My FX Impact .177 has no problems!

Sorry about the clickbait title.

The only problems I have are of plenty.

• I get plenty of shots in .177
  • I have plenty of tunability in .177 - from 8.4 gr pellets, to 16 grain slugs
  • I have plenty of options to change calibers if required.
  • I have plenty of expandability options -
    • Add a Saber Tactical arca rail? No problem.
    • Add a sling QD on the side? No problem.
    • Change this or that? Easy. Add a pin probe? Add a dual transfer port? No problem!

I have seen numerous complaints about FX, and I had my worries before ordering it earlier this year. I got the MKII in .177 (and they immediately released the M3, but there is no buyer's remorse).

Out of the box, it was shooting hot - the reg was at 80 bar, and the pellets were over 1000 fps.
Learnt to tune and retune, and it's an easy thought process now.

• I want to shoot 8-10 gr pellets? Simple, set the reg to 45-50, and adjust the HS tension to low. Set the valve to the first line. Within 10 test tune pellets, I have a working 870-930 range (and a shot count of well over 200, stopped counting and refilled when required). My earlier PCP gave me 40 shots before running out.
  • I want to shoot JSB and Gamo 16 grain? Covered. Up the reg to 80-100, and I'm shooting this at 900 without a problem.
  • Want to shoot my heavier 16.6 gr slugs? Easy enough. The reg goes to 135 - 140, and I need to adjust the HS to about more than midway (about 25 quarter turns from where I am at low) and increase the valve to 2.

There is no overthinking it, you know how the Impact will perform when you do this a few times.

If I only want to shoot pellets at a certain tune - I would keep that tune, loctite the HS screw, and leave it alone, but I haven't had the need to do so yet.

Leaks?
Nope. I realize there are multiple O rings and one or the other will give way eventually, so I've learned how to assemble and disassemble the FX. Use silicone oil when removing stuff and putting it together, and you'll be OK. Any PCP will have O ring failures, but I believe the expandability of the Impact leads it to be slightly more leak prone.
The only issue I had was losing 20 bar overnight, every time I refilled. After going through forums, I realized it was because of the hot air in a fill from the compressor, and 10-15 bar loss in a larger capacity bottle was actually the air cooling down. Have learned not to keep a PCP at full pressure over a period of time. Maybe just enough to put pressure against the O rings, and fill when necessary.

POI shifts? None. I would probably index my liner if required, but I'm getting pellet on pellet groups at 20-50 meters, and I've seen more than enough videos to know it is a capable long range platform.
I had a 3D print done for the barrel band from a design by Roelf Vorster - it is probably not required, but an additional 'secure' thing.

Fanboyism?
There is plenty of it. I am not an FX fanboy, but I realize there are camps in the sport/hobby and in these forums. Some root for Edgun, others for the Delta/Red wolfs, others for RTI and yet others for any other company.
For me, this is just a piece of high quality machinery/equipment that I like, and serves the purpose. My purpose is expandability, the ability to change tunes, and caliber change in the future (I know the Leshiy 2 does that too, and it is a fine piece of air arms tooling and research, just not my cup of tea at this given point in time).
I like the way FX tries to resolve customer queries, and helps them. There have been hiccups, and production woes, particularly with new releases, but I am pretty sure FX helps - this isn't a cheap airgun.
I sometimes wonder at why people get so agitated about what others are using, some members who even try to badmouth other people/promoters of FX and even end users. I don't think it serves any purpose. Shoot and let shoot, and learn. Above all, try and share knowledge and not put down others. If there is another well built gun, appreciate it for what it is, and we should also appreciate the fact that we're in an age of airgunning where we have so many fine options, that I never dreamed could happen just a couple of decades ago.

For example @Tor47 shared some great info on how an FX .177 would behave, and he was on the mark. Have seen many other super-helpful members who contribute to the forum, with their experience.

The FX impact is not for ...

• People who don't want a tunable PCP - they like their air rifles at a single tune, and can work with pellet weight increment and velocity reduction.
  • People who don't like a large bunch of O rings (Airforce rifles are well made and have low numbers of O rings), and there are many other air rifles with more 'reliability'.
  • People who don't like a PCP that is built like it'll never break. The FX Impact is aluminum, but it is sturdy enough to take some knocks. I doubt it'll survive a car over it, so that's there.

Anything I don't like?
Yes!
I don't like the trigger.
I don't like the fact that the stock picatinny mount is too small in length and I couldn't mount my existing bipod with a Harris stud QD. Had to purchase another bipod with a smaller length attachment. Have a Saber Tactical arca-swiss on the way and it'll solve some of this.

Other Thoughts
From what I hear, there are thousands upon thousands of FXs being sold worldwide, and the US, while a large market, is still a part of the worldwide market. For the amount of FX's being sold, the complaints aren't very high, as a percentage, and most can be resolved (and some are user error too - I read about a used purchase, where the barrel was pulled apart, and the retaining pin was all hammered in because the person didn't bother to align the notch).

