My GX CS4-I

Can you calibrate that there obsolete Fluke meter? (I'd trust yours more than mine, except 3 meters say about the same thing here).
Yes you can but haven't needed to. I also have a newer 376 and they both are on the same page. I probably have about 3K plus in Flukes. They all get compared with each other from time to time. They pay the bills around here. I trust my equipment.

• Love
Reactions: F6Hawk
Yes you can but haven't needed to. I also have a newer 376 and they both are on the same page. I probably have about 3K plus in Flukes. They all get compared with each other from time to time. They pay the bills around here. I trust my equipment.
I hear you. Just had to take my 115 apart to replace the fuse. One of the screw posts broke off, so I did a repair with JB Weld. But when I screwed it back together, it was out of alignment and cracked the front face. I am sad. Have had that thing since 2011, never failed me. Fluke makes awesome meters, no boutadoubtit.

I hear you. Just had to take my 115 apart to replace the fuse. One of the screw posts broke off, so I did a repair with JB Weld. But when I screwed it back together, it was out of alignment and cracked the front face. I am sad. Have had that thing since 2011, never failed me. Fluke makes awesome meters, no boutadoubtit.
Give them a call. They may have replacements or point you in the right direction.

Reactions: F6Hawk
F6Hawk, thank you. Interesting info, isn't the motor rated at 350 watts? So depending on actual input voltage, the rest of the machine uses about the same amount of power as the motor. I wouldn't have expected that, though I have not looked closely at one of these. Not that it really matters, just interesting.
Yes, the CS4 & CS4-I both use a 350w motor. My voltage here runs about 122.8~123.2 vac.

Good news for future CS4-I buyers; in the near future, you should see the DC power cord coming with loom installed, as opposed to two gangly cables, like this:

1710994893759.png

Good news for future CS4-I buyers; in the near future, you should see the DC power cord coming with loom installed, as opposed to two gangly cables, like this:

View attachment 447417
Nothing that some Gorilla (duct) tape or inexpensive shrink wrap can't fix in less than 5 minutes anyway.

At one point I was almost sad that I bought the GX CS4 (external power supply), but now I don't really care one way or the other.

I am happy... so far. (chuckle)

All my best!

Kerry

Nothing that some Gorilla (duct) tape or inexpensive shrink wrap can't fix in less than 5 minutes anyway.

At one point I was almost sad that I bought the GX CS4 (external power supply), but now I don't really care one way or the other.

I am happy... so far. (chuckle)

All my best!

Kerry

Yeah, I almost went with tape, but the idea of sticky residue in a year turned me off. Tried wrapping with braided fishing line, but I only have 10lb on hand, and it is too fine to "stick".

So I went with spiral wire wrap for $8. Very clean. And after my recommendation, GX has said they will start using it as well.

Also, don't be sad for choosing the CS4. There are no CS4-I power supplies in the US as we speak (also trying to change that ASAP). But there are many options for buying the external PS online. The external is simpler because it is a 2-pole, vs the CS4-I which has more proprietary connections:

1710998775082.png

Yeah, I almost went with tape, but the idea of sticky residue in a year turned me off. Tried wrapping with braided fishing line, but I only have 10lb on hand, and it is too fine to "stick".

So I went with spiral wire wrap for $8. Very clean. And after my recommendation, GX has said they will start using it as well.

Also, don't be sad for choosing the CS4. There are no CS4-I power supplies in the US as we speak (also trying to change that ASAP). But there are many options for buying the external PS online. The external is simpler because it is a 2-pole, vs the CS4-I which has more proprietary connections:

View attachment 447422
As I said, I am not sad about buying the CS4. On the contrary, I am happy with it so far.

At one time, I thought I would have liked the supposed "convenience" of the CS4-I model, but after what I have seen, I am content with the CS4.

It does all I need for HPA and is capable of much more than I am using it for if I live long enough and desire to take advantage of it.

As for the "sticky residue" after a year... if you get that then you used the wrong tape or simply didn't do it right in the first place! (smile)

Then again, there is baling wire... (chuckle)

All my best!

Kerry

So if that power supply takes a dump, can you still use the 12vdc cables. Does the 12vdc cables bypass the power supply?
I don't think they bypass the PS, as the fan runs when connected. I briefly looked at the wiring when I had the PS off, and it appeared that 12vdc comes in to the PS, but immediately goes right out to the board, though it's hard to say for certain without unplugging wires. It may well pass thru DC circuitry to protect the motor; for certain, when I use DC to power the unit, the PS fan still runs. But it might be possible to burn the AC side and still have a working DC side; I'd have to see a schematic to verify (not gonna happen, obviously).

If nothing else, one could remove the PS completely, jumper the wires from the DC input to the DC output to the board, and likely still keep pumping. But I'd have to test this to be certain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
As I said, I am not sad about buying the CS4. On the contrary, I am happy with it so far.

At one time, I thought I would have liked the supposed "convenience" of the CS4-I model, but after what I have seen, I am content with the CS4.

It does all I need for HPA and is capable of much more than I am using it for if I live long enough and desire to take advantage of it.

As for the "sticky residue" after a year... if you get that then you used the wrong tape or simply didn't do it right in the first place! (smile)

Then again, there is baling wire... (chuckle)

All my best!

Kerry

I was thinking more in terms of removing the tape for MX purposes down the road. But really, that is highly unlikely. I'm sure that black electrical tape would work just fine.

Let's just assume you and I will be sharing experiences of filling guns and tanks all the way to 2069, eh? :love: