My camo painted Texan .308

I was out turkey hunting yesterday and just snapped a quick picture of my Texan. Mad Dog
4921texan.1618058481.jpg
stock, Hawke scope, HS silencer, and custom tank cover. 

Reactions: davidsng
It was really easy. The beauty (pun intended) of it is that you can't mess it up, lol. I wanted something camo but also 'worn' looking. I ended up using digital camo stencil that I got off of amazon and Rustoleum camo paint (3 colors, along with flat black and dark brown)

Kind of fun and the finish is just what I was looking for. The paint is wearing off (it's been almost a year) where my hand goes on the fore end but whatever...it's black underneath and just adds to the 'worn' look. I didn't have the guts to spray the scope. 

On the subject of Texan .308's.... I'm interested in upgrading mine. I've found two companies that sell after market valves for them that are supposed to ramp up the performance. One of them is Lethal air in the U.S. The other is African air ordinance out of South Africa. Has anyone upgraded with either of these two mod packages? If so, could I get some feed back on the performance?

Late to the thread, sorry. Just for $#its and giggles, what kind of a performance upgrade are you expecting? The reason I ask is that I have found over the last few years that the little things have made the most difference, while some of the advertised 'upgrades' can be misleading. Are looking to extend the range? Better accuracy? More power?

I'm not sure if speeding up the bullet will increase accuracy. Tuning mine (bone stock internals) to shoot @ 930fps using a 110 gr. slug has done wonderfully. Speeding it up only opened up the groupings. Mad Dog stock great improved groupings. Home cast/sized/lubed bullets also was a big difference. Sizing bullets to .309 was a big help. Store-bought .308 from the major companies didn't perform well despite all of the claims. Exact weight/style of bullets sized .308 were about 20fps slower than those sized .309. 

Getting off of the bipod helped too. I use the Born Wild Chair almost exclusively and I think the softer, cradling aspect helps with the harmonics a bit, but admittedly slight. I could be shooting better just because it's more comfortable and easy to hold on target.

I see a lot of youtubes about power upgrades/shooting through a chrony and the speed increase. What i don't see is where the bullets are hitting the target. Power is useless if it can't be reined in. It's like the difference between a functioning race-ready dragster and a 'cackle car' that just idles with a few throttle whacks to wow the crowd at an exhibition. Be careful of what you wish for...you MIGHT pay for an 'upgrade' that either kills performance or at the very most makes a small change. But really, what's the value of getting 975 fps (or even 1075fps) vs. 930? You're still not going to be shooting flat and you're still going to be holding over at anything past your zero. What's the difference whether it's one mildot or two?

It was really easy. The beauty (pun intended) of it is that you can't mess it up, lol. I wanted something camo but also 'worn' looking. I ended up using digital camo stencil that I got off of amazon and Rustoleum camo paint (3 colors, along with flat black and dark brown)

Kind of fun and the finish is just what I was looking for. The paint is wearing off (it's been almost a year) where my hand goes on the fore end but whatever...it's black underneath and just adds to the 'worn' look. I didn't have the guts to spray the scope.

Not that hard just tape off the lenses. I would suggest using a scratch pad to scuff up the scope a little to allow the paint to stick better.