At the end of the day, a person puts their hard earned money after reading, researching, thinking and then putting this money in the hands of a company. There are a lot of impulse purchases that people regret as well. I used to frequent this forum and kept looking at Youtube reviews and usage experience - checked out FX, Edgun, Daystate videos and tried to make sense of the Impact, and after a time decided this platform was the way I wanted to go, because it checked all my requirements. I really liked the Leshiy 2 as well, I went through the entire Leshiy 2 thread, and many other information sources, but it wasn't for me (for now).

I enjoy tuning and tinkering with the Impact, and I realize that this is not for everyone. My experience has been great so far, and I see a lot of positives, compared to the negatives. It is certain of online forums and social media, that negative posts will gather more traction and views than positive ones.

What next?
Waiting for a .177 - 700mm liner.
Maybe an M4 or M5 a few years later.

Glad to read you can spit 16 grains slugs out of it ( NSA i assume,,,,, i have a couple boxes of 15 grains ) and with a 600 mm barrel ( i still assume )

Putting a complete rebuild kit in my old Cyclone, i was a bit miffed about the "complexity" i am a bit sad it dont seem like they have done more to simplify / beef up things.

Very impatient awaiting the arrival of my Maverick "special"

I also like the Leshy 2, though its price is a bit much, not least since the .177 version have the same shot count ( mag size ) as a .30 cal version. Had it had more shots in .177 it would have been a contender.

Same go for the RTI prophet performance edition, if my seller had gotten that back in stock 2-3 months ago i would have snagged that up even if it is a bit expensive VS the Maverick ( it actually cost a little bit more here, for what i consider a more raw gun )

Total click bait!!! How are all the FX naysayers going to complain about inconsistent,weak, bad quality, too many orings, not built like a tank, POI shift, inaccurate, reg creep, overly complicated………I’m sure there are more other problems. 

I for one demand an uncut video of you dropping your impact in the dirt and drive it over with your SUV then shoot 1 inch group at 100 yards. 

Glad to read you can spit 16 grains slugs out of it ( NSA i assume,,,,, i have a couple boxes of 15 grains ) and with a 600 mm barrel ( i still assume )

Putting a complete rebuild kit in my old Cyclone, i was a bit miffed about the "complexity" i am a bit sad it dont seem like they have done more to simplify / beef up things.

Very impatient awaiting the arrival of my Maverick "special"

I also like the Leshy 2, though its price is a bit much, not least since the .177 version have the same shot count ( mag size ) as a .30 cal version. Had it had more shots in .177 it would have been a contender.

No - these are Spoton 16.7s, they are actually a very tight fit in other barrels, but the Impact can send these at 900 at 140-150 on the reg. I also installed the 177 dual transfer port from Huma. I was not able to get a 600 barrel, unfortunately, and there was a shortage of FX (all over the world, I guess), so I bought what was available. The better thing to do is wait for the 177/700 liner so I can properly use these to plink long range. The Leshiy 2 is amazing for what it is, and the low shot count is a factor in consideration too. It has great capabilities as a backpack hunting and plinking gun, and is accurate too. Enjoy your Maverick!

Excellent article! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

awesome post ...177er..!

Thank you!

the only thing missing is superior heavy liner for .177 but i suspect it is being worked at

Yes, I'm waiting on the 700, from what I hear, they will begin shipping.... some point soon?

Total click bait!!! How are all the FX naysayers going to complain about inconsistent,weak, bad quality, too many orings, not built like a tank, POI shift, inaccurate, reg creep, overly complicated………I’m sure there are more other problems. 

I for one demand an uncut video of you dropping your impact in the dirt and drive it over with your SUV then shoot 1 inch group at 100 yards.

:) Haha! I'm never going to mistreat this gun, plus I cannot afford to showcase driving a car over this gun! I am sure it'll probably break beyond repair, never to shoot again. But perhaps that'd be an excuse to get a Leshiy instead. I like complication, and this is probably why this resonates with me. I know others don't, and they would have to find something that they find better suits their style of shooting and taste.

Not a complaint.

I read here (AGN) and elsewhere that the full power Impact (not sub 12ft) would not function below 80 on the reg without changing the hammer spring, as yours can, I am left wondering why.

I don't know about this. The tuning post by Tor47 on an earlier thread mentioned that the lower you went on the reg, the more you'd need to reduce the HS preload, and for .177, it would have to be at minimum. I find this true.

All the non FAC models are fully functional from what I understand, even in 177. Just that you might need to retune. The factory tune is probably for JSB beasts or more. I found I needed to go to 50 on the reg and lowest on HS and I can push .177 10.34 JSBs at 850-900. I do have the FX chrono, so tuning is fairly straightforward.

Here are some sample strings.

Enjoyed your overview! Thanks

Can you compare the report/bang when you shoot a 10 grain pellet with a moderator to any other air rifles? Specifically a .177 Marauder (quiet enough for me), .177 Redwolf (quiet enough for me), Daystate Huntsman in ,177 (not quiet enough). I want to get an impact in ,177 but I cant buy it if it is as loud as my Huntsman because I cant shoot that on my property without getting complaints.

