• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

My Brocock Commander XL off bench

I have been bad-mouthing this gun for a while now. It's a 22 cal high power version. I originally bought it to shoot 50 and 100 yds with JSB 25 grain Exact Jumbo Monster redesigns. I had it tuned by a local guru and he got it to like 8 fps spread and SDL of 2. But it refused to group - or should I say it would throw two or three tight groups at 50 yrds all from same 10 shot string. Clusters of holes like an inch apart. These are weight sorted and head size sorted pellets. The vendor returned it to AoA and they replaced the barrel. I finally tried it at 20 yds today (we are literally snowed in and I am shooting indoors). Below are a couple pics of typical performance now with new barrel.

E6D19FCB-9B9F-4638-A063-7D0D5807A405.1647106482.jpeg

2D8B6822-4E77-470C-9913-E0312A418385.1647106781.jpeg

The group is 10 shots of H&M Baracuda 18 headsized and weight sorted. I tried JSB straight from tin (unsorted) and group was slightly looser so might not be good at 50 yds. The 5.52 and 5.51 head sizes shot about the same. I did not retry the redesigns as the 18 grainers shoot so well.

The target at left is practice reduced size and I figure it shot pretty well. 

Now I plan to stop bad mouthing Brockock. I still think it's pretty expensive for what it is, but it does shoot well off bench. Oh, I shoot using tripod and ball head mount with table top tripod.

Great that you're on your way to a better relationship with your Commander. Have you tried different TP settings at the same distance? Would be interesting to see how it affects POI.

That'll be my next event. Right now I'm trying to see what weight and head size do. Seems to be pretty forgiving of all I've tried. Need to chrony it also. Right now I'm at 150 on reg and high TP.

Based on my 6+ decades of shooting and stock building I find that to shoot really good from a bench usually requires a good fitting bench rest stock. Lets face it the stock on the Commander is about as far away from a bench rest stock as you can get. Yea, I now, some of the people some of the time can shoot really good groups using hunting stocks, but.........

My .22 Sniper HR HP does a fairly good job using a $100 bipod. Bet it would do better with a $400 bipod and better yet with a custom build bench rest stock. I still have 9-10 really good pieces of fancy walnut left so I may build one some day.

By the way my reg seems to be set at 165-170 from the factory.

Way back when, I had a Crosman 160 that was fun to shoot off hand at tin (yes real tin) cans but lousy when trying to shoot targets from a table. I took a red oak 2X8 and built a stock for it. The stock looked more like a 2X8 then a gun stock when I was finished but did shoot good groups.

On another note, I don't shoot at targets like in your first photo, with that tiny dot in the middle. I am convinced that dot is printed with some sort of ink that repels lead.