My first black squirrel!

I was in the middle of re-tuning my 25 caliber FX Maverick when I heard my bird feeder being raided. I turned and looked, surprised to see my very first black squirrel. Unfortunately for Mr. Squirrel I don't take kindly to them destroying my feeders. Typically hades are my go-to small game pellet but since I was in the middle of tuning, my mag was loaded with FX 34's. He took one to the dome at about 30yds, complete pass-through of course.

20220929_180438.jpg

I was in the middle of re-tuning my 25 caliber FX Maverick when I heard my bird feeder being raided. I turned and looked, surprised to see my very first black squirrel. Unfortunately for Mr. Squirrel I don't take kindly to them destroying my feeders. Typically hades are my go-to small game pellet but since I was in the middle of tuning, my mag was loaded with FX 34's. He took one to the dome at about 30yds, complete pass-through of course.

View attachment 293564
Congrats on getting that little hooligan out of your bird feeder. I have a fair number of them chewing up my coaxio cable that runs from the street to my home for Internet. Every few years the cable company has to come out and replace the line. I just might take this approach to my problem. How do you like your Maverick? I'm looking into picking one up myself soon.

Funi lusa osh mahlatah!

You saved the sun from an eclipse, according to The Choctaw, except they would just yell and scream at the tree rat until it was probably so confused it just wanted to leave. ‘Funi lusa osh mahlatah’ was sung triumphantly after the black squirrel was dispersed. By yelling at the moon at the start of an eclipse, it was believed the squirrel would be frightened and not eat the Sun.

Congrats on getting that little hooligan out of your bird feeder. I have a fair number of them chewing up my coaxio cable that runs from the street to my home for Internet. Every few years the cable company has to come out and replace the line. I just might take this approach to my problem. How do you like your Maverick? I'm looking into picking one up myself soon.

I LOVE the Maverick. It was originally a 600mm 22 caliber. It shot amazing, hole in hole all day long with many different projectiles. But I wanted more knock down power for the big racoons and groundhogs I deal with around here. I recently picked up a 600mm 25 caliber barrel kit and 11g hammer and now it can make 70+ftlbs with ease. I'm still working on getting the tune perfect, but it's shooting very good as is. I do miss the shot count of the 22 at times, but that was the sacrifice I made moving up in power. It's already proven itself on a couple big racoons too ;)

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I LOVE the Maverick. It was originally a 600mm 22 caliber. It shot amazing, hole in hole all day long with many different projectiles. But I wanted more knock down power for the big racoons and groundhogs I deal with around here. I recently picked up a 600mm 25 caliber barrel kit and 11g hammer and now it can make 70+ftlbs with ease. I'm still working on getting the tune perfect, but it's shooting very good as is. I do miss the shot count of the 22 at times, but that was the sacrifice I made moving up in power. It's already proven itself on a couple big racoons too ;)
Sweet man, how hard is it to tune? I've probably already seen every turning video FX put out on it. But that's not working knowledge, I have the time but might not have the mind. Lol getting old seems to take longer to get my head around things now days. 😅

Sweet man, how hard is it to tune? I've probably already seen every turning video FX put out on it. But that's not working knowledge, I have the time but might not have the mind. Lol getting old seems to take longer to get my head around things now days. 😅
It's not that hard actually, if I can do it then anyone can! It's really straight forward and with video guidance your golden!

Nice clean kill man! Congrats!
Had to send my air rifle for a small repair, and ofc Instanly racoons started going thorugh my trash cans making a mess. So on the way home grabbed some 380 ammo from https://gritrsports.com/shooting/ammunition/handgun-ammo/380-auto-ammo/ for my Hi-point. It's a bit of overkill for racoons, but didn't really have any other option...

Last edited:
Like already mentioned, tuning isn't that difficult. Just takes some trial and error to get perfect. Unfortunately for me there isn't much guidance out there for tuning the 600mm barrel, compared to the more popular 700 and 500mm offerings. It would be very easy to get it tuned perfectly for one specific projectile, but like I said I like to shoot both heavy and light pellets. That's one of the reasons I love the Maverick since it has the rotating power wheel.

Like already mentioned, tuning isn't that difficult. Just takes some trial and error to get perfect. Unfortunately for me there isn't much guidance out there for tuning the 600mm barrel, compared to the more popular 700 and 500mm offerings. It would be very easy to get it tuned perfectly for one specific projectile, but like I said I like to shoot both heavy and light pellets. That's one of the reasons I love the Maverick since it has the rotating power wheel.
Understood, thanks for your feedback 👍