Thanks

Enjoyed your overview! Thanks

Can you compare the report/bang when you shoot a 10 grain pellet with a moderator to any other air rifles? Specifically a .177 Marauder (quiet enough for me), .177 Redwolf (quiet enough for me), Daystate Huntsman in ,177 (not quiet enough). I want to get an impact in ,177 but I cant buy it if it is as loud as my Huntsman because I cant shoot that on my property without getting complaints.

Thanks

It is hard to quantify this. The stock moderator provided with FX does not do a very good job - it is loudish. I downloaded a 3D file for the FX suppressor - an insert, modified it and had it printed. Then, I wrapped some soft velvet cloth around it to make it even more quieter. Ready made, I would probably go for a DonnyFL.

As a short explainer, when the hammer spring setting wheel is set to max (doesn't matter if you are medium on the HS preload spring tension), there is a much louder thud and bang. When I set it to min on the wheel - at 50 - 70 bar, the air rifle is very quiet. I don't have a way to compare it to the Daystates unfortunately. The other loud part is when the pellet hits my metal backstop, so that would possibly be another consideration if you want a quieter shooting experience. You can actually feel the rifle 'behave' well when properly tuned and valve adjusted.

There are earlier posts which mentions how to tune this, but for .177, I would probably go with a low HS preload, set the reg to about 50, and then tune with the valve opening at 2, and then bring it in till you get a slight speed drop, and then adjust the HS. Frankly, it is much easier to tune the Impact for .22 and above, rather than .177, but that's how it is.

i have to agree .it"s been a pleasure to read this post.i recently received my M3 in 22 cal ,,having long forgotten 177 as viable option,only in my springers do i use 177,

that said .i do belive its time to get a 177 barrel kit for my M3 thanks again for the read HYNZIE4S

I had a springer, but long forgotten in favour of PCPs. The cheap ammo and the fact that all my requirements were ticked by the Impact made my decision easier. This is a very capable platform.

I too have an Impact with no problems, except I've tuned it, want to add some upgrades, but it's shooting so well, am afraid I'll just foul up a perfectly good tune. It's not just expandability, but upgradeability. Mine started as a Gen 1, with a standard air plenum and original STX barrel. Have upgraded to the Power Plenum and X Barrel with a Superior Liner. I have the Slug Kit and Ernest's high flow transfer port waiting to install. But, it's shooting 34 grain pellets at 840fps +- about 4fps. Don't think I'm going to touch it for a while. Very consistent. Very accurate.

Now, I need a tinkering gun. . . . . . .

It's baffling that people are proud that their $2000 rifle shoots well and does not leak.

An FX liner, or many other parts cost more than most of my air guns.

I am happy I am not so addicted :)

I don't understand why it is baffling - I display no pride in this - it doesn't matter if a PCP gun is 2000, or 200USD, it's a mechanical thing, and will eventually leak. I have repeatedly mentioned this is something that ticked all the boxes in a platform I needed. It might not be for others. The price is secondary and out of context in this case. A person could buy a Mercedes or a Ferrari and still have problems (and do have problems) with those cars compared to a Ford or Toyota.

I don't know if the comment is intended in a critical way or not, but I do have a cheaper air rifle. It does not leak either. Mentioning the FX leaking is because of so many complaints. As with any pressurized air component that uses O rings, they are bound to leak at some point in time. I was making a tongue in cheek comment about the complaints I hear, which can be easily resolved, if someone gets their sleeves rolled up and bothers to know their machinery. I like working with computers, and with mechanical things and this is interesting to me. Others don't, and then complain, but there are many issues that could be easily solved with a little research and time. That is why I also mention that there are so many options that do not involve you buying a potentially over-tunable airgun, but getting something simpler, and with less troubleshooting areas.

I too have an Impact with no problems, except I've tuned it, want to add some upgrades, but it's shooting so well, am afraid I'll just foul up a perfectly good tune. It's not just expandability, but upgradeability. Mine started as a Gen 1, with a standard air plenum and original STX barrel. Have upgraded to the Power Plenum and X Barrel with a Superior Liner. I have the Slug Kit and Ernest's high flow transfer port waiting to install. But, it's shooting 34 grain pellets at 840fps +- about 4fps. Don't think I'm going to touch it for a while. Very consistent. Very accurate.

Now, I need a tinkering gun. . . . . . .

Thank you for this information. I too installed a dual transfer port, but if your gun is working as you want it to, I would suggest leaving it alone, UNLESS you want to do different weights or calibers.

Still no problems.
I can take out the FX impact and shoot it every week.

I am looking to get a 177 700mm liner though, this is so I can better use heavier pellets and slugs. I think they'll benefit with the extra 20mm and I'll be able to use a lower reg pressure.

I would also like to tune for more shot count. Is that possible - will going lower than 40 on the reg be an issue?

I get an easy 900 fps at 50 on the reg. 14-16 grain 22 pellets go at about 850-875 without retuning.