• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My HW80 .25 is hitting like my HW30 .22

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
I think this is my first casualty. My 80 .25 normally hits my spinners with authority. 339E5FCC-157C-4AB7-AB19-D06ACA5AA708.jpeg Today the 80 didn’t hit any harder then my 30. When firing it has a muffled sound. I thinking a broken spring. I do have a Vortek kit for it. Breach seal? Looks like my first repair coming up. Crow
Any suggestions?

Piston seal is the usual suspect. Regular Weihrauch breech seal last forever. That's a 25 that uses a different breech seal that I'm not familiar with so I guess it could be bad. Lay a tissue over the breech and fire the rifle. The tissue will blow off if the breech seal is bad
Thanks for advice. Crow

Reactions: Mycapt65
G’day Crow, I have a quick question concerning your Hw30. I have been down the path of owning a Hw30 before but it was a lemon so I traded it back for my Hw50S, great rifle. The 30 was a 177 and I really don’t care for that caliber and I was thinking of going down the Hw30 path again but in 22 cal. I am looking for a quiet little hunter to say 25 metres. Are you happy with yours in regard to accuracy and quietness.
Gary

Reactions: crowski
G’day Crow, I have a quick question concerning your Hw30. I have been down the path of owning a Hw30 before but it was a lemon so I traded it back for my Hw50S, great rifle. The 30 was a 177 and I really don’t care for that caliber and I was thinking of going down the Hw30 path again but in 22 cal. I am looking for a quiet little hunter to say 25 metres. Are you happy with yours in regard to accuracy and quietness.
Gary
The accuracy is staggering. It’s as loud like a pea shooter. It’s under 500 fps. Absolutely satisfied. Crow

Check the very end of the compression tube for slag sticking out of corner seam. There's usually voids which isn't great but won't kill the seal. I recently found a bead of slag sticking out of the end plug braze on someone's brand new Hw50. Something like that would deform the seal and create a hot bypass that would burn the corner of seal. Weihrauchs have been coming over lubed for the last few years. That usual creates excessive dieseling which usually burns through the seal near the transfer port. That's why piston seal was my first guess. To have the corner burn through is unusual unless there's a problem with the tube or the seal was damaged badly upon installation.

Wow, @Mycapt65 spot on both times! Check the simplest thing first - the breech seal, then go from there to inspect the internals.
@crowski , that first picture was blurry but certainly tells the story. Looks like several portions of the outer lip of that seal are gone. All the carbon residue looked like excessive dieseling to and was what was going through my mind just as Mycapt made his 2nd post.

Definitely inspect the inside of the compression chamber where the transport port is very carefully for debris. It hadn't occurred to me that they're would be brazing filler or some other mechanical obstruction in there.

It's also possible that that seal was cut during assembly. Try to deburr the cutouts in the receiver tube before reassembling and fitting your new seal.

I would clean and degrease both the cylinder and spring and apply non-combustible lubricants of your choice. I'm still using the old school Moly paste sparingly on piston and seal, burnished into the chamber and the light spring tar. Usually only get a few light dieseling shots upon reassembly and testing

I'm not sure what the factory puts on the springs but as they vibrate during the shot cycle, stuff can be flung off and eventually work its way forward to the compression area and may contribute to dieseling if it's not the right choice.

GL,
Feinwerk

Last edited:
Wow, @Mycapt65 spot on both times! Check the simplest thing first - the breach seal, then go from there to inspect the internals.
@crowski , that first picture was blurry but certainly tells the story. Looks like several portions of the outer lip of that seal are gone. All the carbon residue looked like excessive dieseling to and was what was going through my mind just as Mycapt made his 2nd post.

Definitely inspect the inside of the compression chamber where the transport port is very carefully for debris. It hadn't occurred to me that they're would be brazing filler or some other mechanical obstruction in there.

It's also possible that that seal was cut during assembly. Try to deburr the cutouts in the receiver tube before reassembling and fitting your new seal.

I would clean and degrease both the cylinder and spring and apply non-combustible lubricants of your choice. I'm still using the old school Moly paste sparingly on piston and seal, burnished into the chamber and the light spring tar. Usually only get a few light dieseling shots upon reassembly and testing

I'm not sure what the factory puts on the springs but as they vibrate during the shot cycle, stuff can be flung off and eventually work its way forward to the compression area and may contribute to dieseling if it's not the right choice.

GL,
Feinwerk
Check the very end of the compression tube for slag sticking out of corner seam. There's usually voids which isn't great but won't kill the seal. I recently found a bead of slag sticking out of the end plug braze on someone's brand new Hw50. Something like that would deform the seal and create a hot bypass that would burn the corner of seal. Weihrauchs have been coming over lubed for the last few years. That usual creates excessive dieseling which usually burns through the seal near the transfer port. That's why piston seal was my first guess. To have the corner burn through is unusual unless there's a problem with the tube or the seal was damaged badly upon installation.
1200 rounds though it tops.
Feinwerk that’s wild probably when you were writing your post I was taking new pictures. I’ve got those last night late and my eyes are bad they look good then61930B51-E4A2-4890-A364-3F4BDA5DFE7B.jpegF8310A4D-91FC-4056-8760-87785CC2DAB9.jpeg.
This all new to me and I love it. Been waiting a long time for this. I have a boat load of guns to inspect and degrease. Sounds like they’re all gonna be the same.
Can’t thank you guys enough for advice, it really makes this so much more enjoyable. Presently I’m watching YouTube on greasing the internals. Crow

Okay much better pictures and now I see that the lip of the seal is blown out in just one place. May have started with a cut during assembly. You can definitely see where repeated heat from the compressed air during the shot cycle was blowing by and started to melt that synthetic seal on the side.

