My Ataman Ultra Compact arrived!

"TrapdorSpydr"I too had these marks on the inside of my end cap. I then shot groups at 30 yards and 50 yards that were good in my opinion. I then compared the orifice size with that of my Colibri. The hummingbird has an even smaller hole for the pellet to exit than the M2. 
I would assume as you did that clipping is the cause, but I was putting shots within a 1/4" point of aim out a window 25 yards away, shot after shot.

The only thing foul with mine was the magazine wouldn't index pellets unless I Lubed the breach O-ring to a sloppy appearance. The magazine pellet jamming issue was the root cause for me to send mine back. I am waiting for it to get fixed or replaced as I want it back! 

The sidelever is so butter smooth easy that an impression has settled over me. The trigger is sweet. I am going to possibly tune it down to say 20 or 22 fpe and maybe the noise will go down and the shot count will go up.
The clipping marks on mine were there before I even fired a shot. I don't think the one they sent me was new judging by the chips on the stock and the way the box looked (compared to the first one they sent). My guess is that it was a return. Maybe I got your old one..

The thing with clipping is that it doesn't always effect every shot. It can give you random flyers or hurt accuracy with specific pellets. If the pellet is catching the metal as it exits the shroud then it will have an impact on accuracy which is why it is one of the things people tell each other to check when they have accuracy issues or spiraling etc. I wouldn't want to leave it like that on a gun I expected to perform like my others.

For me to be able to use that gun in my back yard, I would need to get a new shroud made anyway (for noise control) so I'll deal with both issues at the same time. I can't see myself wanting to keep it after it has been fixed though. We'll see. Maybe I'll feel differently when I get over the disappointment or when I see what it can do after a tune. Most importantly, I have to get it into a stock that is cut straight. Badly cut wood stocks are major pet hate of mine, that is 10x on expensive air guns.

With the exception of the Pistol, all Ataman guns are the same action in a different dress. The question: is this the best Ataman can do? 

Btw, I want to make it clear that I don't blame PA for Ataman's manufacturing defects. That's on them. If I was a paying customer for this product, I know I would have no issue returning it for a refund (which is what I would have done). They can only send me what they have. I also wanted to say that I am still grateful for AGN for the gift and one way or another, it will end up as a gun I enjoy using regularly, even if I sell it and put the money towards my FX Impact. 

Hard to say. I'd look at a product with different eyes if I spent 10 minutes reviewing vs being an owner. 

Also, if a company was sending me product to review, there is stuff I wouldn't say if I expected to ever get any more of that kind of business. You never see overtly bad reviews from professional reviewers. You can read between the lines a little though. 

He was clearly a lot more enthusiastic and energized in his FX Impact review, for example. There was no talk of how spoilt we are or setting expectations. I would typically talk about setting expectations only if there was something that might disappoint people. I.e. "This isn't that good but you can't expect it to be for this price". 

Expectations are everything with these things. For example, I knew the Mutant would not have a well made stock before I bought it. It was $300 cheaper than a Wildcat and I wasn't expecting to love it. It just exceeded my expectations when I shot it. It was so quiet, accurate, efficient and well made (apart from the stock). Ataman positions themselves as being high end (at least to my eye). It's price is high for a pistol carbine (especially if you add a couple of mags). I was expecting higher quality. I was expecting to look at the stock and thing "ooh that's nice" and definitely not "ugh is that cut straight?"

unmet expectations is the source pretty much every issue people have with a product or service. You tell somebody it will be ready in 10 weeks and they get it in 5, they are delighted. You tell them 3 weeks and they get it in 5, they won't be recommending you to a friend. 

It wouldn't take that much to make the Ultra Compact into a great product. If you go into it knowing that it requires some work, you won't be disappointed. People will just have to decide between that and the FX Ranchero, the Wildcat 22, the Mutant Shorty, the Warp, the Vulcan etc which are all similarly priced compact air guns. 

"shooterpt"Zebra:
Regarding the shroud issues, I've made a new barrel support. The ataman ultra shroud is free float, no A frame, so I think it needs an extra support that prevents the flexing when the shot is fired.

Also made some mods to the stock, just to make my field target shooting way easier.

Good luck!
Looks like you did a nice job on the mods. Did the barrel support work in fixing the issue?

I didnt like the oring size and TP on the barrel of the M2, so installed a larger oring and TP little bigger and smooth out the edge. the owner wanted a BSA barrel that is a little longer, without adjusting anything she was shooting the 18g 900fps stock was 840fps.

woulnt it be great if ATAman barrel machining look like mine, I just expected more when I pulled the barrel out for the 1st time. 

"sniperlabyo"I didnt like the oring size and TP on the barrel of the M2, so installed a larger oring and TP little bigger and smooth out the edge. the owner wanted a BSA barrel that is a little longer, without adjusting anything she was shooting the 18g 900fps stock was 840fps.

woulnt it be great if ATAman barrel machining look like mine, I just expected more when I pulled the barrel out for the 1st time. 
It would be awesome if the machine-work was as good as yours. You can ruin even the best barrel with careless machine-work. 

You get a LW barrel on a cheap Airforce gun. Good quality + careful metal-work and expert fine tuning is meant to be what you pay extra for when you treat yourself to a $1,500 air rifle. If you don't get that then why do it?

"shooterpt"Zebra:
Yes it worked perfect, no clipping now. Have to say that I removed the glue from the shroud/barrel when I get the gun. In the next days I plan to make some groups at 50, 75 and 90m bench rested. Done it before but shooting seated, ft position.

Regards
I didn't realize they glued that shroud to the barrel like that. Of all the things I would not want glued to my barrel, that shroud would top of the list. There goes my plans to quickly swap out the shroud for a functional one... How did you get the glue off? 

"sniperlabyo"I didnt like the oring size and TP on the barrel of the M2, so installed a larger oring and TP little bigger and smooth out the edge. the owner wanted a BSA barrel that is a little longer, without adjusting anything she was shooting the 18g 900fps stock was 840fps.

It looks very good!