• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My first pcp air leak

Dwale

May 12, 2017
NV
Hello,

My Hatsan carnivore has developed a slow leak. From what I've found online, I think the issue is most likely dust or grime in the fill valve (I use a hand pump). This is my first PCP and I haven't even finished paying it off yet...

But as much as I would like to get in there for cleaning/checking the O rings, I can't. I watched a video (this one: 
) and I'm assuming the process should be similar for mine. But I just can't seem to get it open. I used a vice with some foam rubber for padding, but the whole reservoir always turns before the valve assembly does. 

My questions are these: Is there anything else I can try to help get into the air reservoir? And are there any steps I can take to avoid developing a similar leak in the future?

Thank you. 

from a hw100 experience i can tell you that you have to grab it away from the threads or it will not come undone. Also make absolutely sure there is no air left inside the cylinder. it will make it also impossible to open (and very dangerous if you succeded LOL)
if you can press in the valve stem with finger, thats fine then.

apart from that, you have to just try harder. from the looks of the video that barbar is sticking knife into sensitive parts/ports of an airgun i would be extremely cautios following internet videos. fill port leaks are common, try to avoid moisture and any dust debris getting in there.

"sirk"from a hw100 experience i can tell you that you have to grab it away from the threads or it will not come undone. Also make absolutely sure there is no air left inside the cylinder. it will make it also impossible to open (and very dangerous if you succeded LOL)
if you can press in the valve stem with finger, thats fine then.

apart from that, you have to just try harder. from the looks of the video that barbar is sticking knife into sensitive parts/ports of an airgun i would be extremely cautios following internet videos. fill port leaks are common, try to avoid moisture and any dust debris getting in there.
Yes, I emptied the reservoir completely before attempting. 

Moisture shouldn't be an issue since I live in the middle of the desert. I keep my Hatsan wrapped in a sheet when not in use to keep dust off of it. 

once you get it apart, you will find out what cause it leaking good luck with that. similar design other pcp was difficult to crack open, over there the trick was to avoid clamping the threads what you cant see. make sure you clamp the middle not close to the end

next time it will be easy to go in.

it is a bit risky but maybe you can wrap it into newspapers or something like rubber elastic excercise band and clamp it harder, or fine 1200 grit sandpaper. as i said risking damage have you a tight a long lever in that fill hole right? maybe you can shortly heat it up gently. no more suggestions. maybe it needs a hit with a spanner instead of slow force to get it going. are you turning it the right way round LOL

The valve on my Hatsan Gladius air cylinder was held in place by Loctite. What I eventually did was spray some WD40 between the valve and cylinder and let it seep in for an hour. I twisted open the valve even though like your situation the cylinder kept rotating as I tried loosening the valve. You just have to gradually tighten the hold on the cylinder and keep twisting the valve untill the Loctite breaks loose. You could also try heating the end with a hair dryer without the WD40 of course since it might ignite.