My first attempt at filling a 60 minute Scott SCBA with Yong Heng...

I started up my new Yong Heng compressor and let it run for about 10 minutes under no load conditions. I have added a 800GPH pond pump and the water flow is well brisk compared to the stock pump, so I think I am good here. My initial run was for approx. 15 minutes and the compressor seemed fine. The pressure only got to about 1K PSI for this initial run. I started it again after about a 4 hour cooling off period, with water pump still running while compressor was off.

2nd time again for approx. 15 minutes I got up to approx. 1.5K PSI. Seemed like it should have filled more than this, but all seems to be running OK. 3rd start and again for approx. 15 minutes I am only upto about 2.2-2.3K PSI. Does this seem normal from a dead empty tank after approx. 45 minutes? I have never filled a big tank before so I have zero point of reference.

I personally would have tried to get my first fill done somewhere just to save time on my compressor. but if the situation was not possible then I guess that 45 min is not too bad from empty. I usually fill my 60 min tank up once it gets down to 3000 psi and it usually takes my yong heng about 23-25 min from 3000 to 4500.so my guess is you have about another 25 min to go to get to the 4500 mark. I use a spray bottle and some soapy water to spray around on all the fitting while my tank is filling . I have had several times where things are not filling as fast as normal and it usually a small leak at one of the fittings . things have a way of working them selves loose on these compressors . I usually top off both of my tanks the same day I run the 60 min first once it's done I let the compressor sit for 15 min or so to cool off then put the 45 min one on there and top it off usually about 20 min or so to fill the smaller one . then I change the oil while it's still warm ( it seems to flow out a lot better that way) fill the oil back up and put it away till next week .

dan 

it is a good practice every 5 minutes or so of runtime to crack open the bleed valves on both sides to let moisture out. I also have a few 2 gallon plastic buckets I use to make giant ice cubes to keep my water cool, if you drill a small hole in one ice block to insert your return water pipe, it works even better.

Thanks for the tip. Always looking for ways to hopefully extend the life of this compressor!

yep, probably a small leak. Most likely one of the hose fittings. I would also recommend getting a can of CRC leak detector. It works great and does not leave a mess. One can will last for years most likely. Good for your guns too, will not cause rust like soapy water. I have had my first Yong Heng for a few weeks, and started out just like you, with leaks, and they were all on the hose connectors. I would also recommend getting a one way valve if your filling tanks. You do not need a one way valve if your filling guns directly. The Yong Heng should only take a minute or two to build up pressure depending on how large your filter is. Good luck.

CRC Leak detector -- https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Aerosol-Leak-Detector-18/dp/B00BPMCH1C

I NEVER run my tanks completely empty & use my YH for "topping off" only. Have no problem filling them to 4200 or 4300 psi & knew that when I got it I would "baby" it as much as possible. Can't expect an inexpensive compressor like YH to work like the big industrial ones so give it as much TLC as you can.

The tank was empty when I purchased it. Can't ship a CF cylinder under pressure. I hopefully will not have to completely fill it again only top it off from time to time.

yep, probably a small leak. Most likely one of the hose fittings. I would also recommend getting a can of CRC leak detector. It works great and does not leave a mess. One can will last for years most likely. Good for your guns too, will not cause rust like soapy water. I have had my first Yong Heng for a few weeks, and started out just like you, with leaks, and they were all on the hose connectors. I would also recommend getting a one way valve if your filling tanks. You do not need a one way valve if your filling guns directly. The Yong Heng should only take a minute or two to build up pressure depending on how large your filter is. Good luck.

CRC Leak detector -- https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Aerosol-Leak-Detector-18/dp/B00BPMCH1C

Thanks Mike. I have some gas detector spray somewhere in my garage...... I will check that first thing this evening.

It took me four or five sessions to fill my Great White tank. I did not time the sessions but watched the temperature when it hit 65C I shut it down and waited 15 minutes before starting again. Not sure if you have a small leak or not but it does take awhile to fill the larger tanks. I only have two gallons in my coolant bucket so use a half gallon milk containers of ice to cool the thing down. It will usually run 15-20 minutes before getting near 65C degrees which is more than enough time to top the tank up from 3000psi to 4100psi.

As posted above make sure to purge the moisture from the compressor every five or so minutes. 

Change the small Yong Heng filter element out every twenty minutes or so and set it out to dry and use next time. 

To avoid overheating your YH it's also a good idea to use a switched outlet strip or box, that will handle the load, so when it is turned on the pump runs before the compressor is switched on.

Keeping your tanks and guns above your compressor will help keep moisture out of them.

See that your filters are set up in a vertical position.

Edit; See that your water supply is near level with your compressor.

Two things I would suggest to YH users. Have the water return above water surface and visible. That way you can see with a glance that water is flowing. Some type of inline flow indicator can do the same thing but is an additional plumbing connection. And a ducted fan (floor drying fan or whatever they may be called) blowing on the heads removes a lot of heat from the system. I have one made by Stanley about the size of a basketball and, along with crushed ice in the reservoir, mine would maintain upper 40's for runs as long as needed if the ice was replenished as it melted. Stopping to allow cooling is probably good but I found it wasn't necessary as the crushed ice and external fan would maintain temps where desired for as long a filling run as needed.

I NEVER run my tanks completely empty & use my YH for "topping off" only. Have no problem filling them to 4200 or 4300 psi & knew that when I got it I would "baby" it as much as possible. Can't expect an inexpensive compressor like YH to work like the big industrial ones so give it as much TLC as you can.

The tank was empty when I purchased it. Can't ship a CF cylinder under pressure. I hopefully will not have to completely fill it again only top it off from time to time.

Curly, I purchased a 66cuft SCBA bottle from a guy a few years ago. It had 4500psi of air in it when I opened the cardboard box that wasn't protected around the neck. I was shocked to say the least! 

Curly, I purchased a 66cuft SCBA bottle from a guy a few years ago. It had 4500psi of air in it when I opened the cardboard box that wasn't protected around the neck. I was shocked to say the least!

Yep that is a no-no!

Found one leak. The fitting in the top of my drier tower tube was not tight enough. I think I got it all buttoned up for now. I think I will add a larger water reservoir so I can add at least two frozen one gallon jugs to help keep temps in check. Added a small but high volume fan to blow over head and plumbing between stages. I am in the mid 50's for about 15 minute run.

My Yong is consistently developing a leak from the very top of the tower fitting when it hits 4000 psi or so. My temps are not going above 50 C. Has happened last 2 times I've tried top off my great white. Frustrating me now. When I take it down, and look at the metal o-ring that seals beneath the larger bolt, it looks heat damaged. Replace, and happens again. 

Perplexing me. 

Thoughts?? Do I need to find a gasket-ring or O-ring that is high temp rated? I've used the ones which came with the rebuild kit. Seems like a simple fix... just need right piece. 

CurlyWoods: I have a comment about your "brisk" water pump. Back in the day the guys were having trouble with their early 409 Chevy engines blowing up for lack of oil. Problem turned out to be the oil pump was SO GOOD it would pump the oil out of the sump faster then it could return and then cavitate. Also have heard of high performance cars overheating because of the water being pumped thru the radiator so fast it did not have time enough to cool. It doesn't appear you are having this problem but thought I would throw this out anyway.

That is actually something I need to watch. I have not seen any temps over 55C in most of my 15 minute average runs so far. I plan to let it run a little longer now that I feel like I have sufficiently broke it in and sorted out the leaks (for now). I will keep a close watch on temps to see if they stay around the same or increase with longer runs.