• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

My 50 yard comparison

This comparison between the JSB 25gr and the JSB 34gr heavies Mk-ll has been done many times before I am sure. Weather seems to most always become windy during the day in the Fall, Winter and Spring around here and maybe this is the norm most everywhere I don't know. I wanted to see for myself just how well the 34gr pellets performed over the 25gr pellets. I felt pretty good on the bench today so here are my results. Both are 5 shot groups.
Gun- FX .25 Wildcat
Scope- Athlon Argos 6-24X50
Air Pressure- 200-160 Bar
Conditions:
Partly cloudy, 65*F
Moderate wind 5-10
Wind direction 150*-180*​

Haha....I know the gun is blending in with the truck.

Looks as if the heavier pellets bucked the wind better, but two groups is not enough of a sample for an ultimate decision imo. I get groups that vary like that at 50 yards all the time in the wind. Seems like if you want to get definitive you'd need to shoot one group with light, then one group with heavy multiple times to make sure the difference wasn't just a lull when you shot the smaller group. the other question-did you adjust your hold for wind or shoot to the same aim point each time?
Good shooting!
John

My time was limited today so this is what I have to start with for comparison. Wind was variable for sure but never calm. I need a wind meter but my best guess is 5-10mph.
JohnL57 my hold was the same for both groups. No adjustments or compensation for wind or drop.
Thank you both for your replies and I will for sure shoot a more extensive comparison. 

Good test. The groups are very much the same size excepting for the one shot with the lighter Kings when the wind may have dropped a little.
The wind deflection is a product of the ballistic coefficients or Cd. The original Kings are about BC 0.0372 at sea level for me and the Mk 1, 33.9 gr, run to 0.05+ BC. There is the difference .

I recently shot the Mk 1s finishing 10th against 32 rimfire shooters in an aggregate shoot for group average of 3 x 5 shot and 1 x 10 shot groups at 55 yards/ 50 metres. Unfortunately on my 3rd 5 shot group I ran down on air and the group strung vertically. The other two were sub half inch at 0.442" and 0.426". It was shot in very tricky choppy wind.

The 33.9 gr .25 Exacts are very good. I am now shooting the same weight 33.9 gr JSB in .22 cal and I think it may be even better with a slightly higher BC again.

But as the others write, more groups will tell you which group the best, but I bet you will find the heavier pellet deflects less in wind despite being slower.

In such comparative tests I generally have two targets and alternate pellets each shot when the manufacturer is the same. When they are different manufacturers I sometimes feel the factory lubricants can change things a little, so do the normal 5 shots each pellet with a couple of wasted shots each time I change pellets. ............... Kind regards, Harry.