• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My Delta Wolf has arrived!!

I guess I'm the odd ball out again..... does it shoot super super tight consistent groups at 100 yards or does it not? I have ZERO interest in any of the features until I know it shoots CRAZY AMAZING GROUPS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. 

All that other stuff is worthless and redundant if the thing doesn't shoot. 

And for 3k it better outshoot an impact by a decent margin to justify the excess cost. 

But I suppose some folks like the bells and whistles,

For me, its GROUPS GROUPS GROUPS. At 100 yards preferably, and 10 shots each ideally.

Just like any other production gun of a certain make and model, there are examples of the most precise, mid way in between, and some not so good. This depends on different factors, some of which are still a mystery. Even with the best custom rifles, made as exactly the same way as can be, one can be stellar and the other only good.

Reminds me of both Redwolfs, Impacts, or (insert any mass produced manufacturer here), that have had problems and didn't shoot great even though they are/were the Flagship rifles of those Co's.

On the other side of the spectrum I've shot some cheap rifles that shot as good as some expensive rifles.

Also a good batch # of pellets and a good tune can make a big difference. 

The truth is that pellet guns shooting pellets at 100Y isn't exactly a precise thing when you consider that firearms can average in the .1's CTC. 

What I liked about the Delta was seeing all the vitals on the screen and the easy adjustments. I shot some 51 grainers and the groups were okay but when I upped the velocity 10 or 20 fps(can't remember??) via the electronics, the groups got tighter, some around an inch.

I think that with the ART barrels, coupled with the easy adjustments, the chances of getting a great shooter are substantial. Remains to be seen I suppose.

I guess I'm the odd ball out again..... does it shoot super super tight consistent groups at 100 yards or does it not? I have ZERO interest in any of the features until I know it shoots CRAZY AMAZING GROUPS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. 

And for 3k it better outshoot an impact by a decent margin to justify the excess cost. 

For me, its GROUPS GROUPS GROUPS. At 100 yards preferably, and 10 shots each ideally.

Sounds like you shoot some pretty nice rifles.

Not really. But I shoot some very very well tuned guns. 

I have an fx wildcat mk1 that stacks 15.9 grain pellets with awesome consistency. 8 shot groups at 60 yards are routinely half inch in low wind. Over and over and over again. I paid 520$ for it. 

I also have an edgun r3m. 25 matador that stacks griffin slugs at MOA at 100 yards every single time even in winds up to 15 mph. 

If I crank out the hammer spring 3 whole turns it stacks 25.39 grain pellets at under half inch atb60 yards with frightening consistency. 

That gun was 1100$. 

Then theres my matador r3m. In .22. Well, that gun is in all league all by itself. 

I have a picture of the gun shooting 75 shots in five shot groups each at 40 yards. Not a single group is over 3/8 of an inch. 

I paid 1000$ for it. But it came with 10 tins of pellets and a vortex ffp scope. So I probably have about 650$ in the gun. 

If I paid 3k for a delta wolf it better well at least EQUAL the performance of my 1k dollar guns.

I would say that is a reasonable expectation. 

The answer to this question is both, yes and no. It really depends on the shooter, tune, pellets, and environmental conditions. I could program this to shoot +2" groups at 100 yards, if I wanted to. I could also program it to shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards. If you're not interested in the features of the rifle then, you may not achieve the best performance out of a rifle such as this. Also, the rifle may be able to shoot crazy amazing groups but, the shooter may not. 

I haven't shot this rifle under 100 yards yet. I've stacked pellets as well as had 2" groups. Is it capable of tight groups at 100? Absolutely. 

Not really. But I shoot some very very well tuned guns. 

I have an fx wildcat mk1 that stacks 15.9 grain pellets with awesome consistency. 8 shot groups at 60 yards are routinely half inch in low wind. Over and over and over again. I paid 520$ for it. 

I also have an edgun r3m. 25 matador that stacks griffin slugs at MOA at 100 yards every single time even in winds up to 15 mph. 

If I crank out the hammer spring 3 whole turns it stacks 25.39 grain pellets at under half inch atb60 yards with frightening consistency. 

That gun was 1100$. 

Then theres my matador r3m. In .22. Well, that gun is in all league all by itself. 

I have a picture of the gun shooting 75 shots in five shot groups each at 40 yards. Not a single group is over 3/8 of an inch. 

I paid 1000$ for it. But it came with 10 tins of pellets and a vortex ffp scope. So I probably have about 650$ in the gun. 

If I paid 3k for a delta wolf it better well at least EQUAL the performance of my 1k dollar guns.

I would say that is a reasonable expectation.

Moe, did you tune those guns yourself? I need to keep my eyes open for a couple guns that shoot like that.

Really hope this weather breaks soon so I can get back to putting this rifle through its paces! 
92946EC9-7D68-448C-A980-07E69B2A62E7.1613427822.jpeg

Apologies for the delay on updates! 

