• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex My favorite budget PCP

My first "budget" PCP was a new Benjamin Akela I bought from Airguns of Arizona for $450. It has been a solid steel and walnut shooter. I also bought a pre-owned BSA Defiant at a "budget" price here on the Member Classified. Great shooter. Perhaps the absolute best "budget-priced" rifle is my new BSA R10 I purchased from Airguns of Arizona. These are a steal at around $800 IMO.

Akela Sparrow watch.jpg

BSA Defiant 3.jpeg

BSA R10b.jpg

My first PCP, very accurate but too long and heavy for comfortable all-day hunting. Paid $310, Pyramyd Air has sold for less than $200 lately combining occasional discounts and price specials. Any modifications? WM
Might go check pyramid air and get me another one for that price! The weight and length is pretty comfortable for me but maybe that’s cause I’m comparing it to my g2 .30 which is ridiculously long and front heavy haha. Only modification I’ve done is ream and buff the chamber a bit longer to allow slugs to load easier (it was a problem trying to load the heavier NSA slugs) loads and shoots almost all NSA’s up to 40gr beautifully now

My first "budget" PCP was a new Benjamin Akela I bought from Airguns of Arizona for $450. It has been a solid steel and walnut shooter. I also bought a pre-owned BSA Defiant at a "budget" price here on the Member Classified. Great shooter. Perhaps the absolute best "budget-priced" rifle is my new BSA R10 I purchased from Airguns of Arizona. These are a steal at around $800 IMO.

View attachment 421104

View attachment 421105

View attachment 421106
Beautiful airguns thank you for sharing!

Reactions: wolfdog

View attachment 421104

View attachment 421105

View attachment 421106
How many shots per fill on the BSA R10??? Thanks...

Might go check pyramid air and get me another one for that price! The weight and length is pretty comfortable for me but maybe that’s cause I’m comparing it to my g2 .30 which is ridiculously long and front heavy haha. Only modification I’ve done is ream and buff the chamber a bit longer to allow slugs to load easier (it was a problem trying to load the heavier NSA slugs) loads and shoots almost all NSA’s up to 40gr beautifully now
Seen pricing in $180s twice, PA starts series of limited time model markdowns; Crosman, Umarex, Hatsan and so on. First Generation Gauntlet price really gets chopped, not so much G2 and G30. Keep an eye out for next round of PA model markdowns. For bigger guys, maybe ten pounds (scoped), 47 inches doesn't matter, for me, PIA carrying all day. Too bad since it shot JSB 33.95s @ 740 FPS in dime-size circles @ 50 yards all day. Replaced "cigar" style internal baffle with four section ones from eBay, just like G2. Replaced OEM mag with CARM, had to modify to fit. Recently replaced 1900psi regulator with 2200 and added larger bottle like G2. Just added HS adjusting adapter, drilled access hole in stock as well as shroud venting hole per Hajimoto video. WM

Griffin 64 grain cup base slugs load easy into the breech of G2 30 and fit in the magazine. Probably the most accurate slug I've tried in it too. And you'll be hitting a lot harder than those 40 grain... I think I still get upper 800's FPS and about 122 FPE with the 64 grain.

Good video dude, well produced, I watched that last night. I've been enjoying my G2 25 a bit more lately... after ignoring it for a while due to G2 30 and other airgun aquisitions

View attachment 421104

View attachment 421105

View attachment 421106
You only have about 20-30 yards shooting distance in your backyard.
What is the point of owning air guns capable of shooting to 50-100 yards?

Because...he wants it that way !
I'm in the same boat.
Are you saying that we aren't allowed to have guns that shoot well to 100yrds or longer, BUT...only shoot short distances ?

Sorry nobody, your barking up the proverbial...wrong tree with that comment. SOME of use are just limited to shooting distance.
Don't let it concern you.

Mike

Reactions: Ray_PR
I know the original gauntlet is an older gun, but the accuracy I get out of it is just awesome, especially for the price. I have tons of other pcps but this one remains one of my favorites even in 2024.
Agreed. My gen 1 Gauntlet in .22 is so darn accurate, it is boring to shoot....if that makes sense..

Dislike Umarex ( since way back when the took over "RWS", but, do have one of the 1st .177 Gen 1 models.
Oh so much hate from folks who didn't own one.
I still think one of the best entry level FT airguns. EASY one finger cocking , super light bump safe trigger (and if wanting "2 stage" just add the old "QB spring plunger mod like FX uses in theirs.) very very accurate, reg, simple to work on if needed ..... what's not to like?

Glad you enjoy your low cost super fun airgun.

John

I have to (sheepishly) admit I have made some 50-yard Starling shots into the tops of my neighbor's giant oak tree. (I don't want to leave a pile of dead starlings in their yard, so I give the local cats and possums a night or two to clean up after my hunt. he he) I also live in Oklahoma City, so I am a short drive out to the countryside any time I want to extend my shooting range. However, at my age, I simply enjoy shooting from my back porch, or even from within my house out the back door and shooting sparrow/starlings out of the trees or punching holes in paper. Very relaxing and enjoyable. I have a fleet of quality air rifles from which to choose, so I never get bored with just one rifle.

Akela Sparrow watch.jpg

BSAR10c.jpg

Attachments

• BSA R10 range.jpg
    BSA R10 range.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: AtmoTac