• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning My DIY FX Barrel Tuning Project

Came up with an industrial-strength solution recently for my high-power Veterans that are using FX barrels. My original goal was to eliminate the need for the FX liner lock compression nut with the liners that I'm using in my prototype barrel kits.

First, I machine a new barrel adapter that uses compressed o-rings for friction at the breech (similar in theory as the Continuum Superlight liner attachment system), which on its own holds the liner in tight enough that I can shoot slugs with nothing else supporting it at 170bar.

0979D115-09B8-4604-B9FE-96C7375C4649.1619147897.jpeg
0E2A6E7D-68EC-434E-8D22-DDF97C361385.1619147897.jpeg

That confirmed to me that the attachment system would work for the breech side, but I certainly wasn't planning to keep the liner unsupported throughout the length of the rifle lol

So I started to come up with some different ideas on how I could secure the liner to the 15mm OD steel sleeves that I'm using without using compression. Knew that I wanted to use a specific type and size collet (which fits the .22 liners like a glove). 

In the end, what I came up with was a custom collet chuck that I machined in a way that allows me to adjust its position in the muzzle end of my heavy duty barrel sleeve. With the collet locked down on the liner, I can turn the adjustable chuck away from the breech - stretching the liner instead of applying end to end compression.

9E177BD6-4AE1-4235-95E5-EF2EC4F24185.1619149192.jpeg
BE576F42-EE41-4C23-BD2E-D550634E9281.1619149192.jpeg

In this configuration, I have a threaded adapter connected to the other side of the collect holder, but I'm awaiting a material order so I can finish the full prototype (which uses a fully-enclosed mechanical LDC design that isn't connected to the liner).

Initial results: it most definitely works. With the previous liner attachment method, I was able to shoot very tight sub-MOA groups at 100m using 32.8gr Varmint Knockers, 40gr Griffin BTs, and the 24.8gr NSAs when there isn't heavy wind - except, it was very difficult to get the liner compression "just right". I also had to use a shaft collar around my barrel sleeve to really fine tune it.

I was seeing harmonic issues and liner "movement" when the compression torque was wrong (causing wandering 1/4" groups), but now the liner is rock steady. 

She ain't pretty right now, but this is my first iteration and I'm planning to finish this project in a couple of weeks.

718C3769-FF49-40D2-AD03-1A6543811D18.1619150150.jpeg

MG,

Very nice Bit of Kit you've made 
1f44d.svg
1f44d.svg
1f44d.svg
. Do you think it would work on an Impact? ( no doubt with a lot of modification)

Please keep us informed. It is always educational and informative to read your post.

The Best

Joe
1f60e.svg

Yeah, this next component that I'm going to make for the breech will definitely make it compatible with all FX rifles (the Crown Superlight barrel kit would not be plug and play though).

The caveat - the outer barrel sleeve would need to be shorter than whatever size is being used. I have made replacement sleeves using 14mm OD steel tubing though, so I can make them to any size needed.