🔘 My fascination with XLR (eXtreme Long Range) 𖦏

🔘 My fascination with XLR (eXtreme Long Range) 𖦏​

I have always been fascinated by XLR. And though I've never been very good at math — I find the numbers game somehow intriguing! 😊

● First you measure your numbers:
• BC of your projectile
• MV
• Range
• Wind
• Pressure, temp.

● Then you dial your numbers:
• Elevation
• Windage

● Then you aim at something invisible (or only barely visible) to the naked eye.

● Then you queeze the trigger, and — nothing happens!
No shot ringing out from the gun (airguns are so quiet)....
And nothing where the target is....

And then... — a second and a half later, a hole appears in the target (or the beer can explodes). 🤪

Fascinating!! 😎

Now, your turn! 😊
❓ WHY do you do XLR?
How did you get into XLR?

Matthias

Last edited:
That’s quite the checklist… XLR? For me that’s 100 yard plinking with my Atomic XR, close to 4 feet of holdover. But my checklist simply involves, judging conditions. Then the artillery man in me starts lobbing them out.

IMG_0390.jpeg

It's the challenge of everything involved in the process of ELR and of course the reward being the clang of the steel way out there.

When I get my V3 I'll see how far I can make a shot. Hoping for 600Y??
I can tell you with the .25 Altaros ATP Smooth 49.5 grain at 890 fps, 300 yards is fairly easy. I haven’t tried the 60 grain Queens but they have an even better BC, 0.245 to 0.21.
My Panthera 600 has the power to get them (60 grain Q) up to 880 ish fps, but I’m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. 🤪

I can tell you with the .25 Altaros ATP Smooth 49.5 grain at 890 fps, 300 yards is fairly easy. I haven’t tried the 60 grain Queens but they have an even better BC, 0.245 to 0.21.
My Panthera 600 has the power to get them (60 grain Q) up to 880 ish fps, but I’m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. 🤪

Those slugs and that gun have opened a whole new book about ELR!

Those slugs and that gun have opened a whole new book about ELR!
True dat! Most shooters that are stuck on ZAN or H&N or Patriot just don’t believe a slug can be that much better. Some of the really good shooters in OR said if they hadn’t seen it they wouldn’t believe it.

Hearing [reading] you talk just gets me even more excited!! 😄

These last few years we truly live in a

GOLDEN AGE of airgunning.

On all fronts (except springers* and pellet QC**) things are getting significantly better!
Almost every year!

🟡 With slugs we first doubled the best pellets' BC's.
We doubled them again (heavy slugs).
And we double them again (Altaros slugs).
H&N offers more differnt types/ weights of pellets than any other manufacturer.

🟡 Scopes under $500 come with all the bells and whistles that tier-one scopes come with. Their glass and turrets aren't quite as good as those of a $3000 scope. But they're probably better than $1500-scopes from just 10 years ago.

🟡 PCP guns outperform springers in almost every aspect:
Two thirds the length (bullpups!).
Half the weight.
Twice the precision (no hold-sensitivity).
Trice the range.
Five times the shot count (early PCP vs. bottle guns).
30 times the quarry weight (5lbs small game vs. 150lbs deer).
(Yeah, springers usually win the price competition once we take into account all the PCP accessories.)

The GOLDEN AGE of airgunning

I'm glad I joined the AG fold right at its beginning.
It's been a glorious ride down the rabbit hole. 😊

Matthias

*Note: I was just reading a thread entitled:
"What do you think is the next step in the evolution of German magnum springers?"
➔ You know the answer....

**Note: JSB, this is directed to your quality control department. Don't lower your formerly very good reputation any more!

🔘 My fascination with XLR (eXtreme Long Range) 𖦏​

I have always been fascinated by XLR. And though I've never been very good at math — I find the numbers game somehow intriguing! 😊

● First you measure your numbers:
• BC of your projectile
• MV
• Range
• Wind
• Pressure, temp.

If it's taking near 1.5 seconds, then you must be at 500yds+.

When the time of flight gets much over 1 second, you'll also want to include the correct latitude (GPS) and azimuth (compass).

The F-class 500yd targets. This should be our official airgun "XLR-500" target (MR-65):

37" x 37" (94cm x 94cm) — wow, that's nice and big! 😊

And I support your notion to have an "official target."

However, I wonder if the large black area will help or hinder us seing the impacts....
I always have been looking for paper targets that have the smallest of all bull's eyes.... ➔ To help me see my tiny .22cal holes....

Matthias

Unless you have a really good spotting scope, it’s very difficult to see impacts at that distance.

We need to decide on how many shots, 5 minimum, but 10 or 20 is better. You shoot that number of shots and then pull the target for score. That’s the only good way to see the hits.

You determine your dope as good as possible, and see the results when finished.

Reactions: .20calguy
We need to decide on how many shots, 5 minimum, but 10 or 20 is better. You shoot that number of shots and then pull the target for score. That’s the only good way to see the hits.

We've had the discussions on the chance of the "lucky group" —
one the nutritional value of "cherry picking" groups —
and on the longevity of the "once in a lifetime" sub-moa.

Great shooters like you, Mike (of Thomas), CC, etc. etc. have been admonishing us to a more realistic form of reporting "precision" and "groups."
And the statistics, as little as my little brain understands them, seem to be in full support (Ballistipedia.com). 👍🏼

So, yeah, given the huge size of the card, 20 shots will very easily distribute over its 37 square inches at extreme ranges. (For 100 yard ranges 5 or 10 shots per card are probably enough.)

Matthias

Reactions: Centercut
My fascination is similar to the OP, working out and applying all the factors, internal and external, putting them to the test and hearing the faint ping of slug on steel gong at 300m(328yds).

Oh and also the satisfaction of having the center fire guys at the range wondering why I hit the gong 4 out of 5 times and they struggle for 3 out of 5 times and I am using AN AIR RIFLE ..... little do they know I spent a good half hour getting the read for the conditions on the day before they arrived ;);)

Last edited:
37" x 37" (94cm x 94cm) — wow, that's nice and big! 😊

And I support your notion to have an "official target."

However, I wonder if the large black area will help or hinder us seing the impacts....
I always have been looking for paper targets that have the smallest of all bull's eyes.... ➔ To help me see my tiny .22cal holes....

Matthias
24x24 white butcher paper w/ 2 or 3" orange dot for 500 ? Hits would be easier to spot.
That is the size plate w/indicators we shot at a ELR match yesterday . 18x18 @ 450 ,& 12x12 @ 400 .

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
As far as targets go - at XLR/ELR distances the seeing of where you hit or miss is super important!
Instead of using paper targets using steel targets is the way to go.
I saw a company years ago that had a steel target with laser engraved scoring rings on it which would accomplish most of what people want as far as score goes BUT you can see where you hit because of the splash mark much of the time when they are painted white.
Make the 10ring center a flapper for a bonus reaction.

Place this target/s against a background where you can see your misses and the experience will be more fun and less frustrating.

Then use these targets of different sizes depending on distance. Also it'd be a good idea to make these out of 1/4" AR 500 and hang them in a way so they make that awesome sounding CLANG we love to hear.

I was shooting at a Buffalo target at 421Y with a 60 fpe pcp using .142BC slugs and the horizontal spread was 3 feet wide due to wind. If I hadn't seen where I was hitting or missing the experience would not have been something I would waste my time with.

It'd be different if we could use a high power rifle range with THIS type of target scoring system, if so then using paper would work much better.
https://www.ssusa.org/content/life-in-the-pits/