• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Must a New HW 97k be Tuned

I’m trying to decide on a springer. I have PCP base covered.

Looking at HW97KT and AA TX 200.

So much I read indicates that the HW should be dismantled to remove factory gunk, cleaned, and greased differently. I’ve never done anything that invasive with an air rifle before and don’t want to start now.

If this a requirement to enjoy HW97, the TX200 wins.

What do owners of HW say?

I personally don't think it is a must. The gun will probably shoot just fine. I own 2 of them, and both were used and came tuned already. However, I have tuned other guns and it really is not a very difficult process. I have shot both the TX200 and the HW97 and prefer the HW97. I did not care for the anti-bear trap on the TX. The only difficult part of the HWs is being able to compress the spring in. 

Another thought is to look at the Walther LGV or LGU. I own 2 LGVs, one tuned in .177, one not tuned in .22. It's weird, but the .177 needed it, the .22 did not. Go figure. If you decide to tune, reach out and will be happy to help. 

The LGV comes in two power levels, I prefer the 12fpe model. It is very mild mannered, extremely accurate, and very easy to work on. The LGV being the break barrel version, and the LGU being the fixed barrel version. I chose the LGV because it literally has fixed barrel accuracy due to it's positive barrel lock system. In 12FPE it is a very capable hunter. Mine loves the Polymags, they slam into squirrels with authority, one shot, one kill. Gun can be tuned without a spring compressor, but I think maybe the 12fpe model may not need it. I got the FAC model because it was the only one available. Tuning it is easy, but not as "plug and play as the others". 

*Edit: Both guns (HW97 and LGV) can be tuned to the power level that you prefer. They are probably just as powerful as each other from the box, but not sure of this, if different, probably negligible. I have grown to enjoy the 12fpe power level. Throw in a Vortek kit and the shot cycle is very smooth and pleasant to shoot. Both guns very accurate and deadly. Also, the Walthers have a reputation for not so good trigger. To be honest, I hated my trigger when I first got it, so I installed an aftermarket Rowan trigger and ended up messing up a little, and the trigger had actually settled in and was very acceptable by the time I messed with it. Should have left it alone, the one on my .22 is I stock form and works very well after braking in. (I'm not a huge trigger snob, your millage may vary)

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/intenseaty22s-walther-lgv-master-pro-177/

I own both the TX and the HW. Neither 'require' tuning. Both are extremely capable and accurate right out of the box. The HW had a 'twang' to it, but it didn't seem to bother the accuracy. Over time, I got tired of it, and had Motorhead tune it, and it's just the nicest rifle now.

Either one you get, or both if you wanna live large, shoot it a few thousand rounds before you commit to a tune. Make sure you really want it tuned, and who knows, it might actually shoot in to be just perfect!!!

I have a HW97 that was stock and then I installed a JM Hornet Kit (fitted rear guide). Stock, it had a little twang but was enjoyable to shoot. With the kit, twang was eliminated but I noticed there was a slight buzz to the shot cycle that was not there before the install. Weird. I think the buzz may be caused by how the cocking arm locks into the latch. The latch is spring loaded which may contribute to the buzz. By buzz I mean a vibration. 

On the other hand, my AA prosport with a JM spring and piston seal is dead calm upon firing. So is my HW50 with a JM kit and seal. 

Gabe

I just ordered TX200 In .22 walnut. 
thanks for the input. 

The Walther was a bit longer and heavier than TX, on paper. The HW didn’t come in Walnut.

I have both the LGU and LGV. Both in .177 and IMO they are great rifles. The appearance is fine for me but they certainly don't have the beautiful walnut available on the AA guns and the T200 seems to be an excellent rifle from all I've read (no personal experience with them). Enjoy it.

I own a TX200 MKIII in .177, a Weihrauch HW97K .22, and the Walther LGU Varmint in .22 plus other pcp and spring rifles.

After owning them for a while, I felt the need to have the TX and the 97 both tuned by Motorhead, and the difference pre-tune / post tune was remarkable in terms of accuracy, trigger break, and harmonics. If you want to get the most out of your investment, I would consider having them tuned by a professional. I tried the kit route in my TX and at least in my case, it was a waste of my money. The Walther is so smooth, I doubt that I will send it off.

Regardless, your TX will be a fine rifle.

Enjoy.

Congrats, the TX200 is an excellent spring gun. I love spring guns and tinkering on them is part of the fun. All of my guns are either pro tuned or have a drop in tune kit.

All that said, IMHO any of these HW or AA springers shoot just fine and should give you years of service right out of the box. My hw97k had some twang pre-tune, but it was extremely accurate.

R

You are going to be mighty pleased when you lay your eyes on that walnut stocked TX200 mk3. 

I did for the first time when I scored a lefty (walnut, .177) which arrived just day before yesterday. One word: outstanding!

After a barrel swabbing with Ballistol, I fired off some pellets inside my place to get the windage correct on the Hawke scope. Super accurate but not really a test as to what it’s intended purpose. Can’t wait to see what it/I can do at about 50 yards, outdoors. And I didn’t hear a hint of twang. That didn’t prevent me from ordering some springs/seals from JM though 😉 

Pretty much the most beautiful air rifle I’ve seen. That barrel blacking looks like black chrome! The bear trap release button is nice in my eyes having only the crude release on the Diana 430L to compare it to. The left handed version has a left handed breech as well, not just a lefty piece of wood. I’m over the moon with mine ❤️

rub it down with beeswax and enjoy!!!