• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My childhood 760 Powermaster. I think first variant but not sure.

I always kept my childhood things. Being a middle child I think that helps, my brothers have nothing. Still have lots of my toys. Anyway I've always kept this one in a safe place. Long ago I had this serviced at a Crosman Service Center here in town. Got it out recently and no pressure. Just finished resealing it and back in business! I think it's a first variant but not sure. If you can see a number on the barrel band you are better than I am.

GA trip 001.JPG

GA trip 002.JPG

GA trip 003.JPG

GA trip 004.JPG

That brings back fond memories of roaming the woods at our summer home in Maine when I was a little kid. It was the early seventies and I had no idea what fpe and ballistic coefficients were but every "safari" with my 760 was an adventure.
Mine was all metal and wood like yours unlike those plastic things they make today. I don't remember why but I preferred shooting bbs out of it instead of pellets. I'm not sure what ever happened to it. It's probably still up there buried in the closet.

Reactions: Treefrog
Wow. That's a fine example!

If the tang (stock where it fits into the back of the receiver) is square instead of round, then it's the very first model.

My older brother got one for Christmas in '67 and shared it with me on occasion. He traded it off before I got a chance to own it, so I spent over fifty years looking for another like it. Finally found one close enough to make me happy. It feels like he's with me every time I shoot it.

Cheers,

J~

Reactions: Struckat
That looks like the first bb gun I ever got to shoot at a campground around 1970. It belonged to some older boys whose families also camped at Surfside at Sandbridge every year. I had to buy the BB's to be allowed the privilege of shooting it some when they weren't using it. I learned the value of the barter system early on.

Fond memories indeed.

I remember them well...in the mid 60's...a couple of my friends had them...wood pump handle and wood butt stock...I wanted one in the worst kind of way...my parents wouldn't even hear me out...mom said "you'll shoot your eye out" dad said "your old enough to use a real gun", I spent a lot of time with my friends though! I also remember all the Crosman ads in the Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Wards big catalogs...I actually bought two of the Smith & Wesson pump up guns in 1977 (77A's) when I got put of the navy...I didn't take care of them it was just easier to buy another one at "'Wards", looking back they were very nice well made guns...think they were about 100. bucks...as much time as I spend on airgun sites haven't seen much about those S&W pumpers...I was an idiot for not taking better care of them!

Reactions: Treefrog
I remember them well...in the mid 60's...a couple of my friends had them...wood pump handle and wood butt stock...I wanted one in the worst kind of way...my parents wouldn't even hear me out...mom said "you'll shoot your eye out" dad said "your old enough to use a real gun", I spent a lot of time with my friends though! I also remember all the Crosman ads in the Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Wards big catalogs...I actually bought two of the Smith & Wesson pump up guns in 1977 (77A's) when I got put of the navy...I didn't take care of them it was just easier to buy another one at "'Wards", looking back they were very nice well made guns...think they were about 100. bucks...as much time as I spend on airgun sites haven't seen much about those S&W pumpers...I was an idiot for not taking better care of them!

Here's a catalog page from that era -1967. Sears, Penney's and Montgomery Ward's catalogs were available online at https://christmas.musetechnical.com but I'm not sure if there's a copyrights dispute as the site no longer works. Boys Life magazine used to be available as well.

CR67.jpg

J~

That's a nice one. Congrats! I haven't found a square-tang yet.

You could pump the early ones up to 25 times but you didn't get all that much velocity out of the effort. I need to chrono the '70 that I have and see how it does.

If you post about it over on Gateway to Airguns you'll get a good response. Seems most of the vintage collectors use that site. There's a lot of vintage-knowledge to be had there. It's not so springer oriented.

J~

PC010436.JPG