My first post and first airgun

I wanted an airgun for a while now and after doing a lot of reading I decided to buy a Daystate Huntsman Revere in .22 cal. For my first airgun, after watching a video that member (Tominco) posted on the gun he gave me the info I needed to make my decision final. So far I am having a lot of fun bench rest shooting paper targets, and learning how to use the scope, hopefully I can get good enough to enter a competition. I enjoy all the helpful info on this forum, thank you.

IMG_4238.1639883581.JPG

IMG_4237.1639883624.JPG

IMG_4239.1639883664.JPG

IMG_4240.1639883696.JPG

@catman99 You picked a lovely looking first air rifle. I haven’t shot one but I’ve read good things about them. My impression is that Daystate is a solid brand and yours is a looker dressed with solid accessories from the 0db moderator, the Accu-Tac BR-4 bipod, to the Aztec scope. Welcome to AGN. I suspect you’ll spend more as you fall deeper into this hobby of ours. 

Thanks for the welcome, the one thing I'm enjoying most is how quiet a airgun is compared to shooting a real rifle, I was amazed how accurate these guns can be, putting pellets in the same hole at 50 yards, but when I moved out to 75 yards it started to open up, but I did not have a bipod yet, I was just shooting from a sandbag and I did not have a very comfortable set up or position. now I feel more comfortable after putting the cheek pad on it raised my eye perfectly aligned with the scope and it feels very comfortable on my cheek. Yes I think more money will be spent especially since I'm using a hand pump, but it only takes five minutes to fill.

Thanks for the welcome, the one thing I'm enjoying most is how quiet a airgun is compared to shooting a real rifle, I was amazed how accurate these guns can be, putting pellets in the same hole at 50 yards, but when I moved out to 75 yards it started to open up, but I did not have a bipod yet, I was just shooting from a sandbag and I did not have a very comfortable set up or position. now I feel more comfortable after putting the cheek pad on it raised my eye perfectly aligned with the scope and it feels very comfortable on my cheek. Yes I think more money will be spent especially since I'm using a hand pump, but it only takes five minutes to fill.

Well, anyone who says their groups DON'T open some at 75 yards is probably being a little creative with the truth. I have a .22 Revere also, and it's a great rifle. You have room for lower rings, which might preclude the need for the cheek piece. Congratulations, and enjoy!

Well, anyone who says their groups DON'T open some at 75 yards is probably being a little creative with the truth. I have a .22 Revere also, and it's a great rifle. You have room for lower rings, which might preclude the need for the cheek piece. Congratulations, and enjoy!

They sold me Sportsmatch HT071 Extra High mounts because they said I need room for the magazine, do they make mounts that are lower that will still accommodate a magazine, or do you mean use lower mounts and just use the hand feed.

Excellent choice for a first airgun, it is amazing how accurate they are. Welcome to AGN. Do you have a tail bag as well as a front bag? If not definitely try a tail bag and it will help make the rifle steadier. Be sure to post bragging groups lol!

In the third picture I have a bag made by Caldwell, is that considered a tail bag or is that something different than what you're referring to, thanks for answering the newbie questions. :)

😂😂😂 I got a good laugh out of that comment. Thank you. 

Congrats on the rifle @Catman99 ! You're off to a great start! 

Try sliding that bipod mount forward and see if your groups improve. The farther forward you can get it, the better. Check out "bipodext" for a more detailed explanation on why this works. Basically, the further forward you can get your bipod, the more it suppresses any movements on the back end. 

Got your PM. 👍🏻

Tom 

They sold me Sportsmatch HT071 Extra High mounts because they said I need room for the magazine, do they make mounts that are lower that will still accommodate a magazine, or do you mean use lower mounts and just use the hand feed.

Yes, several, either a lower Sportsmatch, BKL, maybe FX. Insert your mag and measure the clearance, then go the specs for various scopes and see what works. They don't all measure the same way, some from base to centerline of scope, some to the bottom of the scope, so you have to do some measuring.