My Git-R-Done gun is finished

Taipan Veteran Shorty .22 tuned at 880fps with 16gr AA pellets. Topped off with Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 MIL sitting in UTG Pro POI Low rings with Wheeler bubble level and Butler Creek caps. Had different rings and bubble level but weren't thrilled with them. Very happy with these. The gun just performs outstanding in all situations I need it for and off my standing tripod or bench tripod with rear bag, can shoot it as good as most any other gun I've owned. 

IMG_20210727_211429402.1627451840.jpg
IMG_20210727_211415226.1627451840.jpg

Reactions: gdw72
It looks like you were blessed with a head that lets you get a scope mounted nice and low. I’m sure that will pay dividends when you don’t have time to look at bubbles. I think I told you before that you inspired me to rescope my Taipan. Glad I did because I’ve been pesting with it way more often because my Impact has me pissed. Hope I get the FX figured out before my neighbor burns that brush pile or I might just chuck it in. Thank god for set it and forget guns like the Taipans. 

cOOL mAN! I love my Taipan VL and shoot it daily. I would have gotten a Taipan shorty but wanted to experiment and got an RTI Performance Compact instead so I've definitely got 'fur and feather' covered.

Just realized my new camera tripod has the same receiver as you are using so all I need is the male component to attach to an existing picatinny rail for both guns so I can be cool and shoot of a tripod. It'll be HANDY in a dairy environment with so many high up shots!!!

Congratulations on a FINE GUN and getting a saweeeet setup dialed in.I am shooting the 16gr from the RTI and will probably stay with that weight rather than 18gr.

@Vetmx yeah I got high cheek bones and also hate a high mounted scope if not needed. I'm glad you rescoped and are shooting it more cause as you said they are good set it and forget it dependable guns. I do hope you get the impact figured out soon as I've followed and seems extremely frustrating.

@L.Leon thanks! It is a really nice handy gun that has surprised me in ease of shooting on a tripod for being so short and lightweight, and just a great gun out the truck and off hand.

@Dave thanks!

@MikeHunt yeah I don't blame you. Those Prophet Compacts seem amazing. I'd love one someday maybe down the line but am very happy with my Shorty. But yeah ARCA is the way to go for tripods I think. And really for a bipod also. Much nicer than picatinny IMO for removing and can slide to different positions easily on a longer rail. And yes there so handy on a dairy. Last week I sat shooting starlings and pigeons at the end of the day in our feed lane and wiped out a bunch in short order off a tripod.

And LOL about the garage. That's the only corner that was cleanish at the moment. Going through a kitchen remodel which will be done likely end of next week. But this is what it really looks like. 

IMG_20210728_063150734.1627482033.jpg

Usually has my truck and wife's car with plenty of room but now yeah it's a mess and drives me nuts. But won't be that way for much longer.

Aye, we saw the tidy half. Kitchen remodeling is ALL CONSUMING, been there, done that.

My dairy has a some posts, keeping equipment from getting smashed by tractors, and I rest the bipod on those but the birds on one end of the feed storage are not visible from that perch. That's gonna change!

The BEST sniping is on top of a cement cap that has the poop reservoir, after they flush the stalls, but it's stinky there and noisy when the pumps are running. Now I can move off 'The Lake" and snipe in fresh air and quiet!

We are not that far apart and I'd love to squeeze off a few rounds with the Shorty and you are welcome to shoot a tank's worth on the RTI!!!

@Calbarry thanks! It's definitely quiet as is. I don't think one needs an added LDC but some others might. If absolutely dead silent is necessary then sure but it's quiet as is.

@MikeHunt yeah alot of my shooting is by calf hutches and with a bipod I had to shoot off the hutches but didn't really get access to the rows where the birds eat the grain mainly only the ones that would land quickly on top of the hutches. Now I can setup in any spot and have tons of shot opportunities I never had before. You'll love it! And yeah not sure where your at exactly in OR but I'm about 3hrs from Portland to the northeast. Would be fun to make something workout whenever I get the time.

@Green_Yamo thanks!

@glem.chally thanks! The length is a hair under 24" I think 600mm so around 23.7" or something like that. Taken out well over 50 birds so far with it in 2 outings so they definitely need to watch out!

@av8r thanks! So yes I did change the HSA on it. I swapped the factory HS adjuster for a DonnyFL speed dialer and dropped the speed from 920fps to 880fps with the 16gr pellets. 2 turns CCW and I'm shooting at 620fps with same pellets for close range shooting.

Nice rig Dillon. How's the Athlon Helos BTR 2-12×42 been working out for you since you've had more time to shoot with it? What power level have you been shooting it with?

Thanks brother! Honestly I'm loving it. Very different reticle to what most of us are likely used to on airguns and I was very hesitant about it but now having some hours behind it, it's great. I shoot at 6x-8x usually. I find that to be the sweet spot for center dot size to my eyes and great FOV. Have shot out to 100yds+ with that setting.