Muzzle brake for supression

IMO (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong), suppressing a springer is a bit like trying to suppress a revolver. The springer mechanism noise can't be reduced without tuning down the power and that is probably half (maybe??) the total noise of a springer. The muzzle noise reduction from a quality airgun use only moderator will likely be in the 5-6 dB range. To your ear as the shooter I don't think you'll notice a significant diffrence at the end of the day.

I have a couple of springers with moderators. I compared an older HW97 with long barrel and a new model with removable muzzle cap. On the new model I installed two rubber grommets to see if there was any change in sound when firing, but I couldn't tell and later removed them.

Recently I tried a screw on HW moderator with my HW98 and there isn't a noticeable difference even after a tune kit was installed.

I also have a couple of old Diana 45s. One has shortened barrel and Mac1 Gen 2 brake and the other has a stock barrel. Not much difference in report, but they're not shooting above 12 ft lbs. I plan to do some testing soon with noise measuring app and chrony.

As mentioned there isn't much of a noticeable reduction in noise at the firing line and a tune might be the most effective way to reduce noise with springers. There may be some reduced volume downrange when using a moderator or with higher velocity rifles.

IMO (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong), suppressing a springer is a bit like trying to suppress a revolver. The springer mechanism noise can't be reduced without tuning down the power and that is probably half (maybe??) the total noise of a springer. The muzzle noise reduction from a quality airgun use only moderator will likely be in the 5-6 dB range. To your ear as the shooter I don't think you'll notice a significant diffrence at the end of the day.
Well...

I had a Crosman Fire a while back and as you say, the mechanism was VERY LOUD (Nitro piston), but I never heard the impact of the pellet UNTIL I made a slip-on DIY moderater/silencer and attached it to that gun. Not only could I actually hear the impact of the pellet, I also was able to get a LOT more shots at the pests I was targeting as they did not flee so much as they did before I had the suppressor installed. Of course, the pests DID learn to run after the first shot over time... (chuckle)

Not much you can do to quiet most springers/NP airguns as far as the mechanism, but believe me, it IS worth quieting down the muzzle report!!! (smile)

Just a few thoughts from my own personal experience. A more quiet airgun has MANY benefits! (smile)

p.s.

Referring to the OP:

I don't think a "muzzle break" will do much to suppress/quiet the muzzle report, but it *might* improve accuracy... maybe...kinda...sorta...if you are lucky... (smile) YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: pdxFrank
Suppressing a revolver is easy - if it's a Nagant.

anecdotal, but i got a -10dB and more consistent shot noise-level with a DonnyFL KOI on a Walther Parrus .177 magnum break-barrel.
parruswithdonnyfl_1stdate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: