• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My First Forray Into Hunter FT (My New Rig)

Congrats on the new TM1000. The only downside is if you don’t score well you can’t blame it on the gun. 

you know, I’ve been struggling with that very subject. However I came to the conclusion that I am a big boy now so I don’t need no stinking excuses! 
4B0EB886-17DD-407E-B82D-C17A255C81E9.1646193711.jpeg

I took my TM1000 to Minor Hill, TN today and left it with Martin. We talked a bit about this and that. Most interesting to me, was he told me my TM1000 was originally built to be a 17 FPE rifle. Like 17 is my favorite number and stuff... no really. Anyway, he said he will give the rifle a complete disassembly and clean, update the regulator, and replace any worn parts as needed. I should get her back in 7-10 days.

As of right now, I am going with the Optisan Viper in 8-32X60 as scope of choice for Hunter this season.

Intrigued; I originally gave up on the Akela when I researched and found there were A LOT of mod ideas coming out to fix what is wrong with the rifle... Springs changes, regulators and barrel polishing etc. A little more than I wanted to do to get going in Hunter.

However, you have intrigued me to at least give the platform a go, since my TM1000 is still in the capable hands of Martin Rutherford at Airguns USA and getting a complete rebuild. As I have the rifle set up now, it is quite comfortable to shoulder with the SWFA 16X powr scope and cantilever scope mount (also SWFA). I will need to adjust the power knob so that the rifle will shoot as close to 17fpe as possible, and see what my shot count will be with either JSB or Crosman 10.34 and 10.5gr pellets.

I just recently purchased and installed a friction fit barrel band, printed with carbon fiber filled filament. Simple little band, cost about $18 on ebay. It helped to remove the barrel droop, and since it is friction fit only, there is still a little bit of movement to allow the barrel to flex when fired... The accuracy portion of this effort should be fun.

I have two of the Gamo squirrels, so I will set them out and shoot them from various distances, maybe even work on a little bracketing. The wind from so many storms happening week after week, have kept me indoors, so I hope there is change on the horizon.

Quick update; My TM1000 is ready to be picked up, as Martin at Airguns USA, completely maintenanced the rifle, updating ther regulator and possibly rebuilding the valve.

Not completely forgetting the original platform, the Benjamin Akela, based on EvilTwinV2's response, I have decided to massage the internals of the rifle and see if I can make it a more reliable platform for Hunter FT. I have ordered a variety of springs, and a Huma regulator for the effort... should be some fun tuning this rifle.

Nice looking rifle. Did Martin put that shroud on or is that an AZ shroud?

Chas

The rifle was originally ordered in 2013 with the shroud option. It is actually kind of a floating shroud, as the carbon sleeve free-spins bewteen the two ends. Martin says it keeps the barrel in an non-binding free float form. He updated the regulator and rebuilt the valve, and it is ready to go, except for zeroing and wheel marking of yardages.

As stated a couple posts back, I have decided to work with the Akela a bit to see if the platform would perform well as a Hunter FT rig. The TM1000 will be my preferred, but I am still intrigued enough to work with the bullpup platform. I have a Huma reg (set to 130 BAR) and a slew of springs to test as replacements for the factory installed hammer spring, which many have reported as being ober-sprung from the factory.

So covid happened, and it was kinda rough, so I did not get any work done on the Akela till just this past weekend. I completely disassembled the rifle, and went back with the Huma Regulator. I also chose the spring that measures 2.520" long, with the .050 wire diameter. Full counter clock-wise on the hammer spring I averaged 811 fps. Full clock-wise on the hammer spring I averaged 872 fps (17.72 FPE). All checked using 10.5gr Crosman domes.

Cocking effort was non-existant with this spring. Since the Huma was installed without the machining that Huma stated was the best way to install (allowing the reg to breathe), I got best results if I allowed the regulator to eaqualize for 10 to 15 seconds between shots.

Total shot count and accuracy still needs to be evaluated.

I had a RAW TM1000 identical to this and used it for FT. I found that the full length shrould had thermal problems. As the day warmed up, the barrel and the shroud expanded at different rates causing a shift in the POI. I replaced the full length shroud with a carbon fiber sleeve and a separate moderator. Problem gone. This is a super rifle. What a treasure to find in a gun shop.