My M3 likes some .25 cal H&N Heavy Slugs

I’ve been trying to shoot slugs for about a year now. It’s been very frustrating at times but I think I’ve finally found the ammo, techniques, and knowledge to finally start having consistent success.

I’ve shot many different slugs and while I haven’t tuned specifically for each one I’ve been very disappointed with the results. If the groups looked promising I would try to dial in the tune better but when they’re flying all around at 30 yards I’d rather not waste my time. The best slug I had found was the H&N hp 34 gr. That was the one slug I could get a group that might compete with a pellet.

So when I learned about the heavy slugs coming down the pipe I couldn’t wait! H&N seemed to be the only brand I could get my gun to shoot. NSA were inconsistent, hybrids shot TERRIBLY and are expensive, jsb K O were ok but was slightly worse than the H&N. Tried the most popular weights and diameters from every brand and felt unsatisfied except for H&N. I’m not saying don’t shoot those brands or they’re bad. Use what works good for you. I just haven’t found any success with them (yet).

So here is what the new Heavy slugs did for me today. It was very cold and I was laying in some uncomfortable positions but I think they all shot very well compared to what I had been shooting. The 40gr and 44gr shot better than the 34 gr I liked. But the 44gr was only at 900fps with my stock m3. 40gr appears to be the best. All groups at 50 yards. Final reg at 150 with hammer maxed out. I shot more 38gr groups because they were the first ones up after I cleaned my barrel so wanted to make sure they got a fair shot.

.25cal 700mm superior heavy barrel.

You might try these if you’re struggling to shoot slugs. If I remember correctly they were about the same price or cheaper than H&N’s old slug line up at Utah Airguns. I expected them to be much higher in price but I’m happy that wasn’t the case. Maybe it’s because of end of the year discounts?

DC0F3420-DB6B-400A-B75D-69D2E68A7717.jpeg

9A06E203-9790-48D3-A1F3-85D1F37163B9.jpeg

064B2877-EBD6-4DD1-AF19-65D05D3EB1AF.jpeg

Very cool. I pre-ordered a bunch of the 38 grains from PA a couple weeks ago on super sale, they were cheaper than pellets. Now I just need to build something to sling them out of lol. Did you test the 0.249" or 0.250" versions?
The only ones that were available were the .249s last time I checked.

Reactions: MongooseV8
I found this post and decided to try the 34 grains in my M3 700 mm liner. I have the standard and heavy liners. I have tried almost all of the NSA from 38 grain and below with no luck. The H&N shoot great between 960 to 980 FPS, so I settled at 960 to save on air. This H&N the only slug my gun likes. On a calm day I can consistently shoot sub MOA groups. I have even tried the Zan slugs. They shot better than the NSA's but not near as consistent as H&N. Both lines shot very well, so I settled on the heavy liner. My second reg is set at 120 bars with Max velocity at 1010 fps throttled back to 960 FPS. I may give the 40 grains a try soon. I bought 20 tins of the 34's from PA. I normally buy from UA but they do not carry the lighter slugs in H&N. I shoot the .249