• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

My .25 Marauder hates moderators/suppressors

Found out over the weekend with Chuck that my Marauder hates having a moderator on the end. I tried 2 different moderators a Donny FL and a Hugget. As far as sound deadening both worked great and the Donny FL was dead silent. My stock marauder will shoot 3/4in groups at 50yd with no moderator. With both the Donny FL and the Hugget I went to a 6in spread. I ended up giving the Donny FL to Chuck because it made his Streamline dead silent and even more accurate(I believe it did, but we have to do more testing on it). The only thing my marauder liked was a Hatsan .25 air stripper. I will be trying a Donny FL on my Bulldog to see if I can make it any quieter since the new adapters just got released. Maybe in the future when I get a streamline I'll buy another .25 Donny FL Sumo since it made it dead quiet and accurate. I was just so disappointed with how extreme the accuracy loss was on the marauder. I even tried it with and without the stock baffles and no difference.

We have not checked for any baffle strikes, but we switched the moderator to a different gun and it worked flawlessly and increased accuracy. I then switched to completely different moderator and had the same problem. I’m using the same adapter for both moderators on my marauder. I guess I can try a different adapter but it’s not giving me any issues with the Hatsan air stripper and that air stripper has even increased my accuracy. I’ll ask chuck to take apart the Donny FL and tell me what he finds. It’s weird that it did not like both moderators but only the air stripper

My guess is that the marauder uses an adapter with a set screw? If so it more than likely is misaligning the moderator enough to be clipping the pellet. If you really want a DonnyFL moderator then you might consider the .30 cal Moderator for your .25. that would give it more clearance.

I'm running a .25 Shogun on my .22 Prod and it works great! I also use the Shogun on my .22 Impact. It may be allowing a bit more air to pass but nothing major.

Hope this helps.

As far as I know there is no set screw on the marauder you just have a screw in adapter. The barrel shroud is tight but not over tightened. I’m ok with the marauder not being silent as long as it’s accurate. I was hoping to quiet the gun up even more.

On the bulldog I have the Pitbull mega on the gun now I just want the compact size when storing and ease of unscrewing a silencer. 

Fairly easy for the "air stripper" on the end of the marauder barrel which just slips on to be cattwompus ( sp ? ) causing rather poor alignment with the large factory shroud exit hole.
You might be pleasantly surprised with just playing around with more & shorter baffles, there are some 3d printer designs for download on the internet that look good but I've not tried them. Might just look around anywhere for useful item to use in your factory shroud. 
Maybe Donny could make you a marauder baffle insert? Centered on the barrel with an oring groove ( or not) just the the factory support/stripper? $$$ ?

Really unless you really got it set up hot you should be able to keep the sound down using the factory shroud tube.
John

The barrel on the FX Streamline is completely free floating. Last Sunday while shooting together Gabe tried his new Sumo .25 cal. moderator and my 6.5" Huggett .25 cal. moderator on his .25 Marauder...he went from 3/4" groups to 6" groups! His Marauder is plenty quiet without any moderator on it anyway, as it only generates about 36 fpe. When we put the Sumo on my Streamline to see what would happen, the poi with the Sumo was exactly the same as the poi with my Huggett. If anything, the Sumo actually gave us a little bit tighter groups than the Huggett did. Gabe sat there and put 9 out of the 10 shots into a hole that measured .30" with my calipers....and it made my Streamline dead quiet! When I say dead quiet, I mean all we heard was the click of the hammer striking the valve pin! And that is with my Streamline that is tuned to shoot the JSB 34 grainers at 62 fpe!

Gabe and I walked down to the 50 yard target and looked at the group he had shot with my Streamline/Sumo combination and looked at each other in amazement. Gabe and I both felt like it was a match made in heaven and so he graciously made me a gift of his new Sumo. He wants to buy my Streamline off me real bad, so maybe someday the Sumo will come back to him after all...but meanwhile all I can say is WOOHOO! And THANKS GABE! :)

Lots of love to DonnyFl, Chuck

1525481904_18715138885aed01b0767974.71707009_moderator.jpg

I use Tim Hill's 8" LDC. Works great and I've experienced no pellet clipping, It just makes the gun a lot longer.