My Delta Wolf has arrived!!

Thank you Tom, and sorry to bug you more.

" 34g " 700fps (37ftlbf), is it a different "low" speed dependent on the pellet weight?. ie "low" power always 37ftlb, or will it always go down to 700fps.

What I mean is, if shooting say a 16.54 .25 GTO will it still go down to 700fps (18ftlbf) or will it still be 37ftlbf (1020fps or thereabouts).

EDIT, Sorry, I missed the "very ill" in the first reading. good luck.

I wanted to see how the onboard crony was performing so, I whipped out my Air Chrony and sent some shots through. 

There was an 11 fps average difference between the two readings. But, the difference was consistent. I expected that there would be a few fps difference between the on-board crony and an external crony. (I didn't quite expect it to be ~11fps but, I could believe it to be true.) This test shows me that the on-board crony works and that I can trust the numbers it's showing me. 

DC12281D-A5E7-44C1-9D3A-A6B0153998E4_1_201_a.1612471706.jpeg
96D3C2E1-07F2-4920-AC98-FC550EB8AF45_1_201_a.1612471707.jpeg

It does make me wonder though. If someone says that MKII's shoot best at 860, are they technically shooting around 870 at the muzzle? When I chrony my other rifles, I don't go through the trouble of exposing a bare barrel so my crony gets a true "at the muzzle" reading. 

A few notes on the screen readout. 1st off, don't necessarily program your rifle to shoot the numbers shown. That's not a secret recipe, it's just me messing around. 

On the top, you can see "168 bar reg" That's the actual reg pressure. If you decide to adjust the mechanical reg, that's where you'll be looking to set the pressure. The reg can be adjusted UP at any time with a flat head screwdriver. But, the air must first be fully drained, if the reg is to be adjusted DOWN! 

"Active Set", and everything below it, is the programmed recipe the rifle is working towards achieving. 

The last line, "PRES. 170 bar" is what the program wants the reg be set to. In this pic, my reg is technically 2 bar lower than what the program wants. That's well within the margin of error (5bar+/-) and the rifle will function just fine. In other words, you probably won't notice a difference by chasing down those 2 bars of pressure. 

The very first change I made to my rifles setting was the "Auto Power Off" time! It arrived set at 1 minute and was constantly shutting off before I wanted it to. This setting has a bunch of selections ranging from :30 seconds to 1.5 hours. The rifle does make a noise when it turns on so, if you're using it in the hunting environment double check your time setting. 

Red Wolf owners have to cycle the bolt in order to turn their rifle back on. With the new magazine design, this could lead to a double load, if the shooter wasn't paying attention to what they were doing. This is changed with the Delta Wolf. In order to turn the rifle back on, you just need to cycle the safety switch. 

I'm not really one to post pics of groups and the wind is blowing all over the place today so, no accuracy pics or reports. Besides, I'm really just learning the rifle and messing with settings. So, I'm sure you can imagine what some of those groups would look like! lol! 😆 

Tom

Hi Tom,

Hope you are feel better soon. It's a beautiful report you shared with us with the photos and the inline comments.

You are comparing two different measurements so maybe the 1.3% difference in indeed ok. The Air Chrony claims accuracy of 0.459 fps which at 844 fps would be 0.06%. The table below then shows errors greater so something is off. Looking at other chronographs I think their accuracy claims is too good to be true. LabRadar claims 0.1% and and my ProChrono DLX claims 0.5%. I don't know what Daystate specifies for the built-in chronograph but I would be very surprised if it was 1.3%.

I can't believe that Daystate has such poor internal ballistics, they definitely have to work on their valve and increase plenum volume...

It would appear that way, but all I can say is I get virtually the same number of shots with my DW VS my IMPACT at the same pellet speed, regardless of what the pressure figures show, I hope that makes sense?

Hi Tom,

Really good to read your comments, spot on as usual! I would like to add a behind the scenes detail on the gun switching to standby, With an electronic airgun there is an opportunity to enhance safety (as well as battery life) if the gun goes to standby after a while. Many gun accidents happen when someone picks up a gun and pulls the super light trigger - thinking the gun is not loaded. Good training and correct use of safety catches should stop this, and yet…accidents still happen!

So successive Daystate electronic guns have a standby time (and you can only do this on an electronically controlled rifle). On the latest Red Wolves and the Delta Wolf we have made this time adjustable, but the design is that the safety catch should be applied at all times when the rifle is not actually being shot, that is why the default is set at a short time. This extends battery life and avoids having to say ‘oops, I didn't know it was loaded’!

Tony

Tom - Thanks for the post and pics. Good catch on the smaller safety switch on the right side (and a nice bit of attention to detail on Daystate's part). I noticed you have low rings on your scope. I have to order new rings for my scope due to the picatinny rail and can't decide on the height. I'll likely go with adjustable high rings. Any thoughts?

I think mine and another TC member Bill @Crusher are shipping today and we'll have them next week. Both .25 caliber, and I hear they LOVE the .25 JSB Heavy Mk1, which has the best BC of any commercially available pellet. More to follow on a separate post once I get it and take it out in the field. I already have an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 standing by ready to mount...

I think mine and another TC member Bill @Crusher are shipping today and we'll have them next week. Both .25 caliber, and I hear they LOVE the .25 JSB Heavy Mk1, which has the best BC of any commercially available pellet. More to follow on a separate post once I get it and take it out in the field. I already have an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 standing by ready to mount...

That'll be a nice setup! Looking forward to seeing if it'll beat out Bleu

I guess I'm the odd ball out again..... does it shoot super super tight consistent groups at 100 yards or does it not? I have ZERO interest in any of the features until I know it shoots CRAZY AMAZING GROUPS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. 

All that other stuff is worthless and redundant if the thing doesn't shoot. 

And for 3k it better outshoot an impact by a decent margin to justify the excess cost. 

But I suppose some folks like the bells and whistles,

For me, its GROUPS GROUPS GROUPS. At 100 yards preferably, and 10 shots each ideally.