• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My first night time rat!

Finally got my first night time rat! Stalked this guy for 3 days, but finally got it 1am this morning. Here is the long version of the story:

3 weeks ago I trimmed the lower portion of my hedge so I can see the ground for cleanliness and to fix drip system if needed. I noticed some of the hedges’s fruit on the ground with rodent teeth marks. Right away I put out some traps but nothing for weeks. 4 days ago I notice a hole under my wooden fence and rats immediately came to mind, I absolutely hate those things! I mounted an Amazon security camera right above the hole, the very afternoon in broad daylight I got an alert! I ran over to grab my 1701 pistol and sneaked around my rose bush and to my shock I saw 2 rats!!! With great excitement I put my red dot right on the vital and squeezed trigger. Think I hit a little low but I heard a loud thud/pop followed by rat squill so definitely a good hit. But they were right next tot he hole under the fence and both ran off. Bummed I couldn’t retrieve it for a picture but I’m certain it will no longer invade my yard. 

Of course there is 1 still alive but it became very skittish. For the next 3 days it did not show up during the day and when it did show up at night any noise it would dive into the hole. I decided to leave a tripod with my dreamtac compact mounted pointed at the hole at around 15 yards so it’s ready to go but it still doesn’t stick around long enough to get a Cross hair in it. Stayed up again last night, got an alarm at 11pm and quietly sneak over to my pre-staged battle station. Finally saw it in my scope for the first time in 3 days! But as I slowly cock the gun the click of the mag alerted it and off it went again! Annoyed I went back to watching YouTube and wait, just as I settle in my bed to go sleep around 1 am the alarm went off. I jumped out of the bed and quietly sneak to my battle station again, this time I took the mag out and left a pellet in the chamber so when I cock the gun the mag won’t click again. Just as I was lining up the shot it went back under the fence again, must of heard me again! 
5B248FD6-1E3A-410D-A48A-CD3F807A32C3.1621108578.jpeg

However I left few pieces of peanuts and dried fruit and I did see it eating the dry fruit before it heard me, decided to wait 5 minutes for it with my crosshairs on the hole and hand on the grip. Sure enough 2-3 minutes later it carefully poked its head out the of the hole. This time I could not be more ready with the gun already cocked and crosshair on its head! As soon as it settled a little I squeezed the trigger and a 7.9 grain CPHP zipped right through its neck at 520 FPS, few kicks later it was done! 

Here is the video clip of its last moment I managed to captured on my security camera:

download.png

finally got my first night time rat and it was far more difficult than I ever thought! Crafty and worthy adversaries they are! Hope I don’t have too many of them!😂 Sadly because of the close distance the focus was terrible so no scope footage. Next time when I have to do this again I’ll mount the ATN on the dreamtac compact. 
2E77DE68-B315-4528-B8F5-926E33A54415.1621108770.jpeg

Mr. qball,

Congratulations on a job well done, excellent write-up and pics.

I have been staying out at night near my logs and firewood stacks for several years now. Occasionally get lucky and score a rat. I do enjoy just being out at night as a lot of critters make their presence known at my place. I have a semi secluded shooting hide that I can see a lot of area, I stay as quiet as possible and it is fun for a crazy old guy to see how close some of the animals get to me before they spook. I only shoot rats during my nighttime outings, and I put them on a tree stump for what ever is hungry. I record a lot of video with a trail cam, some surprising visitors show up for the rats.... bobcats, opossums, horned owls, fox and best of all a mountain lion.

There are some very expert pesters on this forum and they always continue to amaze me with all the electronic equipment they use, just as you have your Amazon security alarm system. I am techno impaired and don't even have a cell phone (no cell service here anyway), one of my sons may teach me how to post a video someday, I do have hundreds, maybe better if they don't!!!

Good luck with your pesting, stay healthy and safe

Arrowhead1951 

Thanks Everyone! 

@bambuino: this rat has also tripped my rat trap without getting caught and won't get any where near the traps again. Great job getting those 2 rats, they are difficult to hunt for sure. 

@L.Leon: Tell me about it! Who knew a grown ass middle aged man would stay up for many nights just to hunt one small rodent. 😂

@Arrowhead1951: Totally agree, it is very bueatiful out out at night now that it's not winter anymore! The electronics really helps with keeping an eye out for bushy tails and other varmints. I've also seen many interesting creatures in my little suburban yard. Got the normal cats, possums, skunks and racoons but the most shocking to me was a pair of grey fox, I would of never guessed grey foxes would roam freely and jump over 6 feet fences through suburban back yards! Of course just about all of them get a free pass except if the coons decide to linger too long and make a mess. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0816RV4BF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0816RV4BF&pd_rd_w=m11sK&pf_rd_p=7771f1a2-d77a-4098-a19e-6d9a1e65f44d&pd_rd_wg=DsEJR&pf_rd_r=FNVFZY9HCMEBP4GDK10C&pd_rd_r=dc80fbf3-33ec-44db-a7f0-b3e01b683e47&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTTVIQlZBTFRCUEhIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTIyNzI4VFU4V0FSV1dBSUw1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NTUzNDUzNERJMFdJMDhIUVdWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

super cheap but you need to add a cheap micro SD card so it can record for later viewing. Battery lasts a very long time and just follow the instruction which will walk you through setting them up with your WiFi and the free app. After that you will get alert anywhere, even in the grocery store! Assuming you have internet service. Recording is local aka free and can be viewed anywhere any time even at your grocery store across the country. Keep in mind the alert on your phone or tablet will have a little delay, you can even share the camera with your friends so they can watch if rats are getting into your coop.

I have 3 of them in my yard and very handy. Have enough of them you can have your very own poor man’s video video surveillance system that would rival your local Walmart for fraction of the cost! They even sell solar panels for them so you won’t ever have to charge them, assuming they aren’t in the shade all the time. 

Thanks Everyone! 

@L.Leon: Tell me about it! Who knew a grown ass middle aged man would stay up for many nights just to hunt one small rodent
1f602.svg

@qball
1f605.svg
Those of us who love airguns and have skittish women. Nice work! Did you block the hole?

I haven’t! One, I hope there is more of them and two the hole is actually in a great location for shooting so I hope if there are more they will use the same hole and not dig a new hole in an inconvenient location.😆