• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My first post and newbi disco shooter

Hey all,
I just purchased a discovery in .22, and today picked up a scuba tank and fill valve. My TKO is on order and the next step is to pick out some glass. I have limited experience with decent glass, and can't help to wonder if a 200 plus dollar scope will be more than my basic PCP is capable of?? I'm on a very limited budget, and have contemplated a center point from the mart, but don't want the illuminated reticule......ok so I want my cake and eat it to :)
Also, looking for pellet info from you that have dialed in other discovery's, so far I just have a tin of basic crossman HP's

So lets hear from opinions from you fine folks, I'm all ears!

Leapers scope's are affordable, have mildots, and have different ranges of magnification they are probably the best value for a budget scope; or you could also go with a Hawk Air-max.
As for pellets my Discovery is doing the best with JSB 18.1 grn pellets I've been able to get 2 hole groups at 25 yrds, but it also does a decent job with the Crosman HP's.
Have fun with your new PCP it's an awesome gun for the price!
Leo :)

I have the UTG 4-16x40 on the Discovery and I like it. For Discovery, any scope from 3-9, 4-16 with objective lens from 32-44 will be suitable. Don't forget to pick up some UTG mount rings (medium or hight) for your scope- reasonable price for a decent quality. 

For pellets, my Discovery like 14.66 H&N FTT or Beeman Kodiak FTS Copper Plated 14.72 but not every air rifle are the same. I suggests you to buy small amount of different brands to test their shot group or the .22 pellet sampler http://www.straightshooters.com/straight-shooters-full-pellet-sampler-.22.html for testing.

Have fun,
John

I Just posted this post in the accuracy section of the forum: http://airgunnation.dev/topic/if-you-give-a-disco-an-18-1g-jsb-its-going-to-want-to-shoot-lights-out/

As far as the glass goes. I was in the same dilemma...Spend the money now on a nice scope and transfer it to the next rifle, or get a "get by" scope and worry about a nice one later. I opted for the "get by" scope now and that is what I shot this group with. Center Point Wal-mart pickup for like $65 I think. It does have the IR but I just don't use it. I bought the JSB sample pellets and at first, the Straton took the cake, but after today...It's all about the .22 JSB 18.1g heavy's!

Wow, very good suggestions already Gents! It defiantly sounds like the JSB's are on the menu, and I wasn't aware of the samples that were available like that..good stuff.
I forgot I also found a tin of the crossman magnum's (like the HP's but just domed), and know that those worked the best in my Air Hawk, so we'll see.

Looks like I need to do some bargain shopping for glass....

Shanon

I agree with some of the previous posts utg Leapers are bargain for the quality pretty clear and hold zero as for pellets we can all tell u what works best in ours but all rifles are differant and u will need a "sampler" pack to determine what's best for your rifle before u go ordering ten pounds of lead I stock pile it once I do find out what's best jsb is always good place to start or deffinaty needs to be in the mix good luck 

Well guys, I couldn't stand it and had to shoot my new rig shroud-less and iron sights. Boy is she LOUD, and I'm glad the tko should be here soon :)
I't seemed to shoot tight groups, as I only had time for a dozen or so shots..and didn't measure but at 15 yards I had several touching. I'm pretty excited to find the right glass and start giving her a workout!

I did look at several suggested scopes you guys mentioned, and am leaning possibly toward the Hawk, and UTG.

I suggest the lowest dove tail rings your objective lens will allow. Adapters are just going to raise the height of your scope, which will make for a more difficult/less comfortable cheek weld. Also, the higher the scope is (center line of scope further away from centerline of barrel) the more you will have to adjust your point of aim at ranges beyond and before your optimum (zero) range. On my "go-to" springer I have the scope zeroed for 35 yards. I have noticed that my holdover changed (about one whole mil dot plus less) at 10 yards after changing the compression tube from a dove tail (which I used a UTG dove tail to weaver adapter on) to a fixed weaver mount (no more adapter plus rings, just rings...lowered the scope by almost a half inch). As mentioned by sushi2910, this not being a springer, it has almost zero recoil. A good set of dovetail rings will hold securely, allow for easier access to the loading tray than a one piece, and make it more adjustable forward and back for your eye relief and comfort. I use UTG low rings to mount my =smallUTG (30mm SWAT 3-12X44 compact scope F.S. IE Scope with AO Mil-dot, 36 Colors EZ-TAP), and it fits/feels quite nice.