ask- are you skipping social studies class each day to mod up your maverick? You look like you just turned 16!!! 

do you have a drivers license?

Hahaha! No sir, I think it's just the lighting. I'll be 44 this year, so I'm at least old enough to appreciate when someone thinks I'm younger ;) It must be the coffee and cigars 😅

Thanks, Big! The E10 measures 30.95mm O.D. I really like the quick disconnect one you linked, but didn't think the E10 would fit it as I tried fitting it in my spare No limit 30mm and it would not go with screws all the way out.

I order this style for now, but don't think I will like it. The good thing is that I can swap to other guns pretty quick with it. It should at least fit the Titian for now and be functional. Not where I really wanted it, but we'll see. Not what I paid for or ordered from. Just a quick link to share.

Amazon.com : WINDFIRE Multifunctional Tactical Flashlight Scope Mount Quick Release Nylon Plastic Mount Holder Adjustable Fixture Gun Rifle Shotgun Bike Telescope Light Night Vision Mount Fits Multiple Scope Size : Sports & Outdoors

That E10 is a little bit of an odd size diameter for sure. I have a lathe, so turning down the body a bit to fit a 30mm ring was a quick fix for me. I do realize, that's not really an option for a lot of people though. I think a 34mm mount that has the 30mm plastic insert would probably be a good option, since that insert could be sanded down a bit? Otherwise, a 34mm mount and wrapping the light with something to bring up the diameter could work. When I first got the light, I put it in a UTG 30mm mount I had laying around, and was able to get the screws started on that mount, so it did work a bit with no modification. I just wasn't able to tighten the mount all the way down. As cool as that little light is, you'd think Acebeam would have considered making that body 30mm even, but...