My JSAR Raptor

My JSAR rifle arrived yesterday. It's been an incredibly long wait (1 year). Half of that was due to my order being mishandled by an ex-employee of JSAR and the other half was due to Covid-19 and (most likely) major backups with the manufacturer. 

As you can see, I had mine custom Cerakoted Orange and Black. I ordered it with a .25 cal Slug and Pellet TJ's barrel thinking this might make a good long range slug launcher. I upgraded from the standard 350cc bottle to the 500cc bottle. I also went for the Donny FL SUMO option. I added 2 extra magazines (still pending being shipped). I had it specially tuned at the factory to shot the 34g JSB heavies. And, I wrapped it all up with the optional color matched skeletal grip. Basically... I got every option that's available! The extras alone total up to $680! 

DSC00208.1601779488.JPG

DSC00210.1601779671.JPG

DSC00206.1601779864.jpg

IMG_4236.1601780544.jpg

One thing you might notice is that there's no magazines or SS tray. That was a true statement until todays mail delivery. 1 of the 3 magazines, I ordered, arrived.

DSC00211.1601780365.JPG

XKNW3244.1601780805.jpg

There's a spanner wrench included with the rifle which is for adjusting the regulator. You can see the reg here with the "ADJ +/-" on it. 

DSC00212.1601780366.jpg

The Donny FL SUMO does an "ok" job of keeping it quiet. Don't get me wrong DFL's do an outstanding job! But, this rifle must just be extra loud because it still has a bit of a "pop" to it. 

DSC00213.1601780367.jpg

DSC00209.1601780684.jpg

I sent some shots downrange with it today. 100y groups went from impressive ragged hole groups of 5 to about 4-5 inches!?! But, don't be too hasty to judge! Shooting without a magazine or SS tray almost guarantees that every pellet sustained damage in some way during loading. 

I also noticed the probe seemed a little wobbly at one point. I thought this rifle might have had a "floating probe" type of design but, i was wrong...

IMG_4237.1601780804.jpg

As it turns out, the probe's 1.27mm set screw was starting to back out! It's a really small set screw! And as you might guess... as soon as it was loose from the rifle, there was a terrible "gravity surge" in my area! LOL! Good thing I had recently swept the floor!! After tightening it back up, with a dab of blue lock-tite, the probe returned to its proper position, aligned with the barrel. I'm thinking that between tightening up the probe and having a mag to properly align the pellet during loading, those large 100y groups will be a thing of the past!

For as simple of a design as it is, I found the cheek rest to be surprisingly comfortable!

IUWR7097.1601780806.jpg

Happy Shooting!

Tom

Reactions: Batman2
Congrats on the Raptor. Sounds like its a shooter. If it came from the factory shooting that well at 100 yards, then JSAR has really stepped up their game! Thats good news for potential buyers.

I also have a .25 Raptor and it has been a power house. I'm shooting jsb 34 gr at 950fps and getting 1inch or less grouping at 60 yards. I am debating putting mine up for sell, since I have little use for a 65-70fpe airgun. Lol. But for right now it remains safe since it shoots so well. Actually got a 956fps dupe 4 today on my chrony.

Anyways, please continue to share your experiences with the Raptor!

Screenshot_20201003-232347_Instagram.1601785457.jpg

...I also noticed the probe seemed a little wobbly at one point. I thought this rifle might have had a "floating probe" type of design but, i was wrong...
IMG_4237.1601780804.jpg

As it turns out, the probe's 1.27mm set screw was starting to back out! It's a really small set screw! ...

Yep, I had mine "lock up", turns out the screw got loose and the probe would not back out of the chamber when cocked. Fortunately for me, I work just down the street so had Travis check it out. He pulled the barrel reset the probe and lock-tighted the screw.

Your groups will get even better with more pellets through it.

Have fun!

Love the color scheme. Much like Hajimotos. Mine was a prototype that is being slowly upgraded to current configuration. It began as a Mini and still hae the shorth mag holder. However the bbl and tank are now full sized. 

It has been a hard road, but mostly only due to the prototype nature. It is now a fire breathing ultra accurate monster with the personality of a kitten.

Ultra easy to cock, low recoil and very very accurate. Jacob sent the latest trigger group, and the new .22 and .25 mag's which hold a much longer slug and more of them. They work very well!

The stupidly priced Bi pod the Accu-Tac is mostly your fault Tom! LOL!!! Here are a few pic's of the gun, (Not in's current form) and pics of its current accuracy with my own design HP .2227 slut. I do have .223, .250 and .257 barrels for int an as yet unfitted .172 as well. 

Knife

DSC02642.1601820248.JPG
DSC02644.1601820263.JPG
DSC02656.1601820296.JPG
DSC02646.1601820317.JPG
DSC02546.1601820341.JPG
DSC02627.1601820363.JPG
DSC02576.1601820411.JPG
DSC02543.1601820451.JPG
DSC02647.1601820539.JPG
DSC02648.1601820550.JPG
DSC02645.1601820627.JPG
DSC02649.1601820656.JPG
DSC02509.1601820712.JPG

Knife

Opinion .... In the case of these Pellet / Slug combo barrels your going to find they will likely shoot slugs better than pellets.

This due to the DEEP THROAT ( Aka: Free Bore ) that is required with many slugs in allowing some jump before engaging rifling. ( Larger the caliber worse it gets chambering a slug into rifling as well getting consistent velocity with a snug slug firmly chambered }

Shooting a pellet with a LOT of jump becomes a crap shoot that pellet with enter rifling square and true w/o yaw present.

* Pellets are nearly always more / most accurate when chambered having the head fully into rifling if not the entire pellet or at minimum the skirt sitting just shy of rifling engagement.

This was something i had shared with the machinist at JSAR trying to educate him on the general experienced requirements of each ( Pellets and Slugs ) & obviously being there marketing states either / or .... they appear to still be prepping barrels to those original deep throated specifications.

So... JSAR sent me 1 of the 3 magazines I ordered, in a separate shipment from the rifle with a little note attached stating that 2 more will be on the way. I feel like it must have been one of the last ones they had in the shop though. It looks well used and even has a cracked faceplate! Maybe it was the test mag for rifles being tested before shipping out?

Regardless, it seems like getting this to me had to be hard on them on some way and I'm happy that they went out of their way to send it. 

I'm looking forward to trying the rifle out with properly loaded pellets. But, I took some OT at work so, it'll probably be at least a week before I can get back to it again. 

DSC00218.1601934217.jpg

IMG_4241.1601934720.jpg

IMG_4242.1601934722.JPG

I thought this co. Was done ....so you can still order one ? I would never wait that long for any airgun but I'm guessing you really wanted it .

It's not that I wanted it so badly. I did want it but, It was more like... I kept forgetting about it when other things would pop up in my life. A month or 2 would go by without me even thinking about it. 

Tom

Summit Fire & EMS? That is not too far from me. I pass Summit Rd almost everyday on the 15 fwy. I live close to Wrightwood. There's always fire near the Cajon Pass by the 15 fwy. I was on evacuation notice just months ago. Anyway, I've been thinking about getting the Raptor .22 and I'm on the fence about it and close to pulling the trigger. As a matter of fact, I have one in my cart on their website as I type. I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but I just bought some other not so cheap rifles and am feeling like this addiction is getting really expensive lol. Does anyone have any regrets on buying a Raptor? If it is as good as it sounds, buy now or later wouldn't matter much if she's as powerful and accurate with both slugs and pellets.

Summit Fire & EMS? That is not too far from me. I pass Summit Rd almost everyday on the 15 fwy. I live close to Wrightwood. There's always fire near the Cajon Pass by the 15 fwy. I was on evacuation notice just months ago. Anyway, I've been thinking about getting the Raptor .22 and I'm on the fence about it and close to pulling the trigger. As a matter of fact, I have one in my cart on their website as I type. I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but I just bought some other not so cheap rifles and am feeling like this addiction is getting really expensive lol. Does anyone have any regrets on buying a Raptor? If it is as good as it sounds, buy now or later wouldn't matter much if she's as powerful and accurate with both slugs and pellets.

I don't know of too many that bought them and kept them. I'd look at something else personally.