• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My Brocock Atomic XR Carbine

I received my Atomic XR in 177 about two weeks ago and it's been a blast. It's great as a mini carbine. I brought it to the range with a friend who's never shot a PCP and we were both having fun shooting 13 rounds through the same hole at close distances. It feels nice after seeing our groupings with 9m.

For an expensive gun it has a few downsides (besides price) but I think this is mostly due to how it was marketed. For me, I find pistol mode to be a bit silly. It's much too large to be a pistol. It also needs a moderator as it is extremely loud without one. Once you put on a moderator it's very quiet. I put a Huggett Atom on it and it did a great job.

When you switch over to carbine mode it's a ton of fun. I chose to order the adjustable hammer spring for the carbine which is needed if you want to shoot at lower energy. I believe the default hammer spring on carbine is set to maximum and despite what some have said it's not really adjustable. Whoever thought of nylon grub screws... With the three power adjustments I was able to go from 750-910 FPS with a 5.5 grain pellet. With the hammer spring adjuster I can drop this another 120 FPS giving it a pretty wide range. Without the hammer spring adjustment, you won't get 100+ shots but it does pretty well. The small cylinder actually works out nicely because filling the gun is super easy with a hand pump. 

The new magazine that it comes with is awesome. It's all metal and has a nice magnetic lock when you close it. The pellet holes are deep so I'd imagine just about any 177 ammo would fit without issue. The only thing that is kind of weird is there is no notice that you got to the last round. You just end up dry firing.

Despite some of the flaws, the Atomic has quickly become my favorite gun. It's versatile, compact, and fairly accurate.

IMG_3581.1626750069.jpg

Reactions: mmahoney
I find your statements to be true as well, I have had mine (.177) for about 3 weeks, and after sorting out a defective scope issue it has been a blast to shoot. I wanted a small carbine in .177 to do some ground squirrel control around my place west of Phoenix Az. My .22 was a bit much, and .25 was waayyyy overkill. This atomic XR has been super fun, super accurate, and deadly on the ground squirrels, with several taken at 50+ yards with one shot. That’s about a 2” wide target at 50+ yards. I’ve had a blast with it, and have no desire to use it in pistol form. Mine is moderated with a 0db moderator, and the neighbors don’t even look up when I fire it. Without the moderator they’d likely hit the deck. 

@ucchris, I don’t think it was backlash as much as convoluted marketing. That it’s a sweet mini carbine is indisputable. A pistol not so much. Also at the price point? A lot of other sweet PCPs are as attractive or more so.

That basically hit the nail squarely on the head. 

Really not sure what happened to Brocock, maybe it’s Brexit? Their gun prices gone up 300-400 dollars without ANY updates. Same price increase from daystate but not so much with AirArm and BSA. Simple fact is that I can order this thing from AOA today with no wait while L2 and M3 at $500 more has line around the block twice over. While I think they nailed it in form factor and it is cool little gun for $1000 there simply no way I would spend 1500 plus tax and shipping on one. 

Great little carbine but just not worth that price for most people. Good to see some people bought and enjoying them. 

@ucchris, I don’t think it was backlash as much as convoluted marketing. That it’s a sweet mini carbine is indisputable. A pistol not so much. Also at the price point? A lot of other sweet PCPs are as attractive or more so.

That basically hit the nail squarely on the head. 

Really not sure what happened to Brocock, maybe it’s Brexit? Their gun prices gone up 300-400 dollars without ANY updates. Same price increase from daystate but not so much with AirArm and BSA. Simple fact is that I can order this thing from AOA today with no wait while L2 and M3 at $500 more has line around the block twice over. While I think they nailed it in form factor and it is cool little gun for $1000 there simply no way I would spend 1500 plus tax and shipping on one. 

Great little carbine but just not worth that price for most people. Good to see some people bought and enjoying them. 

Those carbines are so sweet and I want one in .177 for pest bird popping out the back window. I was honestly surprised at the amount of backlash the gun got here on AGN. 

I wouldn’t call it backlash, just most common folks bulked at the price and it being a pistol. 

Not to necrobump a thread but L.Leon asked for an update. Its been a little over 6 months and the gun is still performing great. I mostly shoot indoors or in my backyard with it. I've been destroying a lot of those airgun golf balls with it too. Still as accurate as day one. Again my use for it may differ from others. I prefer to use it for plinking for the most part and my Leopold is perfect for this. My son is just to the age where he is getting curious as to what dad does so it's also been a good teaching gun for him and he was super excited to shoot with dad. Even as a tiny gun it's way to big for him but I have a bipod so its manageable.

Since getting this gun I haven't posted much here as I've been doing more rimfire and have been really getting into pistol shooting with my Ruger Mark IVs. The Atomic meets all of my needs for an airgun so I've actually sold off my other airguns and I'm completely happy with this. That being said, I'd like to one day get an actual pistol style PCP but I haven't found one I like yet.

The scope feels comfortable to me where it’s at and it shoots well. It sits lower on the Atomic than it did on my FX dream tac. It may look higher as it’s a smaller gun. I’m 5’4” so the stock is in nearly all the way so I have a nice cheek rest. I could probably get lower mounts but I like the FX ones.

Question,....why set a scope soooo high when you have the capability to set it extremely low ?

Long neck?