• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My grail & first .20cal !!!!

35+ years of lust and I finally own one! Dated March '67, must have been a safe queen (I'm told that it was serviced / resealed recently). It's in terrific shape from everything that I see, Pumps smooth, holds air, and it had to have been well cared for! 

8096C29F-B38C-4168-9376-2077ED95B97E.1611605595.jpeg
729E459D-CD76-4B02-A1CF-88B0471A739A.1611605595.jpeg
827897CC-2C71-4C12-BBCE-E5B3ED1C348C.1611605595.jpeg

I got an add-on Picatinny rail for it. I'll probably put a scope on it to test the ammo that I ordered for it (bought a tin of nearly everything that I could find lol). Afterwards, I'll probably drop a little Trijicon RMR on top that I have on a Scalarworks mount so I can run a (QD) 3x magnifier behind it.

While every air gun enthusiast should have a Sheridan .20 in there collection. There great shooting guns for a pump pneumatic no doubt.

But as to your FIRST .20 it won't be very telling as too the potential of the caliber in general. Then sometime down the road get a PCP in .20 then you may learn what a lot of us have and why for the caliber is never going to die.

Yup that is a CLEAN ONE for sure !! have a 1966 myself but no where that clean.

Very nice. I got the ammo for it. Now i just need that gun.lol

LOL

Sweet. Your mileage may vary but my 73 Silver Streak shoots the H&N FTT's and the JSB's very well so some to try.

Awesome purchase. I always liked the old beeman pellets as well 
1f60e.svg
I need to move my butt on finishing my old beeman resto. It's a spanish norica, but still was very accurate and had a nice trigger. Was my first "real" airgun when I was a kid.

While every air gun enthusiast should have a Sheridan .20 in there collection. There great shooting guns for a pump pneumatic no doubt.

But as to your FIRST .20 it won't be very telling as too the potential of the caliber in general. Then sometime down the road get a PCP in .20 then you may learn what a lot of us have and why for the caliber is never going to die.

Yup that is a CLEAN ONE for sure !! have a 1966 myself but no where that clean.

I put a lot of faith into the 15.89gr JSB Heavy and the H&N Barracudas to shoot decently out of this thing. I'm not one to waste or resell pellets, so if it doesn't like them then I guess I'll have to buy that R9 that I've wanted lol

Only thing I don't have in .20 is Motorhead's PCP, but I do have 7 other .20's besides that Silver Streak in spring and one I converted to gas ram so I'll raise a hand and say yep, go get that R9 .20 because yes it's one of the 7...lol.

Pellets I got covered and maybe someday I'll manage to get hands on a box of the old Crosmans to try. Always seen then very well spoken of but always seem to miss the rare ones that come up for sale. No biggie, I got time :)

Seems to be shooting decent velocities. Compression is good enough to make my hand hurt after 5 pumps lol. Here is what it's averaging (4 shots at each power, shot within 1 minute of pumping):

H&N Barracuda (13.58gr):

• 10 pumps: 745fps
  • 6 pumps: 614fps
  • 4 pumps: 520fps

JSB Heavy (15.89gr):

• 10 pumps: 699fps
  • 6 pumps: 592fps
  • 4 pumps: 499fps

Beeman Silver Bear:

• 10 pumps 863fps

When I let it sit for 15 minutes on 6 pumps, velocity dropped to 585fps with the JSB Heavies. I let it sit for an hour and change, and the velocity was 584fps. Most of the shots at strings for each pellet + pump rate were within 4fps Pretty happy about that!

What are you guys using for oil? I remember vaguely that non-detergent motor oil works pretty well in these rifles. Wondering if I can get away with using some hydraulic oil (Mobil DTE 26) 🤔

I have a stash of the crosmans and others. My rapid love the new jsb exact heavys 15.9 a tad better. With a bc of .044 depending on speed they buck the wind better. Group @ 85 yds.
5837233161.1611626177.jpg
5837233471.1611626226.jpg

Wow! That is very respectable. What velocity are you shooting those at?

How many pumps are you guys pumping yours to?

The rapid push them @ 900 fps. I have pop starlings @ 130 yds

That rifle brings back many fond memories. It was the very first air rifle I ever saw put a hole through a tin can -- made a big impression on my 8-year-old self. Also, my next-door neighbor (same age as me) had one, and we spent many a summer day shooting starlings and grackles that we baited into the back yard with bread. I can almost hear the sound when you shake that yellow pellet box, lol.

That rifle brings back many fond memories. It was the very first air rifle I ever saw put a hole through a tin can -- made a big impression on my 8-year-old self. Also, my next-door neighbor (same age as me) had one, and we spent many a summer day shooting starlings and grackles that we baited into the back yard with bread. I can almost hear the sound when you shake that yellow pellet box, lol.

The sound of the pellets in the box is definitely unique!

Those are some really great performance numbers! Beautiful rifle as well !

Thank you!