My First Pesting Opportunity. Advice Needed

I haven’t done any pesting other than trying to catch varmints ravaging my garden’s melon patch one year and I was unsuccessful. Watching various members’ pesting videos piqued my interest and I think I’d like to try my hand at it. While working with a ranch owner today I noticed some foundational issues beneath the concrete in his pigpen (yes he has stalls for prize pigs that once resided there.) I could see where runoff eroded a path from beneath the broken concrete to a creek or pond behind it. As I walked around the barn I noticed where medium sized burrowing animals dug entrances to what appeared to possibly be a den beneath the barn. I told him about it and he informed me that armadillos have been an issue around his barn in the past. This is Texas so that’s nothing unusual. For those of you that don’t know, armadillos are nocturnal and notorious diggers in these parts. When they leave you know they were there whether eating or burrowing. Anyhow, I told him that I may be able to take care of a few of them if he didn’t mind me coming and camping out overnight a few nights. His response was basically “have at it.” What was great about it was he’d asked me about my airguns earlier in the conversation. 

My thing is since I’ve never done this, what preparation advice and tips can those of you who do regular pesting provide that may be helpful? I’m thinking of putting my .25 Brocock Bantam Sniper to work on this. I have options of how I can set up as far as where I can situate myself to shoot. There are a couple sheds I can sit behind or on the side of. I was thinking of positioning myself so that I’m shooting towards the creek/pond in the woods. Aside from that, I’m not sure what other things I should be thinking about. Advice from experienced pesters is definitely welcome. 

Blow their brains out! The cuter they are, the more they deserve to die... especially those herpes monkeys in Florida. I tend to describe anything I want to hunt and kill as pests. Siberian Tiger? Pest. Gorilla? Pest. Elephant? Pest. 

A man has got to eat too, so when I hunt to eat I describe them as "my din-din" or "yummy." 

Hope that helps.

@markT, there is nothing innocent about pesting as it means animals will be getting killed. Why so negative? Most strive for humane kills, yes, sometimes there are misplaced shots. There are many variables while afield. To the OP sounds like you have it covered. You'll definitely evolve your own technique as you do it more and actually pattern the critters you're after.

Blow their brains out! The cuter they are, the more they deserve to die... especially those herpes monkeys in Florida. I tend to describe anything I want to hunt and kill as pests. Siberian Tiger? Pest. Gorilla? Pest. Elephant? Pest. 

A man has got to eat too, so when I hunt to eat I describe them as "my din-din" or "yummy." 

Hope that helps.

😂 HILARIOUS

@markT, there is nothing innocent about pesting as it means animals will be getting killed. Why so negative? Most strive for humane kills, yes, sometimes there are misplaced shots. There are many variables while afield. To the OP sounds like you have it covered. You'll definitely evolve your own technique as you do it more and actually pattern the critters you're after.

+1 

Get a good blind and lighting is always an issue too. Get a good night scope.

armidillys huh ... i used to bonsai them during the day .. they generally hang out in drier areas with lots of brush and shade but not too overgrown, they like to root around in the dirt in tight places like that .. doing it like that most shots are real close, and i mean like 15 20 feet or less .. i imagine you 'could' spot them at a distance, but yeah .. i would suggest looking around on foot .. they dont spook easy until you get after um lol, then theyre surprisingly fast lol ...a red dot on something short would probably be most effective ..

armidillys huh ... i used to bonsai them during the day .. they generally hang out in drier areas with lots of brush and shade but not too overgrown, they like to root around in the dirt in tight places like that .. doing it like that most shots are real close, and i mean like 15 20 feet or less .. i imagine you 'could' spot them at a distance, but yeah .. i would suggest looking around on foot .. they dont spook easy until you get after um lol, then theyre surprisingly fast lol ...a red dot on something short would probably be most effective ..

See I just don't agree...better to be even closer and more intimate. Say, ninja knife attack? Sure leprosy and all, but worth it for the lolz when the armadillos get the surprise of their short cute little lives. Nothing says surprise more than an intimate kill.

"Pesting?" Sounds so innocent doesn't it? Ever watch an animal twitch and struggle as it slowly dies with a misplaced shot?

Glorifying the killing of animals with words..

If I understand your post, you are wanting to kill animals that are deemed "pests." 

Have fun.

What’s the difference between this and your post on “pigeon killing this is fantastic”? Don’t see any difference there ...

Now when I kill something with an airgun all of the the corpses never go to waste. I used to cook and eat doves at one point they were like the size of chicken nuggets. Had a freezer full of birds. The cats got really fluffy furry too. They would watch towards the direction where I was shooting and fetch them. Used to be the neighbors cats. They knew it was chow time whenever they saw an airgun brought outside.

We’re used to them visiting and digging into lawns and pastures looking for food. That’s one thing, but wait until I show y’all pics of the damage done to these folks’ concrete if can get permission to post pics of the damaged areas. I was shocked. I’d done some work for them some years back and it looks like a sink hole developed beneath this area. If burrowing and water did this, then I’d have probably cherry bombed the little bastards. He showed me other areas they’d burrowed in the past beneath concrete and they can really dig down in the dirt. The concrete didn’t colapse in the other spot he pointed out. It just looked like some mini elf miners went to work on the spot.

One thing that would be koooool...film it. And maybe the leprosy threat will make it more real life drama. Play with the editing and do some makeup work on your arm and make it look mid film like you got the disease. One second shooting, next half zombie, and then be like nope jk and here is how I actually killed it, then show yourself ninja attack and stab or cut or whatever ninjas do that animal to death. Then shoot it with an airgun in the head for good measure. Final shot of the film should be you eating soup. Bam, Academy Awards here we come

Get some motion sensors from Harbor freight. I bought three and all three are different codes so one sensor doesn't activate more than one receiver. When I am having problems with raccoons visiting our patio and causing havoc I simple set one out there on a cat litter can facing the sky. I put some peanut butter and a couple of marshmallows on top of the litter can. When bandit shows up the sensor wakes me and I put a pellet through his brain. By putting the sensor on the litter can facing up the stray cats won't set it off when walking by. If you need a little light you can always place one of the freebie lights from HF to aid in the shot.

Get some motion sensors from Harbor freight. I bought three and all three are different codes so one sensor doesn't activate more than one receiver. When I am having problems with raccoons visiting our patio and causing havoc I simple set one out there on a cat litter can facing the sky. I put some peanut butter and a couple of marshmallows on top of the litter can. When bandit shows up the sensor wakes me and I put a pellet through his brain. By putting the sensor on the litter can facing up the stray cats won't set it off when walking by. If you need a little light you can always place one of the freebie lights from HF to aid in the shot.

This is good or put a trail camera up to see what time they are moving. 

For starters you should get a NV scope or you could illuminate their burrow entrance with red/green light. Head shot is the best shot. After you kill it, handle with gloves because they are known to carry leprosy

@legionair and @ranchibi I’ll post pics of the rig I chose to put together once I formulate and solidify my plan. I think I’ll have a better idea of what I’ll want to use once I determine how and where I’m going situate my setup. Once I’m cleared to capture images on the property and I obtain footage, I’m posting something for the community. I told a Benjamin Bulldog aficionado and he was like “put that bulldog on ‘em.” That was his response before I had the chance to even mention the Brocock, If I do use the Bulldog, I’ll have to spring for a moderator to keep the report down. It can get pretty quiet in these parts at late at night. Either way, an armadillo won’t stand a chance against the Bulldog.