• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Must have springers?

Diana 75 , When one is set up right it is Truly recoilless and killer accurate .....
FWB 300 , My favorite springer . Not the most versatile , but go to on a daily basis .....
Diana 65-66 , Probably the most accurate break barrel rifles I've ever fired , maybe ever made ?....
HW35 , To me the true gentleman's rifle , compact , easy to shoot well , old world craftsmen touches .... 
HW30 , Easiest standard springer to shoot well I've ever seen . Perfect " Back porch " gun .....
And the ones still on my Bucket List 
Anschutz 250
AirArms Pro Elite
HW98 

I don't know if I would vote for anything specific, but here are my general recommendations:
  • A low power break-barrel springer in .177. (ex. Diana 25, HW30s) No need to tune.
  • A medium power, pro-tuned springer in .177 or .20, either break-barrel or under lever. (ex. HW95, TX200, HW77/97)
  • A pro-tuned high power side or under-lever in .22 (ex. Diana 48, 52, Mauser)
I think the tuning is more important that the base gun. As long as the barrel is good and the general design is good, a pro-tune makes a HUGE improvement.

If you know what you're doing, a home tune can be good too. Otherwise, it can be more trouble than it's worth.

From my own collection, I have:
  • HW30s, .177 @ 6.5 FPE which I home-tuned with a Vortek kit. It's not any better than stock. Don't bother.
  • TX200, .177 @ 15 FPE, which is pro-tuned. Excellent rifle, no complaints at all. (once it was tuned. It was quite buzzy, in stock form)
  • Diana 48, .22 @ 19 FPE, which was home-tuned by the previous owner with a Vortek kit. I'm tempted to have this one pro-tuned, as I think it could be a lot better. Trigger's heavy, and it's not any more accurate than a home tuned Stoeger X20 at 1/4 the price. (though the Stoeger is shooting at 12 FPE)
"Must-have" depends on what a fellow will do with the gun, I guess. For example, to someone who will never hunt, there's not much point in the high power springer.

The ones i have that are worth to mention are hw97k .22 very accurate and works 24/7 if i want to, a workhorse indeed. Hw35 .177 made in 1969 but so smooth and accurate i just cant belive it, probably the best buy i ever have done! Lgv master pro .177, powerful and accurate as a pcp, hatsan 125th .25 powerful and alot of fun to plink with opensighted. The guns on my wishlist are hw97kt or Hw98 in 177 or 20 cal, can't decide wich one, Hw80 in .22 or .25, would be cool to get both the accurasy and power from a hw in 25. 

"mark404"At the very top of my I WANT list......
I would really like to get my hands on a RWS Diana 52 in .20 cal
Yeah, it would be perfect in .20 cal. I have a 52 in .22, and it's shooting the 14.3 gr. pellets at around 750 fps. Not loopy, but not flat either.

I had a 56TH in .177, and it was zinging out the 10.x gr. heavies at around 900. That's flat, but you can't really go fast enough to get 20-25 FPE while keeping the accuracy.

.20 would be just right. In general, I consider it the perfect springer caliber. Shame it got beaten to the punch by .177 and .22.

I love my HW97KT in 177. I Installed a vortek kit and tuned it myself. The best day I had with it I shot a 2.5" spinner 12 times in a row at 80 yards. The gun is more accurate than I am. My wife hit the same spinner five times in a row at 80 yards. I've probably shot 25 tins through it. It helped me earn my 150 yard patch with the "Long Rangers". It is hard for me to believe there is a better springer out there on the market today. But I admit that I don't have a lot of experience with good quality springers. I grew up shooting cheep department store airguns.