Daystate My Daystate Huntsman Classic Leaks Badly - Need Help

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a used Daystate Huntsman Classic, the one with the short, brown, non-removable air cylinder. in .177. If I fill it today, tomorrow it will be empty. It leaks so bad that when I shoot a 25 shot benchrest target starting with a 170 BAR fill, by the time I'm done it is at 100 BAR. The air gauge also does not work, and I'd like to lighten the trigger. I've found videos on Huntsman Regal's and newer, but none on how to service this one. The gentleman I bought it from said it was in excellent condition, and refuses to take it back, saying that "you never know when a seal is going to go bad, it can happen at any time." Right, but what about the air pressure gauge you didn't tell me about?

I don't know if I have the skills to fix it myself although I'd like to try, and get to know the gun better in the process. I have completely taken apart an Air Arms TX200 and polished all the internals, cleaned, lubed, put it back together, and sold it to a club silhouette shooter who says it is the best TX he has ever had. So I hope that is enough skill to fix this gun.

Anyway, can someone please point me to some instructions to figure out which O-ring is bad and how to repair it? I figure that as old as it is I may as well change as many seals/O-rings as are accessible while I'm in there, and I know AOA sells a replacement gauge for $35. I figure lightening the trigger should be easy if I know which screws to adjust.

It's either me trying to fix it, or sending it off to a pro who will charge north of $200.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Scrench

Reactions: cavedweller
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a used Daystate Huntsman Classic, the one with the short, brown, non-removable air cylinder. in .177. If I fill it today, tomorrow it will be empty. It leaks so bad that when I shoot a 25 shot benchrest target starting with a 170 BAR fill, by the time I'm done it is at 100 BAR. The air gauge also does not work, and I'd like to lighten the trigger. I've found videos on Huntsman Regal's and newer, but none on how to service this one. The gentleman I bought it from said it was in excellent condition, and refuses to take it back, saying that "you never know when a seal is going to go bad, it can happen at any time." Right, but what about the air pressure gauge you didn't tell me about?

I don't know if I have the skills to fix it myself although I'd like to try, and get to know the gun better in the process. I have completely taken apart an Air Arms TX200 and polished all the internals, cleaned, lubed, put it back together, and sold it to a club silhouette shooter who says it is the best TX he has ever had. So I hope that is enough skill to fix this gun.

Anyway, can someone please point me to some instructions to figure out which O-ring is bad and how to repair it? I figure that as old as it is I may as well change as many seals/O-rings as are accessible while I'm in there, and I know AOA sells a replacement gauge for $35. I figure lightening the trigger should be easy if I know which screws to adjust.

It's either me trying to fix it, or sending it off to a pro who will charge north of $200.

Thank You,
Scrench
Full reseal from a Pro ... Likely doable for @ $100 or less pending parts needed. Postage too & from said "Pro Shop" Going and returning could make that double digits

Hi Everyone,

Thank You,
Scrench
I’m wondering what your long term plans are for the gun? If you’re patient you can do all the basics but and this is a big but, if you really want to squeeze the most out of it over a long term run… somebody whose been a true airgun wizard is worth every penny @Motorhead. Maybe someone in BRAC is a Daystate wizard?

I wrote up a thread a while back on repairing a leak on my Huntsman Regal which is pretty much the same thing as the Classic. It was my first time fixing a leak on a PCP when I first got into them and it was pretty simple to do. I would give AoA a call and order a reseal kit and maybe a new gauge if yours is broken. There's some o-ring sizes listed in the thread but to be on the safe side, just order the reseal kit. Also, your air cylinder should just unscrew but you might need a strap wrench and a little muscle. Mine came off easily by hand. You never know until you get in there. Hope this helps.

The prices charged for airgun reseal kits (where you only get 1 or 2 rings for each specific area) are exorbitant compared to buying "bulk" from Mcmaster-Carr, O-rings & More or The O-ring Store. Of course, you'll need all the sizes to order but there should be diagrams to help with that (search Huntsman Classic exploded diagram) You never mentioned if you did a leak test with soapy spray or whatever.