• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DAR My DAR gen 2 17 cal won't group.

I have owned this rifle since new. Will run a few rounds through chronograph as I can't find my notes. When I first started shooting this rifle it didn't group well but though time would help it break in. I like the rifle, but haven't shot it lately. Will post chronograph numbers tomorrow. thanks db
Nervoustrig would know best, think he did some barrel work to improve his DARs. If it never shot well, my guess would be a similar issue. Do some archive searches under Nervoustrig for "DAR," or "barrel," or "crown repair." He's posted a great write-up for barrel inspections and fixes, should find during search. Best of Luck, WM

First, the bad news. The .177 barrels did not have a good track record, to the extent that they stopped offering .177 in the gen 3.

The good news is, they weren't miss-a-golf-ball-at-15-yards bad. And in a case like this where you've tried multiple pellets and none is doing better than that, there is almost surely one particular malady that is responsible for the majority of the inaccuracy. Meaning something that an informed troubleshooting effort has a good chance of identifying.

I think the suggestions so far are good to explore. Things like collecting some chronograph data for at least 10 shots or so, make sure your scope is not at fault (try swapping to a different scope if you haven't already), confirm parallax error is not a factor (head bob check).

Try it without the shroud and baffles. Clipping is a distinct possibility.

Double check that the barrel is firmly seated in the breech block and the grub screws are snug (but don't overtighten).

If you get through those items and don't find the culprit, it's time to give the barrel itself a little inspection. I drafted a DIY guide on the topic you can find here https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=130555
If you need guidance on any of the concepts, or in interpreting what you see, just ask.

I forgot that I had to wrap the baffles with thin duct tape to get them to center well and not have clipping.

As they come OEM, they are a bit loose and can get out of alignment easily because of that.

Unfortunately, the company did not help me in the least with the problems I had, so unless I can fix or replace the regulator on mine, it is just a fairly nice looking piece of junk now.

Try some heavier pellets. My .177 DAR Gen 2 loves 13.44 gr JSB Monsters.(not redesigned)

It came from the factory shooting way too got for lighter pellets and would sling them all over the place.

I lowered the reg pressure and trimmed the hammer spring back a bit so that I could shoot 10gr pellets out of it, but none of them performed as well as the original Monsters...

Those barrels do foul up pretty quickly as well, so if you have shot it a bunch and haven't cleaned it in a while, that could be part of the problem too.

As others have said, provide us with some chronograph numbers and we might be able to help a little more.

Don't give up on her. They are nice guns once you get the kinks worked out.

You’re going to have to go into the barrel diagnostic mode now because your speed is not excessive. Check screws, baffles, Crown, leade and transfer port. You can also chamber a pellet by single loading it. Then with a L shaped hex wrench seat the pellet just a little more than your probe did. Shoot a group like this. If it’s better then you know your leade was cut wrong. Push a pellet through the barrel from stem to stern and check for pellet damage.

Progress on DAR: have removed baffles and shroud and shot several different pellet groups. Best to date is with Crosman premier domed 10.5 gr. Ten shot group < 1 inch @ 15 meters, Pics attached.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

You are shooting pistol distance so i understand your frustration. Time to diagnose the inside of the barrel. Warning, you may never visually discover the problem. The barrel could just be junk. I hope you already tried single loading the gun. Spending hours messing with the barrel/components and a couple pounds of lead only to discover it’s a magazine issue is a bummer.

Reactions: Clifton
Looks like you got one of the crap .177 barrels nervoustrig was talking about.

I was lucky with my barrel, but the regulator failed and has some sort of hard plastic disk that fell out of the reg and I am not versed at fixing such things.

If there was a drop in replacement regulator, I might try it, but I don't know of one.

In your case, it looks like you will need to have the barrel worked on, but I don't know if it is worth it considering my problems with the regulator.

Seems that you will spend money on one thing, only to have another problem (regulator, etc) eventually cause more problems. Nervoustrig has had good service from his DAR, but there are plenty of folks like me who will never, ever do ANY business with DAR/Aim Sports ever again.

The mythical "Joe" at Aim Sports never ever got back to me while the gun was in warranty and I had a hard time getting a real person on the phone.

Yeah... I know... I made your day... (ducking and running)

Its probably like my.22 Gen 2 Stormrider. I probably put 1500 pellets through it trying to figure out why it shot all over the place.I kept saying to myself it has to be a bad barrel though I couldn't see anything wrong. Several times I almost wrapped it around a tree cause I was simply done with it. Now I'm glad I didn't because I was able to get a new barrel for 34.00 and now its a completely different gun. Its in the top 3 for accuracy at 30 yards.

Its probably like my.22 Gen 2 Stormrider. I probably put 1500 pellets through it trying to figure out why it shot all over the place.I kept saying to myself it has to be a bad barrel though I couldn't see anything wrong. Several times I almost wrapped it around a tree cause I was simply done with it. Now I'm glad I didn't because I was able to get a new barrel for 34.00 and now its a completely different gun. Its in the top 3 for accuracy at 30 yards.
I am sure this was a while back, but where the heck did you get a new barrel for $34?????????????????????

Sort of hard to believe, even if it was 10 years ago. Even for a Stormrider!

I have no doubt that a new barrel for a .177 DAR would be MUCH more even if you COULD find one. The company doesn't even offer .177 guns now and based on my experience with Aim Sports, I highly doubt they have or would even try to get a replacement for ANY customer.

Last edited: