• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My Crown Continuum seems grumpy

This past Sunday, I took the Crown Continuum to the range with my Impact M3.
I shot 50m with the Impact earlier and confirmed that it was a very good group.
Then I shot 50m with Crown.

Oh my god!
There was almost no wind, but the bullets were scattered about the size of a fist.
Changing the bullet velocity did not change the result.
After I got home, I removed the barrel, cleaned it, and replaced the o-rings.
Adjusted the position of the superlight barrel spacers with reference to AEAC.
And finally, I prayed that he would make me feel better.
I will test again next week.

My Crown Continuum
.22 500mm barrel
reg 140bar 910fps
JSB 18gr pellet

Was it a tin of 18.1gr known to group well in that specific rifle?

Also, is the 140 bar regulator setpoint necessary to move the 18.1gr at 910fps? Seems kinda high for a 500mm barrel unless the porting is somewhat anemic. I would have guessed something closer to 110 bar.
The bullets commonly available in my country are JSB 16gr or 18gr.
I tried both when I bought them. The best at that time was 18gr.
Next, try lowering the Reg pressure a little more.

Thank You

The bullets commonly available in my country are JSB 16gr or 18gr.
I tried both when I bought them. The best at that time was 18gr.
My question may not have been clear enough. I was asking if that exact tin of 18gr pellets is known to have grouped well previously in your Crown Continuum.

Tins purchased at different times can have vastly different performance…something that has always been true but it seems especially so in recent months based on user reports that seem indicative of a quality decline.

Reactions: saitama
My question may not have been clear enough. I was asking if that exact tin of 18gr pellets is known to have grouped well previously in your Crown Continuum.

Tins purchased at different times can have vastly different performance…something that has always been true but it seems especially so in recent months based on user reports that seem indicative of a quality decline.

I understand what you mean. The cans themselves are different, but the same lot number.
All the ones I bought this year had the same lot number.
num:58560021

I haven't had any issues this spring/summer.

Hello @saitama ,
It's hard to decide what needs to be done until you get a chance to shoot again after your cleaning and o-ring replacement. In the meantime, you could check tightness of all your screws, especially for whatever optic or other sights you are using. I am assuming that it used to group just fine and now suddenly it's not grouping well? Check some of the simple things first. I think the cleaning was an appropriate first thing to do.

Good Luck,
Feinwerk

Reactions: saitama
Hello @saitama ,
It's hard to decide what needs to be done until you get a chance to shoot again after your cleaning and o-ring replacement. In the meantime, you could check tightness of all your screws, especially for whatever optic or other sights you are using. I am assuming that it used to group just fine and now suddenly it's not grouping well? Check some of the simple things first. I think the cleaning was an appropriate first thing to do.

Good Luck,
Feinwerk
I checked the screws that attach the scope last night before I went to bed. It seemed to be tightly fastened.
To be honest, I'm a little nervous because the hunting season is approaching.

Thank You

On my 600mm barrel I run 3 spacers. One is about 1 inch from end of barrel and I used black electrical tape behind it. The other 2 are evenly spaced out with black electrical tape behind them…check the barrel screws to see if they are snug and even pressure on both sides….

Tony P
When I first bought it, the spacers were roughly evenly spaced.
Originally that worked fine.
I placed the spacer at the end of the barrel at the 1inc point and repositioned the second spacer in the center.
The barrel was originally tightened firmly and evenly, so that should not be a problem.
I will try that tomorrow.