What kind of cyclic rate are you putting on that puppy during your intense shooting sessions??😄

I have a Beeman r1 from the '90s in 20 caliber, same power plant if I'm not mistaken. 25 caliber is a big jump up in mass and friction in the barrel. Are you shooting extra heavy pellets in yours? That would certainly cause lots of extra compression before the pellet travels down the barrel.

Last edited:
Seemed at gta nced said around how its been a rash/ common the hw seals get burned . Maybe they wrnt with a new or different lube thats not working out too well. That broken spring gun i posted above i went with krytox .. do far so good on ot except the arh seals . I just like a day or 2 ago went back with a hw seal again. Seems better now . Next time ill do a vortex seal seeing lots of guys like em.

For 400+$ and that "German quality" you kinda expect better , ya know?

Okay much better pictures and now I see that the lip of the seal is blown out in just one place. May have started with a cut during assembly. You can definitely see where repeated heat from the compressed air during the shot cycle was blowing by and started to melt that synthetic seal on the side.

What kind of cyclic rate are you putting on that puppy during your intense shooting sessions??😄

I have a Beeman r1 from the '90s in 20 caliber, same power plant if I'm not mistaken. 25 caliber is a big jump up in mass and friction in the barrel. Are you shooting extra heavy pellets in yours? That would certainly cause lots of extra compression before the pellet travels down the barrel.
I use JSB 25.39 and Hades. Crow

Yuck..

My hw spring broke in like 4 places in like 6 months of use from new .. seal was not burned but cracking

View attachment 313186

View attachment 313187
I know you know this but for others. Both the seal damage and the broken spring were caused by excessive dieseling from poor assembly practices and or over lubing. Very common in recent Weihrauchs. That piston seal is burned from the dieseling. It may not have completely burned through yet but it would have if the spring didn't let go first.

I know you know this but for others. Both the seal damage and the broken spring were caused by excessive dieseling from poor assembly practices and or over lubing. Very common in recent Weihrauchs. That piston seal is burned from the dieseling. It may not have completely burned through yet but it would have if the spring didn't let go first.
Maybe . It looked like new after a good clean up except for the cracking (seal). Sadly it was one time i did not pre inspect/ disassemble new out of the box . Well now has a arh spring and another hw seal. All a guy can do after the fact is shrug shoulders order a tune kit rebuild and keep on shooting.😁. Nuttin but a thing to deal with.lol.

Good luck.

You know, I’m grateful for my buddy introducing my to airguns , 3 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately some of his tunnel vision is a hard habit to break because those are my roots. Such as .177 cal. is garbage. And don’t touch the inside of the gun, especially Air Arms, very complicated.
Since reading this forum, almost 2 years, I now have 19 .177 springers.
Now that the 80 is apart, I realize this should have been done when new. Especially with all the warnings. I’m going to enjoy this. Thanks

|}

Reactions: maxtrouble
You know, I’m grateful for my buddy introducing my to airguns , 3 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately some of his tunnel vision is a hard habit to break because those are my roots. Such as .177 cal. is garbage. And don’t touch the inside of the gun, especially Air Arms, very complicated.
Since reading this forum, almost 2 years, I now have 19 .177 springers.
Now that the 80 is apart, I realize this should have been done when new. Especially with all the warnings. I’m going to enjoy this. Thanks

|}
I pretty much stuck to .22 myself. Not cause .177 is junk..lol , but more to hunting and buy one ammo

Its funny now i find it harder to get .177 then .22 back when it was .22

Also the cphp .177 here now cost a dollar more then the .22cphp. the .22 still that 6.40$ and now the .177 is $7 somthing. Oh also back when the .177 were mostly all flathead/ wads and the .22 dome. Today its cphp, destroyers, or pointed then that crazy gamo ones. Then less and less stores carry anything too boot. Pretty much here local if walmart dont have it your just not getting it back ff a shelve.

Reactions: crowski
I pretty much stuck to .22 myself. Not cause .177 is junk..lol , but more to hunting and buy one ammo

Its funny now i find it harder to get .177 then .22 back when it was .22

Also the cphp .177 here now cost a dollar more then the .22cphp. the .22 still that 6.40$ and now the .177 is $7 somthing. Oh also back when the .177 were mostly all flathead/ wads and the .22 dome. Today its cphp, destroyers, or pointed then that crazy gamo ones. Then less and less stores carry anything too boot. Pretty much here local if walmart dont have it your just not getting it back ff a shelve.
In Canada we’re paying $30. a tin + 13% tax. No free shipping. I scored my rounds before the increase. I may need some .20 rounds. I paid around $20. a tin. JSB’s.
Usually what happens in US happens in Canada 6 months later, I found through my business, so when you guys started complaining of the shortage of pellets, I scored a least 10 tins a week. Hated it at the time, grateful now. Crow

In Canada we’re paying $30. a tin + 13% tax. No free shipping. I scored my rounds before the increase. I may need some .20 rounds. I paid around $20. a tin. JSB’s.
Usually what happens in US happens in Canada 6 months later, I found through my business, so when you guys started complaining of the shortage of pellets, I scored a least 10 tins a week. Hated it at the time, grateful now. Crow
I was figuring when your buddy banned pistols up there it was going to cover all. Powder and air. I was thinking / looking for lots of closeouts fire sales ..lol. i guess he had to cool his heals on that in the end.