My $650 Budget for a good PcP right now

I guess it depends some on how much you weigh and how much you want to but I pumped my Avenger to 4000 psi several times before getting a Yong Heng. There is a plastic cover over the metal block where the valve is but the action is not plastic. I don't like the stock much but it is accurate and fun to shoot.

I like my P35 a lot. 5.2 lbs and under 30 inches long. I've never hand pumped it but I'm sure it is possible. The air storage is 265cc and it can be filled to 250 bar so if you fill that you will be doing some work. Pumping my 180cc Avenger up was about 250 pumps. My 66cc Prod can be filled in about 30 pumps. When I go over 3000 psi I start putting my 185 lbs on the pump to finish the stroke. It does not take much strength but you do have to have some mass.

I fill a SCBA tank with my Yong Heng then fill my PCPs from it. Nice way to do it. Cost for the setup was similar to a P35. But getting a few guns first and hand pumping them is certainly a viable option. Some may be satisfied long term with a pump. They work. But if I was still hand pumping I would probably be thinking of a gun with less air storage.

I am totally new to the PCP world. I’ve had pump up and break barrel air guns and wanted to try PCP. I read many reviews for over a year. I decided to try the Air Venturi Avenger .25 caliber. Not knowing what to expect I bought a budget Bugbuster scope (compared to what is out there). I read the manual, aired it up and shot at around 25 yards to begin. First shot was about 9 inches low. I moved it up and left. I got lucky. I was within 2 rings of bullseye. Within the first 8 shots (free hand) I was all over the bullseye. This was using the JSB King .25. I ran 48 shots so far and I am sure I’m moving some, but WOW, the red bullseye was getting plastered. Straight from the box, no tune tampering since I am new to PCP’s. Fun to shoot. I can see this getting expensive too. I am also new to Airgunnation. I have been reading in the background a long time and appreciate the information. Hopefully I can get ne a stable rest to see what this gun can really do. I plan an pest and small game hunting. Maybe a coyote or more in the head that I sometimes see in my yard. Just wanted to share. Maybe it will help someone.

Batman - 

Note - pressure is...pressure. As the pressure climbs, it will ALWAYS be more difficult to continue pumping more pressure into the cylinder, no matter the gun.

As for one person say one gun is easier than another...again, pressure is pressure, all the same. Beside, a person weighing 250lbs, vs a person weighing 125lbs,...which one do you think will have less problem pumping that last 30 strokes ?

Mike

I like my Artemis P35 more than my Avenger because it is shorter, and lighter, and seems better made. But to hand pump it you would need to be determined. I was getting 70 shots per fill when it was tuned to 30 fpe, however. I also don't know if a gun without a warranty is a great first gun. It also comes without a meaningful manual. So you need to understand PCPs and be somewhat confident to set it up. The hammer spring is available outside the stock but the manual says nothing about it. You can easily change the sear engagement to lighten the trigger but, again, there is nothing in the manual about how to do it.

I think an Avenger rifle or the new bullpup would be a better first PCP. It is far easier to tune, has a warranty, and can be very accurate. A $650 budget would leave money for a nice scope.