I have found that the DW is incredibly easy to program. It's a huge improvement over the RW. One reasons it's easier is that it's no longer necessary to address all the settings, every time. They've simplified it. But, they didn't take away the ability to adjust all the setting either. So, you can go in as deep as you'd like. It's also easier because you don't have to remove the battery, stock, and cover plate. Plug the battery back in and plug in the programmer. Put the rifle in a vise.... etc., etc., etc. Now it's, hold the trigger back, swipe, and poke. It took me a few rounds of programming before I figured out that my efforts weren't having any effect. There's one last step to programing that I didn't expect (and wasn't doing). After you punch your settings in and are satisfied, you need to go back to the home screen, find your new setting, and select it. It doesn't automatically use the setting you just entered after you enter it. It's not at all hard to do but, it's easy to forget. 

One disappointment is that it seems there is no way to remove an old program once you create it. To be clear... I'm talking about deleting a programmed set that I created. Any set I create can be changed or renamed easily. But, if you add 15 different programmed settings into the memory, that's it, they'll always be there even if they're trash, and you'll never use them again. Not the end of the world by any stretch. Trash settings could be renamed, "Poo1, Poo2, Poo3, Poo4...." 

The biggest thing I'm struggling with is pellets. I was expecting a .22 DW but, the only ones available, when I got the call, were .25 and .30. I opted for the .25 rather than holding out for the .22. To my knowledge, the .22's are still being held up by delays (friggin Covid!). The real kick in the pants was that I had just sold and shipped all my .25 cal pellets the day before I got the call! UGH!! I had almost gotten completely away from .25 caliber. Now, I'm using whatever I could scrounge up (very sparingly) while I wait for my orders to be filled and shipped. 

Winter is breaking here. The weather is getting warmer and we've had some really nice days! Of course, I've been either working or busy with other things on those days. Now that things have slowed down a bit, we've got a major Winter storm coming. Could be a few inches, or perhaps a few FEET!! 😬

The news' weather folks will be able to give a much more accurate prediction of snowfall amounts after the storm has passed. lol! 😆 In the mean time, I'm working on other projects but, I'll start a different thread for that. 

Happy Shooting,

Tom

The DW may be easier to program with the built in programmer and chrono than earlier models, but with this being the first Daystate I've owned, I do not find it easy by any stretch of the imagination. I had great trepidation before ordering the gun. Mine is a .30, and i planned to add the .22 when available. I tried to discuss this with Daystate long ago, to no avail. I told them I understood that they could not produce the GUN because of COVID (the excuse for everything today), but why could they not, sitting anywhere in the world, not produce the MANUAL?, especially the part on the programming. Not on how to put air in an airgun, fill a magazine with pellets, move the safety to FIRE and pull the trigger, or other meaningless drivel.

True to form, the gun includes a manual that talks more about the basic operation of an air rifle, an explanation on Daystate pellets, and accessories for the Delta Wolf, and little real information on the most important aspect of the gun-the electronics. I already learned that there is NO WAY that anyone can explain on how to delete unnecessary profiles, or even how many are allowed or what will happen if a certain limit of them is reached. The manual also says if you adjust the pellet to your desired speed, a " A table will be
loaded with the achievable pellet speeds". I see no such table. You do not just adjust the pellet speed and the built in chronograph reads the actual speed and the gun makes all the necessary changes as was initially stated. You will, have to change the regulator which is easy to do and is external, but there are no baselines provided on the regulator setting by caliber/pellet.

I have also learned that if you use the magazine counter function and it is on zero and you try to load a pellet single shot, the gun will not fire, and that there is no way to uncock the gun. If you load a pellet and the gun will not fire for any reason, you have a loaded gun that you cannot uncock to safely work on the gun, so the only way to make it safe is to open the side lever with the gun on safe, and push the pellet out with a rod muzzle to breech.

You can change the hammer spring tension and voltage put there is ZERO explanation of what the range of values is, or the effect of increasing/decreasing them is.

I won't even discuss the USB charging port cover. It has already been determined to be useless junk. I never even put it on. I covered the port with a small piece of black electricians tape.

I'm not sure an electronic gun like any of the Daystates is the gun for me.

Seems so, especially after buying the programmer and adding a Helioboard.

Yes, with adjustability frequently comes difficulty, especially when the manufacturer will not provide any documentation of how to use the functionality they are using as a selling point.

I don't have either a programmer or a Heliboard for my Pulsar. I have 3 settings that meet my needs. I see no problem with the platform. Sounds like you really don't want to like the Daystate brand.

Not true. I'm not saying your gun isn't pretty, that seems how you are interpreting it. I'm not sure how three electronic power settings is a big difference over the 3 step power adjuster of the FX guns. It kind of falls between the three step wheel on the FX, and the three step wheel and number wheel combination on say the FX Crown. There is no comparison between a Pulsar and RW or DW. Not saying one is better than the other (sometimes simpler is better) or that Daystates are bad guns or don't shoot well, or Minelli stocks aren't beautiful. Just not comparable.