My GX CS4-I

Just a quick teaser, more to follow. A couple of side-by-side pics for ya. Note the angled design of the 4-I case.

1710714474533.png

And the 4-I is a tad bit longer than the 4.

1710714530304.png

Flushing the coolant system thoroughly. I had initially filled/ran/drained the reservoir about 10 times but wasn't satisfied with the clarity of the water. The first three runs, it was so cloudy I couldn't see the hole in the bottom. But after 2 minutes of running it with fresh water in and the return. line draining on the ground, I was satisfied. Finished with 8ml of water wetter and 242ml (ish) of distilled.

Last edited:
Notice pic #2 above. For all the people saying it is a BAD THING to put water into the grease pot area, here's a pic of water in that same area. The grease pot and air inlet are the same port, and water is GOING to exist in these areas as compression happens. It is normal. You will NOT damage your GX by following the manufacturer's recommendation, I promise.

And now, the pics several of you have been asking for... the inside of the cylinder!

1710733417760.png

Different grease in the crankacase than what's in the grease pot. Thicker, and smells like a petro-based grease.
1710733466358.png

First stage separated from cylinder wall:
1710733488154.png

First stage upside down (just another view, shows the air/grease inlet). Shiny part is 1st stage, black greasy part is 3rd stage:
1710733598071.png

2nd stage separation from it's cylinder wall:
1710733831255.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: F6Hawk
Boy, you didn't waste anytime getting the new one 😅. What's all the black sludge. Is that from a o-rings breaking down and mixing with the grease?
Naw, I think it is just the silicone getting worked. Probably some color from the o-rings and seals. Bear in mind, I have run it less than 1 minute before taking these pics; it's all factory running thus far.

After reassembly, all I did was a couple of DH test. 32 seconds to 300 bar, and 42 seconds to 400 bar.

1710734803365.png

Naw, I think it is just the silicone getting worked. Probably some color from the o-rings and seals. Bear in mind, I have run it less than 1 minute before taking these pics; it's all factory running thus far.
Copy, doesn't look great. As for the grease pot, kinda odd they don't fill it up all the way. If you show them that, they will say it's low and fill it.. 🤔

Reactions: Airgun Al
Copy, doesn't look great. As for the grease pot, kinda odd they don't fill it up all the way. If you show them that, they will say it's low and fill it.. 🤔

Looks aren't everything. I was about to wipe it all off and replenish it, but when I touched it, it was dark, but CLEAN. As in zero grit. It was so smooth, I just relocated some of it on the piston off my fingers and let it go.

Having seen what I saw today, I probably won't touch the grease knob for at least 10 hours, or perhaps even when I hear a change in sound (as the NEW instructions on the CS4-I indicate - IF THE COMPRESSOR SPEED IS NORMAL, DO NOT ADD GREASE.). Now I see why Jason is saying that after a year, lubrication is not needed.

Reactions: W.Sheid