• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My First Day of Retirement

Semi retired for year and a half and not hoping much anybody to call me back to office. Never been busier in my life...finished the basement last summer and moving-cleaning-washing-tosing-organizing things around a house the entire day, I go for an hour walk counting steps every day. Waiting for madam to retire in next 5-6 years and finally we could move away somewhere countryside.

I had a rough day of being retired these past couple of days. I’m on the tail end of finishing up sorting pellets for both head size, weight. Then lube and label the organized batches:

1. (900) 30 cal 44.75
2. (900) 25 cal MK2 Heavy’s
3. (1600) 22 cal MRD’s

If my wife, who still works, hears me biatch, she’ll look at me and say “really? You’re complaining over a hobby?”

She’s always been the equalizer in the marriage, ha ha.

AB47AF06-2CA1-47D4-952D-A7DFDEFC9E86.jpeg
11F4CED3-22CC-4F43-9A28-F2801BFAC852.jpeg

Looking at what’s involved with this sorting stuff, there’s no way I would’ve had the time or probably the desire to do this when I was still a slave to the 9-5 workday.

To SPIRALGROOVE- how about telling us all on your thread how this past week of freedom has been? Probably still thinking you’re in a dream, yeah?

Semi retired for year and a half and not hoping much anybody to call me back to office. Never been busier in my life...finished the basement last summer and moving-cleaning-washing-tosing-organizing things around a house the entire day, I go for an hour walk counting steps every day. Waiting for madam to retire in next 5-6 years and finally we could move away somewhere countryside.
Yeah, even though I may have a long Honey-Do list, I really like making and fixing things - Not boring at all to me.
I need to start exercising to keep the machine running - no time for TV.

I had a rough day of being retired these past couple of days. I’m on the tail end of finishing up sorting pellets for both head size, weight. Then lube and label the organized batches:

1. (900) 30 cal 44.75
2. (900) 25 cal MK2 Heavy’s
3. (1600) 22 cal MRD’s

If my wife, who still works, hears me biatch, she’ll look at me and say “really? You’re complaining over a hobby?”

She’s always been the equalizer in the marriage, ha ha.

View attachment 332779View attachment 332780
Looking at what’s involved with this sorting stuff, there’s no way I would’ve had the time or probably the desire to do this when I was still a slave to the 9-5 workday.

To SPIRALGROOVE- how about telling us all on your thread how this past week of freedom has been? Probably still thinking you’re in a dream, yeah?
Yeah, enjoying the dream even though it seems a little surreal.

Been sorting pellets this week:
After shooting last Summer with the RAW at 50 & 100 yards, head size didn't seem to matter (within reason) as much as pellet weight.
When I sort my JSB 18.1, 25.39's or 33.95's, most pellets are just two head sizes (.01 apart). Now just sorting by weight.

Shot some (.25 cal) 33.95 and noticed a 1.3 grain difference lead to a 25 fps difference over the crony. Trying to determine realistic weight ranges for different pellets to keep ES around 10 fps. Right now sorting by .10 differences, but hope to go to .20 or higher for simplicity - if can reasonably expect a 10 fps ES.

I know, the lighter the pellet, the tighter the range will need to be because of the different masses.

All this assumes my regulator is constant - which is not realistic, but ......

Last edited:
Yeah, enjoying the dream even though it seems a little surreal.

Been sorting pellets this week:
After shooting last Summer with the RAW at 50 & 100 yards, head size didn't seem to matter (within reason) as much as pellet weight.
When I sort my JSB 18.1, 25.39's or 33.95's, most pellets are just two head sizes (.01 apart). Now just sorting by weight.

Shot some (.25 cal) 33.95 and noticed a 1.3 grain difference lead to a 25 fps difference over the crony. Trying to determine realistic weight ranges for different pellets to keep ES around 10 fps. Right now sorting by .10 differences, but hope to go to .20 or higher for simplicity - if can reasonably expect a 10 fps ES.

I know, the lighter the pellet, the tighter the range will need to be because of the different masses.

All this assumes my regulator is constant - which is not realistic, but ......
Already sounds like you’ve got the worries of a retired man, lol. Worrying if the reg stays constant vs the worry of being ready for the Monday morning company meeting, ha ha! Good on you!

Did the same thing in '17, plant closing combined with health issues...and an understanding wife with a good job let me hang up my tool box for good...don't miss work at all...retirement was like waking up from a 44 year nightmare...was easy to forget and get used to doing my own thing...when the wife said I could...lol. Enjoy your success from a job well done!!
I though I had enough pellets stashed away for the rest of life but considering all the time to shoot lately...I'm not too sure now! Notice the smile!!!View attachment 332187View attachment 332188
Plenty of time to mow our 10 AC.
Zero turn , what a blast to drive i actually take it as fun to mow .

Reactions: RM100GUY
Yeah, ...Not boring at all to me....I need to start exercising to keep the machine running - no time for TV.
Cut the cable and you will see how much changed the perspective ;)
I did it back in 2007 when my kids were growing up with watching some so stupid cartoons ... it was hard for a day or two but the life is much smoother since, especially nowadays with all these woke thingies.

Reactions: allinssd
Congratulations! I retired myself a bit over a year ago, and the amazing thing to me is how much LESS time I spend shooting than I did before I retired. I used to shoot everyday, and now nowhere near as much. It turns out that shooting was for stress release, and now I have much less stress - so less shooting! ;)

I still enjoy airguns as one of my main hobbies, but the way I use the time I focus on it sure has changed . . .

Reactions: allinssd
Congratulations! I retired myself a bit over a year ago, and the amazing thing to me is how much LESS time I spend shooting than I did before I retired. I used to shoot everyday, and now nowhere near as much. It turns out that shooting was for stress release, and now I have much less stress - so less shooting! ;)

I still enjoy airguns as one of my main hobbies, but the way I use the time I focus on it sure has changed . . .

Must be nice, when I retired my shooting went through the roof! Burning through 3-5k rounds a week and I don't even compete, and that was on top of shooting air rifles at the house!