• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My FWB 300 videos ..Both Parts ...Tear down and Rebuild !

"blackdiesel"That's not an air rifle, I didn't see an air tube or place to insert a fill probe anywhere in the video :D
Joe, what do you suggest we do with this guy. I think it's time we teach him a lesson in REAL argunning, wouldn't you agree. Once we take away his fill probe, he's like a turtle on it's back, helpless. LOL, it almost starts to sound somewhat kinky. :p :D ;)

Lol , Black Diesel I think is a closet springer guy !!! He takes It out when nobody's looking ...ive only made 3 videos and if you guys wouldn't mind , any tips I would really appreciate them ..
I'm filming using my mini iPad because I don't have a true camera setup yet . I didnt get all tricky with any effects or anything .
Some o the AirGun videos play music and have intro effects and titles for like 3-4 minutes before they actually say anything . I just wanted to jump on in and get after it . I got a gun that'll be here later today . I'm gonna strip it and reblued it this evening and I'll film the assembly and upload it tomorrow

I'm not going to talk about diesel's fill probe.

Ok Joe about your video. I like it a lot and I have looked at about all the videos on the FWB 300. And I would recommend yours as the best for a first time 300 take down. Your video has the best lighting I have seen and your close ups are spot on. Joe you are the man!

random thoughts time 
When you do your video to assemble it. I would do a close up the small spring steel in action and the piston locking device that slides into the action that the spring goes into. And the little half moon filler that also goes into that slot. (I know you mentioned it but for a first time breakdown it would be nice if they knew what those two pieces do since I have had those fall out on the table and have to figure out what they do, to know which way to turn the one with the slot.) And you did a perfect description of which way you have to turn the spring steel.(that had me looking at a lot of schematics the first time) Maybe show a close up of where the cocking lever presses in the button against the spring steel? And for me I use a small punch for the safety when removing the springs. And of course on the sled pins in the front and rear you don't have to worry about the amount of lube? You know me Joe I need to know how and why things work not just if I can get them back together.

P.S. Joe: I broke that last 300 down yesterday and its not the piston seal making it tight to lock after the cocking stroke? Looks like its in the cocking lever when it gets to the latching point? I may break down two at the same time to compare cocking levers?

Thanks Robert ! Yeah when I put it back together( it'll be a different gun because I'm also replacing seals ) I am gonna try and take it step by step like the disassemble video . I'll make sure and show the flat spring orientation when I put it back together , as well as how to compress the spring and use a pin as a safety while reassembly.
The hardest part for me when I started was remembering to set the orientation of the piston in the chamber before I put it together .

My tips:
  • Your iPad is perfectly adequate for this kind of video. The video would not be any more useful if you had a $4,000 SHD video camera and spent 40 hours editing in fancy special effects.
  • Continue to focus on content that can't be had from a 5 second google search of the specs. Your videos are supported by your experience, which was hard-won. 
  • While the iPad camera may have good enough resolution and sound, it's pretty hard to support, so that you can use your other hand.. If you get just a fairly basic digital camera, you can pair it with an inexpensive table top tripod and REALLY improve things. Or, find a good way to support the iPad! Maybe some cheap clamp with a tripod socket like you'd find on a "selfie set?" (they make 'em for phones; not sure about iPads...)
  • Cut out the dead spaces; you already did a better job of this than I did
  • Check out the YouTube editing tools. They're built into YouTube and pretty easy to use. Once you get the video uploaded, look for the edit button, then the 'enhancements button' which has trim features. When you're done with that, you can click the button for the advanced editing tool, which allows you to put multiple videos together. For example your Part 1 and 2 videos for bluing could easily be put together into one.
Most importantly, keep 'em coming! I'd like to see you take some backyard pests with your FWB300...

If you ever want to invest a bit more into it, HD digital camcorders are getting pretty cheap these days. My little JVC was $300 probably 8 years ago. They have bright lenses and long zooms, so you don't even need to zoom in through your scope for the pesting shots.

Really awesome videos Joe! I use a small tripod with an iphone/ipad (works for Android too obviously) mount for my videos. I've taken it to the gun range to film myself flinching while shooting my .44 mag revolver lol.
But just something cheap to hold your ipad and get the proper camera angle and position will aid you in your videos a great deal. They can be had for $20-$30 ($20 for the one pictured below) for a cheapo model, which is good enough for simple video jobs and will make a big difference.

And since you're using the ipad, I'd suggest playing around with iMovie (free on the App Store). Lots of easy to use options you'll probably have a lot of fun with while making your vids. You can always step up to bigger and better hardware and software later on.

~
Larry

You put good info into your videos, but they can be up to 15 minutes long on YouTube. After that they have other things to sign up for, like even longer ones. Anyway, I've use Movie Maker (NOT to be confused with Windows Movie Maker, they are different!) for windows for years & it still works in Win10. All kinds of effects, fades, captions, titles, etc. Music too. And so far as intros are concerned they can make a video look a bit more polished, & my intros never last more than 28-30 seconds. But I'm aware of the ones you mean! Now if I just wouldn't ramble so much...lol. I use a cheap Targus 5' tripod from Walmart that cost me all of 13 or 14 bucks with carry bag. I got a used, but vgc Canon Powershot SX500 from B & H Photo (HUGE camera store in Manhattan) for about $70. It shoots HD video, uses Extreme HD Pro memory cards, & saves sound in separate stereo files. The 64GB Extreme Pro memory card saves about 55 minutes of constant video & stereo sound in way better quality than regular cards...with little or no degradation when uploading/downloading. The whole rig, camera, tripod & Pro mem card cost me about 130 bucks out the door. The still photos with it are fantastic! True HD video too.
The Movie Maker program saves your videos in the format used on the site of your choice; YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Easy to use & edit with. You can use it for slide shows or video.

Thanks for all the nice comments and tips guys but I wanted to add something I should have added to my FWB posts long ago . There are two fellas in particular that I owe a big thank you for helping me get over my fear of tearing into one of these , an for their numerous tips and help .
AZ and PeteB . True gentlemen and either knows more about these rifles and skilled shooting than I EVER WILL !! I thank you both for ALL the tips and help you have both given me .
I can be a bit of a flake at times, and add in two years of nonstop surgeries and medication and hospital time and the brain slips and overlooks the obvious.
Without these guy help I never would have even THOUGHT about buying or working on a rifle like this . An definitely wouldn't have known where to start getting one to its potential.
We are blessed to have these kinda men in the sport :)