• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My compressor station

I'm new to Airgun Nation and PCP air rifles. I've had a Sheridan Blue Streak since the late 60s. Recently bought a Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .177 and a Benjamin Armada .22. So that brings me to the need for a charging station. As a retired person, I have time to spend with my pursuits and tend to overdue things.. I originally bought a Tuxing single cylinder as I liked the internal air passages and large cooling water surrounded high pressure piston. Unfortunately, it arrived with casting broken and bends in all the sheet metal. Delivered by air drop I guess!! While waiting to get the damage compressor resolved, I bought a Yong Heng with the low side condenser and manual shut off. I read many threads and watch many videos on modifications made by other to improve cooling and remove moisture. To begin my mods, I added a low side cooling tower. I cut the stainless tube running from the low side output and silver soldered a copper tube to each of the cut ends. I installed compression fittings and high temp / pressure flex hose to the tower cooler and back to the original low side condenser. Air from the low side condenser follows the original path to the high side piston on to the output whip. To further reduce moisture, the output whip is connected to a large heavy wall filter / dryer … mine being filled as a molecular sieve. The gold dryer has a bleed valve below the foster compressor connection for additional moisture release. As many have already learned, fittings and adapters rated for 6000 psi to join the parts in the manner I wanted, took some time to source. I had to machine several myself to reduce the number of threaded connections. As part of my moisture control, I plumbed an intake air desiccant canister. Lots of discussions concerning effectiveness but its there. With the pressure side configured for the moisture removal as I wanted, I moved on to the compressor cooling … water and air. I removed the funky shaft mounted fan and grill at the rear of the motor and replaced it with a 6” 12V push fan. Moves lots of air through the motor shroud and across the low pressure cylinder. I fabricated a closed water cooling system that circulates distilled water with water wetter and a small amount of anti-freeze. After watching Yong Heng repair videos and seeing the large amount of deposits on the outside of the high pressure cylinder, inside the water jacket, I wanted something better. I assume the deposits are left from the super high temperature of the high pressure cylinder spot boiling the cooling water and leaving the tap water mineral deposits that will reduce the heat transfer. As others have done, I have added a 3 fan, all copper radiator. A 12V 3.5 gal/min centrifugal pump located below the cylinder output, is always flooded, pushing coolant through the radiator and up to the lower inlet of the high pressure cylinder. The 12V DC components are powered by a 15A switching power supply. I still monitor compressor temperature and would manually limit high temperature to 65C. Stabilization temperature is about 62C with 70F room temp for the 15 minutes it takes to top up the SCBA tank. All the above configuration is mounted in a multi level PVC pipe cage on casters. Lots of small personal nuances that I didn't bother to document. My rendition of a PCP charging station that works for me.

FYI: Before the closed cooling system was finished, I needed air to shoot. I charged my 2 SCBA tanks from “0” to 4200 psi in 5 steps of about 15 min each with cool down between. I maintained 2000 PSI sieve dryer pressure by just cracking tank valve until tank pressure reached the 2000 threshold. Worked well but took almost half a day and lots of ice with the original submersible pump.

1-Front View.1615754713.JPG
2-moisture dryers final.1615754727.JPG
3-12V fan and power.1615754734.JPG
4-Coolant pump.1615754742.JPG
5-Radiator.1615754755.JPG

Reactions: Humdinger
Bigragu

Not pipe fitter but retired from engineering management / R&D. I learned early on not to expect my development staff to do something I could not do myself. Learned many fabrication disciplines over the years. I was fortunate to be able to retire with a complete machine shop that has allowed me to pursue many different “hobbies”. They seem to change like the weather! Different from many, I enjoy the search for the “right” part. Amazon, Ali Express, general internet search are my friends when acquiring components. I have become more of a design on the go … makes me back track sometimes but I will make it work.

Compressor sits on a platform that supports a NOS auto heater core with a muffin fan. The long black filter has a three media cartridge. It all sits on top of three gallons of distilled water- antifreeze mix circulated with the YH supplied pump. It stabilizes at ~55c and tops off my SCBA tank from 200 to 300 bar in ~ 15 minutes. Totally self contained and ready to go anytime.

P3161192.1615907408.JPG
P3161198.1615907408.JPG